Main Forums > The Roundtable

HVAC question: is my heat pump broken?

<< < (2/2)

MillCreek:

--- Quote from: Jim147 on October 20, 2021, 01:41:22 PM ---Check your air filter if you haven't and then like Nick said make sure the unit is runnning. Hopefully they wired it with an emergency switch so you can go to the power sucking strips if needed.

--- End quote ---

'Emergency heat' is one of the system options on the Honeywell thermostat.

Brad Johnson:

--- Quote from: Nick1911 on October 20, 2021, 12:52:54 PM ---You'll probably want to have a technician look it over.

Is your outdoor heat pump actually running?

--- End quote ---

This. Could be a simple a fragged contactor or a faulty reversing valve.

Also, make sure your condenser coils are clean. Heat pumps are hella sensitive to blocked coils.

Brad

MillCreek:
So I arrive home, the house is at 68 degrees, the outside heat pump is spinning quietly away and warm air is coming out of the registers.  The heat pump clearly sensed that I was invoking the A-team here, and decided to get with the program.  Hmmm.

Jim147:
Look at the coldest day in the extended forecast. That is the day it will die.

JTHunter:
What Ben said about a possible leak is accurate and makes sense IF your system runs for a longer than usual or cycles more frequently.

Not a heat pump but my furnace is an 18 y.o. nat. gas and wouldn't come on Monday.  I heard the inducer motor (to create draft in the flue) come on, runf for about a minute, then stop.  There was no "click" of the hot surface igniter or the main burners coming on and I was afraid it was the electronic control module (ECM) which had failed twice in 3 years (damned electronics !!) at just over $500 each time.  [popcorn]
After taking the chimney apart to gain access the inducer (after finding no problems with the vacuum line), he looked into the housing and said the impeller had disintegrated.
They brought out another motor but that damned thing cost $779.oo !!!  Then there was the $99 service call on top of that (of course).  :facepalm:  [barf]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version