Author Topic: Thinking about the books I read as a kid  (Read 2746 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Thinking about the books I read as a kid
« on: August 15, 2013, 12:22:10 PM »
Got to chatting with my wife yesterday about the books we read as kids, and which ones we want to pass along to our children to read. Thinking mostly here about chapter books, I got started on them so early I don't really know any of the beginner's stuff well aside from Seuss and Curious George.

The only ones I can't remember the name of (and wish I could) were these collections of short stories about outdoor adventure; hunting with dogs, being confronted by large predators in the wild that sort of thing. All set in the post Wild West pre-massive industrialization and regulation era I seem to recall. They had red covers and really well done pen and ink illustrations.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Thinking about the books I read as a kid
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
Where the Red Fern Grows?

Two Against the North?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37:16 PM »
Old Yeller?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »
Aren't those actual novels, not collections of disparate short stories? They weren't tied together in any way but theme, no common characters or story arcs.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »
The folks had a subscrition of some sort to Reader's Digest Condensed books, each book would have several "books" in them, I read bunches of those.

I think I read most of this series.
http://www.tomswift.info/homepage/

Then there was the Martian Chronicals, Asimov's I Robot, Heinlein, I fist found Heinlein in an old dog eared copy of one of the pulp fiction books (Galaxy according to wikipedia), there was a serialized version of I Will Fear No Evil, probably wasn't the best read for a 10 year old.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 02:08:42 PM »
The folks had a subscrition of some sort to Reader's Digest Condensed books, each book would have several "books" in them, I read bunches of those.

I think I read most of this series.
http://www.tomswift.info/homepage/

Then there was the Martian Chronicals, Asimov's I Robot, Heinlein, I fist found Heinlein in an old dog eared copy of one of the pulp fiction books (Galaxy according to wikipedia), there was a serialized version of I Will Fear No Evil, probably wasn't the best read for a 10 year old.

That dates you.  I remember IWFNE serialized in Galaxy.  '72-ish, IRRC.  That was the one novel of his that went to press with no editing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 03:07:35 PM »
Every book that survived my childhood is in some plastic bins.
Everytime a thread like this comes up, I pat myself on the back for such forsight.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 03:53:53 PM »
Of Mice and Men was one of my favorites back in middle school.
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 04:02:45 PM »
I used to devour Reader's Digest as a kid.  Now it's seems to have degraded into something more akin to "The Slightly Thicker People Magazine for Serious... People".  I picked up a copy while waiting for a haircut recently only to be sorely disappointed at the markedly liberal bent to the story matter.

Hardy Boy and Nancy Drew.  Loved them.  They even still around?

White Fang
Black Stallion
Tale of Two Cities

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 06:55:18 PM »
. . . I think I read most of this series.
http://www.tomswift.info/homepage/ . . .
Same here - in fact, I think I have all but the last two books in a bin somewhere.

Before Tom Swift, when I was just learning how to read, my folks got me started on the How and Why Wonder Books. With titles like Guns, Dinosaurs, Rockets and Missiles, they were a LOT more fun to read than what the (exclusively female) teaching staff assigned in school. And since they included things like Primitive Man, Rocks and Minerals, etc., they were more educational than comic books.  http://www.rocketroberts.com/how_and_why/how_and_why.htm

Later on - probably around 3rd grade - I began reading things like the reprints of the 1930's books about Doc Savage. (They eventually made a truly appalling movie about this pulp hero.) Plus all the science-fiction I could get my hands on.

My first real "outdoors" book was one I got from the library, written by Carl Akeley, sometimes called the father of modern taxidermy . . . made me vow that SOMEDAY I'd hunt in Africa. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 07:13:03 PM »
Same here - in fact, I think I have all but the last two books in a bin somewhere.

Before Tom Swift, when I was just learning how to read, my folks got me started on the How and Why Wonder Books. With titles like Guns, Dinosaurs, Rockets and Missiles, they were a LOT more fun to read than what the (exclusively female) teaching staff assigned in school. And since they included things like Primitive Man, Rocks and Minerals, etc., they were more educational than comic books.  http://www.rocketroberts.com/how_and_why/how_and_why.htm

The Golden Book Encyclopedia -- an encyclopedia aimed at elementary students.   Kind of a pre Britannica Junior set.  (Y'all do remember the red Britannica Junior Encyclopedia, right?)

