Author Topic: Darwin cheated again  (Read 3572 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Darwin cheated again
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:57:40 AM »
https://gma.yahoo.com/connecticut-hiker-films-close-encounter-black-bears-134558483--abc-news-pets.html#

So she approaches two bears and is surprised when one almost takes a taste of her?  What ever happened to yelling and being big and scaring a bear off?
Black bears are skittish out east.  Unless you're stupid, then they might very well eat you.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Darwin cheated again
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »
Lots of bear sightings around here in transitional urban/suburban areas lately.  Either the news services are bandwagoning on reports (as usual), or the mother ship has finally given them the take-over code.

"Yogi has a long moustache."

"The pic-a-nic basket is against the wall."

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:20:14 PM »
Have you considered that there is a lessening of the taking of stupid hoomans?  More of them getting within interaction distance of wildlife and them passing out Scoobie snacks instead of assuming I-could-hurt-you postures/noises or getting their snouts smacked with anything from a rolled up newspaper through a shovel to the side of the head to highly kinetically charged small particles.  Critters start learning these strange feeding stations are fairly reliable and low mess, as opposed to having to cache the 350 pounds of leftovers.

Folks convicted of second offense feeding wildlife ought to be staked out in their back yards without Scoobie snacks and let the beasts express their disappointment.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 03:02:57 PM »
Lots of bear sightings around here in transitional urban/suburban areas lately.  Either the news services are bandwagoning on reports (as usual), or the mother ship has finally given them the take-over code.

"Yogi has a long moustache."

"The pic-a-nic basket is against the wall."

You don't remember back sometime in the 1990s when the Colorado voters drastically cut back on the hunting seasons for the cute little bears  ???

Used to be you could hunt black bears from April to October.  You didn't hardly ever see one because they were so skittish.  Now Yogi and Boo-Boo aren't afraid of guns anymore and have moved to the big city.  ;/

Cause, meet Effect  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 04:32:41 PM »
And the follow-up is that the Connecticut wildlife department (whatever they call themselves) have now decided they need to "euthanize" the bear -- for being a bear.

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20150901/connecticuts-wildlife-policy-debated-after-encounter-with-bear
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:53:38 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 07:13:16 PM »
And the follow-up is the the Connecticut wildlife department (whatever they call themselves) have now decided they need to "euthanize" the bear -- for being a bear.

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20150901/connecticuts-wildlife-policy-debated-after-encounter-with-bear

By that standard we should seriously consider euthanizing morons...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 07:26:52 PM »
It's a good thing the bear didn't actually eat her.

It probably would have made the bear sick.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:03:30 PM »
It's a good thing the bear didn't actually eat her.

It probably would have made the bear sick.

Many cougars, bears and other wild life consider yuppies to be a delicacy!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 09:36:57 PM »
Deleted by poster.  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:55:09 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 10:17:43 PM »
Many cougars, bears and other wild life consider yuppies to be a delicacy!

We humans do love our junk food, so this makes sense.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 12:00:20 AM »
We humans do love our junk food, so this makes sense.

We also have a nation wide epidemic of obesity.  =|

Maybe we need a new wildlife conservation effort "Don't feed the wildlife your fat ass!"
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 12:23:38 AM »
We also have a nation wide epidemic of obesity.  =|

Maybe we need a new wildlife conservation effort "Don't feed the wildlife your fat ass!"

But then they would have to spend almost every moment after waking up from hibernation fattening up for the next hibernation.

Bears are part of the 99% too, and deserve a summer vacation.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
If they are going to kill the bear anyway, it might as well have some fun.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »
I'm sitting in a ground blind waiting for Yogi to come in and eat 300 grains of JFP.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »
I'm sitting in a ground blind waiting for Yogi to come in and eat 300 grains of JFP.

"Hey, Boo Boo!. Ow! I got a boo boo!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »
Well, the deed is done. They kilt it.

http://foxct.com/2015/09/02/sessions-woods-bear-euthanized/

And they got a tufer -- they also euthanized another bear that they hadn't  been looking for, apparently "out of an abundance of caution" (to use the current .gov terminology).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 05:53:12 PM »
#blackbearlivesmatter   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 06:00:30 PM »
Well, the deed is done. They kilt it.

http://foxct.com/2015/09/02/sessions-woods-bear-euthanized/

And they got a tufer -- they also euthanized another bear that they hadn't  been looking for, apparently "out of an abundance of caution" (to use the current .gov terminology).

As long as the Fish & Game officers go home alive at the end of their shift...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 07:07:13 PM »
Matt Drudge took me to this: http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20150902/deep-bear-that-approached-hiker-in-burlington-has-been-killed

Looks like some folks aren't happy with their .gov agents ...