Author Topic: Thinking about the books I read as a kid  (Read 2748 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Thinking about the books I read as a kid
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »
I remember reading quite a few of these also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Investigators

Sometime during my freshman year of highschool I discovered Louis L'Amour. I've read pretty much everything he wrote.
I liked his westerns but also his other stuff. Finally gave a lot of them away. Have always loved reading. Got in trouble in school for it.

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Thinking about the books I read as a kid
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 09:21:05 AM »
As a grade-school student, I read those types, too.

Some of my favorites were by Jim(?) Kjelgaard. Kids (boys, of course); animals; adventure. Fun to read!

"Chip the Dam Builder" "Hi Jolly" Others I can no longer recall, since it's been nearly 50 years...

And, of course, Jack London - the Commie rat bastard! (but we didn't know it at the time)

jb
You ever read his autobiography? One of his best. Candid for the era

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Thinking about the books I read as a kid
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 10:39:21 AM »

Sometime during my freshman year of highschool I discovered Louis L'Amour. I've read pretty much everything he wrote.

I started reading L'Amour at some point in adolescence. I probably got through about a third of his catalog before I started to get very annoyed at the way the same elements and same characters and same phrases appeared time and again.

Still would recommend that everybody read a little L'Amour, though. A very interesting fellow, all by himself.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »

I started reading L'Amour at some point in adolescence. I probably got through about a third of his catalog before I started to get very annoyed at the way the same elements and same characters and same phrases appeared time and again.

Shocking!  :O  :mad:

It's sure good that Hollywood never does that sort of thing  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
I'm not saying other writers don't do it, but I don't think I've come across any as transparent about it as Louis.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »

Still would recommend that everybody read a little L'Amour, though. A very interesting fellow, all by himself.

I always looked at as more of a "hanging out with a familiar friend" than as a predictable formula.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 07:41:44 PM »
I think of it as "hanging out with a friend who keeps telling the same stories, as if you hadn't heard them before."   :lol:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
No, I mean the Golden Book Encyclopedia.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/golden-book-encyclopedia

We had these at home plus a set of Funk & Wagnalls from the mid 50's.  Also the library was a short bicycle ride away.  I remember a series of hardcover books each ~250-300 pages long and all with a Outer Space/Sci-fi theme.   I can't recall if Heinlein was one of the authors but there had to be 50-75 books each stand-alone and geared toward pre-teen/early teenage boys.  

I remember the first time I found National Review magazine at about age 12.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:37:56 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 08:25:41 PM »
Oh I also had a subscription to Popular Mechanics (back when they were still good) when I was a kid. Good stuff. About around 2002ish they went to *expletive deleted*it so dropped my subscription. Final straw was an article.that was ostensibly about searching for Patton's legendary buried stash of military equipment in the west. The article was more about the staff riding ATVs in the desert than the history, legend, search, results etc.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2013, 08:32:26 PM »
Oh I also had a subscription to Popular Mechanics (back when they were still good) when I was a kid. Good stuff. About around 2002ish they went to *expletive deleted* so dropped my subscription. Final straw was an article.that was ostensibly about searching for Patton's legendary buried stash of military equipment in the west. The article was more about the staff riding ATVs in the desert than the history, legend, search, results etc.

I used to read every word including the ads of every Field & Stream and Sports Afield that I could get my hands on.  I fondly remember guys like Ed Zern and Corey Ford and Gene Hill.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 08:33:54 PM »
an article.that was ostensibly about searching for Patton's legendary buried stash of military equipment in the west.

What now?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 08:41:04 PM »
What now?

The legend goes that Patton buried a bunch of military equipment in the deserts of California and AZ. Some say it was in case of invasion others say because the equipment broke it was buried instead of recovered.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 08:42:10 PM »
It would be buried at Ft. Irwin or near Yuma if he did.  That's however is highly doubtful as the US Army was terribly under equipped when Patton was there.  Burying anything more then trash would have been unheard of.  Plus the supply and services guy would have noticed.  Burying Serial Numbered equipment would have been noticed most rickey-tic.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2013, 08:44:30 PM »
That was my view too, that all production was going to war theaters, certainly not buried for future use...