Author Topic: think a big car will save you in a crash?  (Read 2848 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
think a big car will save you in a crash?
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:44:23 AM »
http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-king-george-crash-trooper-killed,0,6083827.story

damn shame  nice guy was getting married in 2 weeks.  coulda been worse i guess no other serious injuries
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: think a big car will save you in a crash?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 11:11:41 AM »
From the description of the crash, it sounds like nothing short of an APC, or maybe a main battle tank would have saved his life....  No, a big car won't save you in a crash where the impact is so severe it splits the car in half.  But in less energetic crashes, yes, a big car will increase the odds of survival vs. a pregnant roller skate wrapped in tinfoil.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:16:18 AM »
yea  thats one of the worst wrecks i've seen.  i hate things like this.  and its always nice guys that seem to die
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:26:47 AM »
Wonder what a breakaway light pole might have contributed to that situation...
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:31:30 AM »
i thought that too  i believe that pole is to the traffic signals  the cantilevered type  they have to be sturdier.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:42:18 AM »
Tractor-trailer drivers die in wrecks too, especially when they run into trains  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:42:48 AM »

;/

A crown vic isn't that big.  And looking at the picture, the trooper had to be going quite fast.  No, I'm not placing blame on the trooper.  Not enough details in the story.
My gripe, though, is thread title fail.  The size of the trooper's car is a moot point, a strawman, and I'm really struggling to understand why you involved it in the post at all.  ???

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 11:44:44 AM »
;/

A crown vic isn't that big.  And looking at the picture, the trooper had to be going quite fast.  No, I'm not placing blame on the trooper.  Not enough details in the story.
My gripe, though, is thread title fail.  The size of the trooper's car is a moot point, a strawman, and I'm really struggling to understand why you involved it in the post at all.  ???

As if we don't struggle a lot about what C&SD posts?

I thought that was part of the charm...  =)
I promise not to duck.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 12:42:11 PM »
;/

A crown vic isn't that big.  And looking at the picture, the trooper had to be going quite fast.  No, I'm not placing blame on the trooper.  Not enough details in the story.
My gripe, though, is thread title fail.  The size of the trooper's car is a moot point, a strawman, and I'm really struggling to understand why you involved it in the post at all.  ???

He must have a list of "things to prove", looking on the internet for stories, reports, and such that "prove" his list! :laugh:
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
A crown vic isn't that big.

It's almost as big as smaller SUV's  Certainly longer, probably wider, and only barely shorter.  As far as cars go, it's big.

It doesn't look big because it's shaped like a car, and you lose a little bit on scale, but put it next to a Blazer or a S-10 or Ranger
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »
But, yeah.  A big car won't necessarily save you in a crash. . . especially if it's old.

Crash Test 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air VS. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu (Frontal Offset) IIHS 50th Anniversary  :O :O :O
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 01:47:12 PM »
He must have a list of "things to prove", looking on the internet for stories, reports, and such that "prove" his list! :laugh:

or it could be i drove through the debris field and know his dad.  ymmv

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
My gripe, though, is thread title fail.  The size of the trooper's car is a moot point, a strawman, and I'm really struggling to understand why you involved it in the post at all.  ???

I choose to take it as a reminder not to put too much trust in the safety factor of a larger rig.

At first, though, I thought that the death of a war vet and LEO was being exploited to prove somebody's hobby horse. I hope that ain't so.

Edit: OK, I see that latest post now.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:54:11 PM by The artist formerly known as fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 01:57:57 PM »
he was one of those kids that would take a bullet to save someone else,  which is not surprising since his dad is like that too. two weeks before his wedding? its like a bad romance novel in real life

PTK

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 04:26:52 PM »
or it could be i drove through the debris field and know his dad.  ymmv

Take a joke as it is, friend. ;)

Serious though, sorry to hear of his death. Too young. :(
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
definitely too young  you know you are getting old when cops look like they should still smell of similac.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 11:28:59 PM »
Having owned a Vic and owing my lack of injuries in an accident to both its mass and engineering, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the car in that pic was NOT traveling anywhere near any kind of posted speed limit, residential or otherwise.  The orientation of the car tells me it was already on its side when it impacted the pole, top first.  For there to be enough energy to do that kind of damage, plus shear away a chunk of the car (I will presume the front, as that's where the majority of the mas is concentrated) the vehicle had to have been traveling at a very high rate of speed.  I would guesstimate somewhere well north of 80.  If the trooper was in pursuit, that's not unlikely.

