Author Topic: Deus Ex!!!  (Read 2941 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Deus Ex!!!
« on: May 01, 2005, 02:15:05 PM »
If anyone wants to ship me or burn for me (or heck, file transfer over AIM) Deus Ex for macintosh, I would return the favor. I've got a bunch of assorted games, and a crapload of music I'd burn and/or file transfer or whatever.

That said, who else played this game? I think it's my favorite computer game ever, the only one that actually had me caring about the characters and the story line... amazing! What ending did you choose the first time? What was your armament, where did you put your skills, favorite secrets?

I used that 10mm pistol almost exclusively, amped it and my skill with it... I liked sneaking and well placed shots, followed by some GEP W/P rounds... and that mod that allowed you to regenerate HP, that was the BEST.

Your thoughtS?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Phyphor

• friend
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 02:31:08 PM »
Ah yea...

Myself, I was more of a hacker / shooter type.  When I started out, I used the crossbow to tranq the NSF...once I discovered MJ12 operatives beneath Hell's Kitchen, I just wiped them out....  I preferred the Sniper rile, assault rifle, and 10mm silenced pistol, until I got the dragon's tooth.

First ending I picked was Tracer Tong's "dark ages" ending.... it's a pity you can't allow Page to win...

That'd  be interesting to see....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Telperion

• friend
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 02:42:33 PM »
Probably my favorite game too.  I think I've played it through 3 times, each time after a long break.  No other game has given me that kind of replay value.  Each time I tried a different set of skills and weapons -- there's a tremendous depth of gameplay.

It's a pity the sequel didn't match up to the original -- it was just awful.

I'm a big fan of Warren Spector's work; you should also look at the Thief series.  The latest Thief game has some great level design (one in particular rivals just about anything I've seen).

jrob24

Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 06:37:32 PM »
The first time through I was a hacker/sniper. Second time I was all violence no subltlety. If I remember right I had a GEP gun, highly modified pistol, sniper rifle, assault rifle, assault shotgun, baton. the first ending I did was merge with Helios b/c I was scared of those karkians Smiley

Phyphor

• friend
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 07:08:59 PM »
Oh yea, did you guys ever observe Karkian behavior?  When you have to get your brother's datavault, cap a secretary or a doctor and leave the body in front of the Karkian lair, then open the door....... they'll go right to the corpse and start eating it.  If you don't disturb them and there's plenty of corpses, they'll go grazing...
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Phyphor

• friend
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 07:21:51 PM »
Come to think of it, there's LOTS of little details in DEus Ex that make that game rock hard.  Just off the top of my head, the sheer amount of dialog availible if you keep talking to everyone is pretty good.  Also, you can cause certain events to unfold differently in the story, like when Sandra Renton's being tossed up by her "boyfriend," normally, you walk up to him, talk to him, threaten him, and he leaves.  Well, one day, I figured "screw that," whipped out my 10mm silenced, dealt him a triple tap to the head, and talked to Sandra..she acts all shocked and horrified that homeboy got blown away right in front of her!
You can also give her dad a pistol to help defend himself agains Jojo, (and if you hang out when Jojo comes downstairs and get in a fight with him, he'll help shoot the bastard)
Wow, what else.... in Hell's Kitchen, if you take the back way out of Smugglers, you'll see 2 NSF thugs roughing up some guy on the basketball courts.  Wait long enough and they'll murder him on the spot.  But if you shoot one of them, the other will execute the poor guy and fire on you.  The only way I found to save them was to pop a teargas grenade and cap both the thugs, (the guy's real grateful, and gives you a bit of information)
Depending on what you do, Sandra Renton may or may not meet you at the gas station near Vandenburg....

Oh, and if your hacking skills are good (or if you use chests. ;-) ) you can read everyone's emails and figure out early a lot about what's going on....

Sean Smith

Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 04:43:16 AM »
DX was a pretty amazing game.  Too bad DX2 was such a turd... buggy, dumbed down, and the performance was *awful* even though the graphics weren't that good.

I didn't kill anyone until MJ12 showed up, then all bets were off.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 06:59:29 AM »
If anyone wants to ship me or burn for me (or heck, file transfer over AIM) Deus Ex for macintosh, I would return the favor. I've got a bunch of assorted games, and a crapload of music I'd burn and/or file transfer or whatever.
There's no nice way to say this so I'll just be blunt...

*expletive deleted*ing Pirate - you're a thief plain and simple. angry

Why is it that some people think they should get commercial software products for free? Software is no different than any other product. People work hard to produce it. Shoplifting is wrong and will land you in jail - how is software piracy any different?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 07:42:00 AM »
Quote from: Werewolf
There's no nice way to say this so I'll just be blunt...

F**king Pirate - you're a thief plain and simple. angry

Why is it that some people think they should get commercial software products for free? Software is no different than any other product. People work hard to produce it. Shoplifting is wrong and will land you in jail - how is software piracy any different?
Although I have to agree with you on premise, I'm curious as to what needed to be edited, considering what you chose to leave (in bold, edited by me). Smiley
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Iapetus

• friend
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 09:57:53 AM »
I like that game a lot too.

Favourite weapon?

For full-on combat, the pump-action shotgun, with as many magazine extentions as you can fit it with.

