Author Topic: Kalifornia bans "dirty power"  (Read 2338 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Kalifornia bans "dirty power"
« on: January 25, 2007, 01:22:36 PM »
Weren't these the same people that were experiencing rolling blackouts just recently because they didn't have enough power to meet the demand?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070125/ap_on_re_us/dirty_power

Sometimes you really wonder about what goes through people's minds (or whatever they have that passes for a brain...)

rolleyes

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

drewtam

• friend
Re: Kalifornia bans "dirty power"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 01:27:26 PM »
I am sorry but all I could do when I read the article was:

laugh  laugh  laugh

Its stories like this that make it easy for me to laugh at thier misery.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 01:30:15 PM »
It seems to me, if they actually believe that there is "global warming", and that they need to do something about it, it would be far more constructive to commence building a few nuclear power plants, which generate no "greenhouse gasses" at all.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:32:59 PM »
They export pollution. Pure and simple.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 02:06:24 PM »
Personally, I like the 21st century... why do leftists always want to regulate us back to the stone age?
Andy

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 02:22:32 PM »
The Kalifornicators actually voted by public referendum to dismantle and sell for scrap the 2700 megawatt nuclear reactor at Rancho Seco, which had been in operation all of 14 years. SMUD was promised 10 years' worth of subsidized electric power from the Diablo Canyon reactor facility. (See a trend here?) At the public auction I managed to buy tools and diagnostic equipment that were basically brand new. (Yes, I did a radioassay on all of the stuff once I brought it home...) SMUD (Sacramento Municipal Utilities District) sold everything in an attempt to recoup what they had sunk into the reactor facility.  Last I knew, it cost $518 Million to decommission that reactor.

The morons deserve every rolling blackout they get.  angry
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 03:22:40 PM »
I have no problem with people that want to think we are causing "global warming" or whatever.

The question I have is that if they truly believe in their cause, then why are they not stopping all energy use.
I don't see any of them giving up their cars or even public transportation.  Why aren't they boycotting any and all forms of energy use?
Shouldn't they live by example?

That's all fine and dandy if you think everyone should sacrifice in order to "cure" the ills you made up in your mind.

But practice what you preach before trying to get the gubermint to make me follow your wacky beliefs at the butt of a gun.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 03:46:10 PM »
Didn't they shut down a wind farm near San Francisco a few years back because of a few dead seagulls?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 03:46:38 PM »
This should result in excess generating capacity here in Utah and, I hope, lower power bills for me.  Thank you, California!!!
Don

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 03:50:15 PM »
Didn't they shut down a wind farm near San Francisco a few years back because of a few dead seagulls?
Altamont?  As I recall, it was hawks and eagles that were getting shredded. 1,500 a year?
Don

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 03:57:08 PM »
This should result in excess generating capacity here in Utah and, I hope, lower power bills for me.  Thank you, California!!!

Hey, will this have a wave affect!? Will Utah have extra capacity, so that Colorado has extra capacity, so that Missouri has extra capacity, so that Illinois has extra capacity?

Illinois is about to lift the utility price cap and everyone is expecting large price hikes. This could be a nice offset.

Drew
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 04:12:31 PM »
California deserves itself.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 04:29:01 PM »
Hey, will this have a wave affect!?

It's possible.  I'm sure these plants that currently sell most of their power to CA won't just close - too much of a capital investment.
Don

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 05:33:58 PM »
When I first read the title, I thought Kalifornistan was going to be without politicians!!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »
Law of Unintended Consequences:

Coal is much more plentiful than petroleum and natural gas, as well as being generally less useful as a feedstock for chemical processes.  So let's just burn up all our petroleum and natural gas.  Sad

Not to mention that we get all our coal here, whereas we have to import oil and N.G.  This should be a big help for energy independence. Sad

Can't believe I actually voted for the governator.  Twice.  Sad  Sad  Sad

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 06:42:18 PM »
Someone said wind. Utterly useless. It is a tax credit and Renewable portfolio standards dodge; especially when you think about how much energy it takes to build and erect a wind turbine. The most rosy scenario wind power folks have is eventually generating 10% of this nation's power. Our total power use increases by about 1.5% a year. Hmmm. Spend the same money to buy everyone in the country an efficient home heating system and more would be accomplished.  Build nuke, nuke, nuke. Our uranium supply should get us by long enough to figure out how to do fusion without destroying the entire world by accident. Coal with modern emissions control has a large place in our plan for energy independence too.  Of course instead of all the hysteria about the mid-east controlling our life it would also be useful to mention that we get most of our oil from Canuckistan. I guess that does not make good TV news.

And oh yeah,  California deserves everything it gets. 
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 02:48:51 AM »
Question: Would this (see below) offset that (dirty power)?

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/business/16541821.htm?source=rss&channel=cctimes_business

Eco-friendly power plant work begins
In 2009, PG&E slated to open Antioch facility to generate 530 megawatts
By Janis Mara
MEDIANEWS STAFF
Pacific Gas & Electric Co. broke ground Wednesday on a more environmentally friendly natural-gas-fired plant in Antioch that will generate enough electricity to power 400,000 homes in Northern and Central California.

San Francisco-based PG&E is starting work anew on the partially completed plant, which it acquired from independent power producer Mirant Corp. after Mirant went bankrupt.

PG&E will spend about $370 million to finish the 530-megawatt Gateway Generating Station, expected to open in 2009.

The project should be a short-term job boon, employing 400 workers at peak construction time. When it opens, the plant will have 23 to 25 employees.

Gateway will use "dry cooling" technology, which uses 97 percent less water and produces 96 percent less discharge than conventional water cooling systems, PG&E said. Also, it will use fuel-saving combined cycle technology.

"At the moment, combined cycle is the industry standard. What you get is pretty clean" energy, said Frank Wolak, a Stanford University professor and visiting scholar at the University of California Energy Institute.

"A combined cycle unit uses the waste heat generated by one turbine to help power another turbine," so less energy is wasted, Wolak said. The technology uses 35 percent less natural gas, and hence about one-third less carbon dioxide for every megawatt hour of energy produced, according to Paul Moreno, a PG&E spokesman.

One megawatt of energy equals roughly enough electricity to power 750 average California homes under normal conditions.

When Mirant started building the plant, located along the San Joaquin River, it planned to use river water in energy generation, Moreno said. But with more up-to-date technologies being used, it's not necessary to use water from the river, he said.

Reach Janis Mara of the Oakland Tribune at 510-208-6468 or jmara@angnewspapers.com.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 08:26:56 AM »
Yep.

And what is REALLY interesting is why those rolling blackouts happened in the first place.

The entire state of California was royally *expletive deleted*ed by its legislature.

So what do the people do?

They allow the legislature to prolong the process and make it even more like rape.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 09:00:06 AM »
Rape? Nah. In a democratic system such as ours, I believe Lawdog put it best when he said "people get the government they deserve" (or something like that).

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 10:44:01 AM »
The deal is, in California, burning natural gas doesn't emit CO2.  Nuke plants do.

Duh?

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.