Lots of cops owe their lives to the sturdy and reliable Vic.  Notwithstanding the rear impact issue of a couple years ago (the vast majority of which could be directly atributed to the veritable warehouse of equipment mounted to the bulkhead in the trunk with self-tapping, and gas tank puncturing, sheet metal screws) the Vic is a tank and can absorb a heckuva lot of impact energy before the transmitted levels get to occupant-inury zone.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:39:23 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 10:12:19 AM »
Having owned a Vic and owing my lack of injuries in an accident to both its mass and engineering, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the car in that pic was NOT traveling anywhere near any kind of posted speed limit, residential or otherwise.  The orientation of the car tells me it was already on its side when it impacted the pole, top first.  For their to be enough energy to do that kind of damage, plus shear away a chunk of the car (I will presume the front, as that's where the majority of the concentrated mass is) the vehicle had to have been traveling at a very high rate of speed.  I would guesstimate somewhere well north of 80.  If the trooper was in pursuit, that's not unlikely.

Lots of cops owe their lives to the sturdy and reliable Vic.  Notwithstanding the rear impact issue of a couple years ago (the vast majority of which could be directly atributed to the veritable warehouse of equipment mounted to the bulkhead in the trunk with self-tapping sheet metal screws) the Vic is a tank and can absorb a heckuva lot of impact energy before the transmitted levels get to occupant-inury zone.

Brad

Not that I agree with police being kitted up like para military JBT's.....
But most cars are designed for standard highway use.  Crash testing usually only goes to highway speeds at best.  And cars aren't tested in a multiple impact scenerio.  Bounce off a few things at 90mph and then sideswipe a light pole, and there isn't much of the car left.  Police are involved in high speed pursuits and sometimes required to respond at a high rate of speed to scenes.  The risk is, the cars aren't built to tolerate this level of damage.
Couple that with the fact that many officers do not wear a seat belt. 
IMHO, of all the "specialized" gear that is out there, the biggest thing overlooked is the police car. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 10:18:25 AM »
I like how they crash car A and car B into a barricade and measure the results.

But most of us don't go running into barricades.  Try crashing car A into car B and observe which one comes out better  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 10:35:21 AM »
I like how they crash car A and car B into a barricade and measure the results.

But most of us don't go running into barricades.  Try crashing car A into car B and observe which one comes out better  ;)

When A & B are of different masses, it undercuts the EPA and other folks who push for lighter autos.  Much better to give a star rating and ignore relative crash-worthiness.  After all, isn't every other auto on the road identical to yours?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 10:42:42 AM »
The Crown Vic is big by today's standards, but at one time it was more or less an intermediate, noticeably smaller than (for example) a Lincoln Town Car, a Pontiac Bonneville, and various Cadillacs from the late '60s through at least the early '70s.

And NO car will provide perfect safety, especially in a crash that will tear it in half. (And doesn't the CV have an actual FRAME, not just a unibody? Takes a LOT of energy to tear a frame in half.)

A larger car improves your odds in a crash, much like carrying a gun improves your odds in an assault - but neither is a magic talisman that makes you invincible.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 01:42:08 PM »
One good thing about modern big cars is that they have more crumple-zone area than smaller cars....great for front or rear collisions....but meaningless in side impacts.....

...this guy wouldn't have had a chance if he'd been in a Humvee.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »
I choose to take it as a reminder not to put too much trust in the safety factor of a larger rig.

I'd rather have better designed than larger any day.  Five-point harness (Can't reach the phone while strapped in?  Tough.  Pay attention to the road.) and a real cage rather than theoretically-locking three point and some extra stamped sheet metal.  Look at the number of times NASCAR drivers have walked away from wrecks that wouldn't have left an identifiable corpse in any normal production car.

Cases in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIotGXqBH0Y  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3VLkAK5CsI  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXwpsaHueUk  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVgQjoW7iTo  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4LEUmfSp0  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZivo1SMLQ