I also remember a series of "All About" books covering various subjects, aimed at roughly the same age range.  "All About Rockets and Aviation", etc.  Here's one: All ABout Famous Inventors and their Inventions.

And all the kids' space travel books that predated the first probes that showed us what Mars and Venus were really like.  (Yuk.)

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 07:16:07 PM »
Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Sounds like Jack London themed short stories.

http://www.jacklondons.net/northstories.html
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 07:17:33 PM »
The Golden Book Encyclopedia -- an encyclopedia aimed at elementary students.

You mean World Book  ???

I still have my set from about 1965  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »

Later on - probably around 3rd grade - I began reading things like the reprints of the 1930's books about Doc Savage. (They eventually made a truly appalling movie about this pulp hero.) Plus all the science-fiction I could get my hands on.

My first real "outdoors" book was one I got from the library, written by Carl Akeley, sometimes called the father of modern taxidermy . . . made me vow that SOMEDAY I'd hunt in Africa.

The same deal as the How and Why are http://www.google.com/m?q=Eyewitness%20books&client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new
Hell, I still occasionally pull out the few I have.

And speaking of Doc Savage, I really need to copy the movie Dad and his friends made when they were in their early teens and send out copies to those of you who were also fans. I think you'd get a kick out of it. :)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »
I don't think I could possibly remember the books I read. In third grade I won an award for reading the most books over the summer. I read constantly from the time I first learned until late in my college years. I don't know what happened after that, but I lost my interest in books.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 08:10:12 PM »
Hardy Boy and Nancy Drew.  Loved them.  They even still around?

Brad

This!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 09:02:01 PM »

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 09:10:53 PM »
Scholatic press books, ordered at school from a flier.

It was good stuff then.  Probably tedious propaganda now.   :'(

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 01:14:05 AM »
I moved to adult level books pretty quickly (like reading Tom Clancy in elementary school). I pretty much quickly devoured the kid level books that held my interest in a short period of time.

I never really went for the classics but stuff like Gary Paulsen's books, the Boxcar Children, My Side of the Mountain, and anything science, transportation, how stuff works, aviation, etc held my attention. I was and still am fascinated by how everything in the world works.

I hated short books, too. Whats the fun of a book that you can read in a couple of hours? To this day I hate short stories...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 01:40:48 AM »
I never really went for the classics ...

I did with certain books. I read "A Tale of Two Cities" four or five times. I don't know why.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 02:16:42 AM »
Goosbumps and Boxcar Children where the big ones for me. Also a few books that are my dads, I think they might of been Tom Swift Jr. books but I'm not positive. Read a lot when I was young.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 05:12:43 AM »
I hated short books, too. Whats the fun of a book that you can read in a couple of hours? To this day I hate short stories...

In 8th grade I read Michener's Centenial over a 3 day weekend(lousy weather). Teacher accused me of lying about it and gave me an F on the book report. She said nobody could read it in 3 days, it didn't help that I told her it was closer to 2. After that I only did book reports on 4th grade level books for her class.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
It depends on the age we are talking, but I recall Hardy Boys, Hardy Boys Casefiles, Classics like Robinson Crusoe, White Fang, (at first it was the "comic book" version of those before I was able to step up to the actual novel), but my favorite ones were the "101 Weird Science Facts" and the like. (101 Weird Animals, 101 Amazing Survivals Stories, etc...)

Thinking back, it isn't any surprise my mind is almost a Wikipedia full of useless knowledge.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 08:49:01 AM »
I remember reading quite a few of these also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Investigators

Sometime during my freshman year of highschool I discovered Louis L'Amour. I've read pretty much everything he wrote.

Samuel Adams

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 09:04:21 AM »
As a grade-school student, I read those types, too.

Some of my favorites were by Jim(?) Kjelgaard. Kids (boys, of course); animals; adventure. Fun to read!

"Chip the Dam Builder" "Hi Jolly" Others I can no longer recall, since it's been nearly 50 years...

And, of course, Jack London - the Commie rat bastard! (but we didn't know it at the time)

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!