And the crossbow with tranquilizers for sneaky tricks.

english kanigit

Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 06:30:38 PM »
Quote from: Werewolf
*expletive deleted*ing Pirate - you're a thief plain and simple.
Werewolf, normaly I would agree with you but there are some special circumstances.
I too am a mac user and some of the older games for our machines are pretty hard to find or non-existant, even online.

Don't even get me started on the music thing. Today's "new" music is for the most part, worthless. I use limewire on a regular basis, to find sound clips, seriously out of date songs or special one-off type songs. I also use it to sample music on CDs that I want to buy, I've got enough friggin' coasters around me house because I thought I would like after hearing one or two of the songs on the radio: WRONG.

There ain't no need to cut somebody off at the legs for asking a question. :/
When in doubt,
call for naval gunfire...

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 08:13:21 PM »
That wasn't the legs, try a little higher...

But unfortunately, he's pretty much right.

Kinda apathetic at this point though. If they wanted me to get it legitimately they would have had it at the half a dozen stores I've looked for it in.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

english kanigit

Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 09:13:40 PM »
Well sometimes you've just gotta get it done: whatever it takes.

I also forgot the biggest reason that I DL music; to replace my scratched cds! They've already gotten their pound of money from me so what's the problem!?
When in doubt,

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 12:02:39 AM »
Quote from: Winston Smith
That wasn't the legs, try a little higher...

But unfortunately, he's pretty much right.

Kinda apathetic at this point though. If they wanted me to get it legitimately they would have had it at the half a dozen stores I've looked for it in.
Well, they had it at first store I looked at.
Amazon
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 12:17:30 AM »
Don't even get me started on the music thing. Today's "new" music is for the most part, worthless. I use limewire on a regular basis, to find sound clips, seriously out of date songs or special one-off type songs. I also use it to sample music on CDs that I want to buy, I've got enough friggin' coasters around me house because I thought I would like after hearing one or two of the songs on the radio: WRONG.
I also forgot the biggest reason that I DL music; to replace my scratched cds!
Top Ten Reasons Why I "Steal" Music

1. The compact disc wrappers are too difficult to remove.
2. The Record Store is not willing to barter.
3. The Recording Industry owes me for spotting 'em at dinner last week.
4. The Record Store repeatedly fails to open a branch in my basement.
5. The Recording Artists constantly disappoint.
6. The Record Store sold me an "audio tape" many years ago, and the Electronics     Store laughs at me when I request a device capable of playing it.
7.  The Recording Industry constantly laughs at my tiny genitalia.
8.  The Record Store insists upon selling me records, despite the fact that my turntable met with a sledgehammer-related accident (involving the Hardware Store product, not the Peter Gabriel song).
9. The Recording Artists perform better when hungry.
10. Paying for sh*tty songs is not an "exciting experiment".

english kanigit

Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 05:14:39 PM »
Quote from: Sergeant Bob
Top Ten Reasons Why I "Steal" Music

1. The compact disc wrappers are too difficult to remove.
2. The Record Store is not willing to barter.
3. The Recording Industry owes me for spotting 'em at dinner last week.
4. The Record Store repeatedly fails to open a branch in my basement.
5. The Recording Artists constantly disappoint.
6. The Record Store sold me an "audio tape" many years ago, and the Electronics     Store laughs at me when I request a device capable of playing it.
7.  The Recording Industry constantly laughs at my tiny genitalia.
8.  The Record Store insists upon selling me records, despite the fact that my turntable met with a sledgehammer-related accident (involving the Hardware Store product, not the Peter Gabriel song).
9. The Recording Artists perform better when hungry.
10. Paying for sh*tty songs is not an "exciting experiment".
Hey, hey! That's pretty funny!
I'm gonna print that out and put it up there with the rest of the stuff I should feel guilty about but I don't....

Besides, whenever I like something well enough to buy it, I just pay for it with iTunes, from whence it goes straight to my iPod.
My property, my rules. Cheesy
When in doubt,

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 12:44:59 PM »
My personal favorite weapons were (in this order): Dragon's Tooth, Assault Shotgun, Sniper Rifle, Scramble Grenade, Throwing Knives, GEP, and the Gas Grenade.

Never figured out the point of the Plasma Rifle. undecided

As far as augs go, I also always went for the infra/xray vision, cloak, strength, run faster/jump higher, and the ever-useful Aggressive Defense System.

I guess my tactics (especially for the abandoned gas station outside Vandenburg) were to sneak into the middle of everyone, decloak, and blast away. Cheesy Ended up going for the ending that gave the Voltaire quote--"If there were no God, it would become necessary for us to invent him." Hence the whole Deus Ex Machina (God from Machines) thingy.

Oh, and greasels also eat corpses.

Fun little hack: While in-game, press "T".  A little command line with the word "Say" will appear at the bottom of the screen.  Press Backspace until all this is gone.  Type in "deusex.jcdentonmale bcheatsenabled true" and hit Enter.  Press "T" again.  Delete "Say" again.  Type in "legend" and press enter. Wink Tongue
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 12:47:43 PM »
Addendum:  Watch Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, or MTV's Cribs.

Then tell me how much they're suffering. rolleyes
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Deus Ex!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 07:47:01 AM »
Quote from: Dionysusigma
Addendum:  Watch Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, or MTV's Cribs.

Then tell me how much they're suffering. rolleyes
Ahhhhhh...

Now I get it.

If someone is well off it is OK to steal from them.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online