Author Topic: All Politics, from Commie to Libertarian, are Authoritarian (rant)  (Read 2143 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Politics are the distractions of people who want to control other people's lives, usually because they fail at their own. People who pursue politics that are grander than those on an interpersonal level pretty much revert to a de facto position of "this is how people should live." Even self-styled anarchists fall into this trap, shunning or even silencing using force those who don't agree with their opinions. Anarchists, Libertarians and others generally say things like "people SHOULD have freedom," or "freedom is good" and basic assumptions like that, that they spout off as fact. A cursory glance at the real world shows that no, not all people should have freedom, and those people that shouldn't have freedom generally don't.

In this corporeal world, things are governed by how much one wants something and how strong one is willing to push for it. If you're not strong enough to gain something by force or otherwise, then you won't get it. Unless someone stronger than you gains it for you, and gives it to you. Thus some people NEED to be dependent on others, that's simply all they can do. This is model for a government. THis may seem socially darwinists to those who are inclined to run screeching from anything anyone who can be labeled as that says, but keep a closer look. Life is darwinian. Even if those who don't beleive in social Darwinism take power, it's because they are stronger than all other parties... following Darwinate theories. Reality hurts... but only if you're not paying attention.

I've found that you can basically do what you want, if it doesn't harm other people. Although I prefer not to do that stuff for dumb idealistic reasons, nobody tends to care what you're doing unless it affects them. I've carried illegal weapons, done illegal drugs, smoked and drank underage, ridden a bike without a helmet, jaywalked, been out way too late, ad infinitum/naseum. Now, currently, I'm a fairly law abiding cititzen... BECAUSE I WANT TO BE.

Here comes the shocker, straight out of a Heinlein novel:

Everyone does everything because they want to. I do everything I do because I want to. This includes following the law, because I'm not willing to accept the consequences thereof. But, say, if the government made coffee illegal, I would probably drink it anyway. Willing to deal with consequences means willing to take the action.

However, one of the actions I refuse to take (because doing nothing is still doing something) is to allow someone else to control me. This is the extent of the politics I hold. If I do something, it's because I want to, and I want to be able to say that the whole way through. It makes me glad I do what i do.

All politics are self serving. If, say, there was some sort of libertarian revolution or something just as fun I would probably take part in it, because it interests me and it serves my end. At least I admit it. But those dedicated to controlling and taxing me for the benefit of others don't see that their policies are self serving too, in a feel-good kind of way. Even logical positions, such as republicanism suffer from this untenable thought pattern. No, not everyone should have freedom, if you hand it out like candy it'll be come just as frivolous.

In short to most people I would say this: don't try to pretend that you know what's going on in the world, I bet you barely know what's going on in your life. I don't know anyone I'd give a vote to. People who can't run their lives perfectly shouldn't have any say over others. And noone runs their life perfectly. Thus, give me freedom or give me death, or just silence.

More later
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Standing Wolf

• friend
All Politics, from Commie to Libertarian, are Authoritarian (rant)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 05:37:05 PM »
Everyone does everything because they want to. I do everything I do because I want to.
I suggested a few posts above that you might want to think about signing up for a college level logic course. Let me amend that thought, please. I urge you to do it.

You need to connect a transmission to that motor. No telling where you'll go.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 08:50:14 PM »
Thanks Standing Wolf... I will follow that advice. In the mean time, is there anything I could look up, in a lending library or on wikipedia that would further this? Any specific books or just general topics you reccomend that would add to my persuasiveness?

RANT CONTINUES:::
 I think we all agree that the determinator of freedom is ability to accept the consequences of that freedom, and the inherent responsibilities and obligations. So is freedom really freedom? What if I'm not willing to pay that price tag? (as so many seemingly aren't) Is there anything really wrong with that? Or does it only turn wrong when they try to extend there unwillingness on to me. Are those who would steal my freedom just jealous that I'm strong enough to keep it? Or is that just your average narcissitic libertarian bs?

Hey, at least I'm at the point in the rant where I'm asking questions.

If everyone wants it, is it really fascism?
Jack
APS #22
Right?

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 09:20:04 AM »
+1 to Standing Wolf. You're what, sixteen? Seventeen? From what I've seen, you've got a better gtrip on some things than people twice your age.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 11:52:13 AM »
I'm with the pack here, Winston.  You are just way, way too young to have grasped some of these concepts.  Somehow, you have been blessed with a perception that has not only given you much pain, it has granted you much wisdom.  If you really are 17, and you've posted pic's, so I think you're not pulling our chain, I hope you can direct your blessing in a fashion that is productive.  The Union needs folks like you.
Don't flame out on us, Winston.  Maybe your purpose is not evident yet.  Maybe you'll have some more pain before you're done, but Illigitimi non carborundum est, my fine young friend.
Grampster
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 11:53:48 AM »
Winston, I always enjoy reading your posts. Such things coming from a young man living where you do, gives me hope for our country. Glad to hear the progress with the cig and alcohol addictions. I wish I'd had your mindset when I was your age.
I too, echo what Standing Wolf said.
Hi.

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 01:42:08 PM »
Grampster: Not quite 17 yet, in a few days. And I'm just 17 enough to want to go to Hooters on my birthday and then on a road trip with my best buddy after that...

To all others: I came spoiling for an argument, and all I get is praise... I guess there are worse things.

People also universally view me as a steadfast, loyal, completely trustworthy person who upholds a higher standard of courtesy. Why? Because I want to be that way.
BINGO! The man has it.

To do anything solely "because it is the right thing" causes major resentment, at least for me. But to do the right thing, not only because it's "right" in my moral code but also simply because "I wanna"... That's when I feel fufilled. I don't know about careers or children or anything, but the ability to do good in the world because I want to fufills me.

I put it to you all: Is the only way to have real successful interpersonal relationships to be selfishly giving? To give because it feels good? To help because you want to? Seems to be the best way I've found.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 02:34:12 PM »
To do anything solely "because it is the right thing" causes major resentment, at least for me. But to do the right thing, not only because it's "right" in my moral code but also simply because "I wanna"
It's wonderful when the right thing and our desires coincide. That happens most of the time when we shape our desires in accordance with rightness; even so, it sometimes happens that the right thing isn't the desired thing.

Conflict. Turmoil. Unhappiness.

Curiously, figuring out the right thing is 90% of the battle, and still more curiously, the right thing virtually never varies from culture to culture or over time. The right thing has always been the right thing.

Nobody ever said accepting it is child's play.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 07:00:54 PM »
Winston,
If you have done nothing else, you have got Standing Wolf to post more than one sentence.  Take it from there, Laddie my boy.Cheesy

Heck, boy.  I'm 62 and I want to go to Hooters too.  Pick me up on the way, huh?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 03:01:38 AM »
If you haven't read Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead you may want to pick them up at your library.

As with everything I dont subscribe to all of Ayn Rands ideas but the books are worth checking out.