Author Topic: Trouble in Ukraine  (Read 65211 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Trouble in Ukraine
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2014, 10:42:04 AM »
Russia is stealing Chernomornaftogaz. Er, I mean, Crimea is nationalizing Chernomornaftogaz and giving it to Gazprom in a gesture of solidarity. And Russia is jacking up the price of gas to make Ukraine pay for its own invasion.

http://www.lufkin.ru/en/news/ukraine-loses-gas-discount-%E2%80%93-putin%E2%80%99s-spokesman
http://www.lufkin.ru/en/news/ukraine-pay-agreed-price-russian-gas-minister

Crap.  If only we could have figured out how to do this with Iran, maybe we would have made some money on the deal.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2014, 11:31:53 AM »
Crap.  If only we could have figured out how to do this with Iran, maybe we would have made some money on the deal.

USSA can't seem to figure out how to do this empire thing correctly  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »
USSA can't seem to figure out how to do this empire thing correctly  :facepalm:

The British knew how to do this: oppress the wogs, extract the natural resources, sell them finished goods, install a workable legal, educational and governmental infrastructure, and all in time for tea and finger sandwiches with a whiskey nightcap.  Jolly good, I say.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »
The British knew how to do this: oppress the wogs, extract the natural resources, sell them finished goods, install a workable legal, educational and governmental infrastructure, and all in time for tea and finger sandwiches with a whiskey nightcap.  Jolly good, I say.

I'd say the locals were far better off during the time they were supposedly being "oppressed" by the Brits.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Re: Re: Trouble in Ukraine
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2014, 07:58:11 PM »
WWI, probably not. WWII, yea.

Japan attacked us, and would have continued its expansionist policies to threaten our direct interests.
Letting Germany or the Soviet Union enslave all of Europe would NOT have been good for our national security, economic concerns and other interests.

It also gave us a jump start on military technology that was crucial during the Cold War. Would you really have wanted us facing the Soviets with a tech deficiency of a decade plus?

Emphasis mine.   They might have been pushed into doing it by a Soviet mole in FDR's White House, specifically Henry Dexter White, as directed by NKVD/KGB agents did the bidding of Stalin to secure his eastern flank.   Remember the Japanese referred to Siberia as "The Northern Resource Area"  Just like Indonesia et al, was referred to as "The Southern Resource Area".   And the Japanese were still smarting from Khalkhyn Gol, and   

Operation Snow, by John Koster.  Interesting read. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »
I just wish we had nuked the crap out of the Russians as well as the Japanese. So many millions of people who died in slavery because of Yalta.  =(

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »
I just wish we had nuked the crap out of the Russians as well as the Japanese. So many millions of people who died in slavery because of Yalta.  =(

The dirty secret of WWII is that we didn't go to war to save anybody, as many think. We didn't give a damn about the Jews, the Chinese, or the various other people that were being killed or enslaved or overrun by the Axis nations and we let many, many fall under the Iron Curtain. We also turned a blind eye to and/or helped cover up atrocities committed by the Russians.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2014, 02:13:41 PM »
The dirty secret of WWII is that we didn't go to war to save anybody, as many think. We didn't give a damn about the Jews, the Chinese, or the various other people that were being killed or enslaved or overrun by the Axis nations and we let many, many fall under the Iron Curtain. We also turned a blind eye to and/or helped cover up atrocities committed by the Russians.

This. Wars tend to be about economic interests. Oh, sometimes you just have to go with public opinion. But usually it's about economics.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2014, 03:04:12 PM »

Yeah I know, because FDR was a filthy goddamn commie himself.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #209 on: March 27, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
This. Wars tend to be about economic interests. Oh, sometimes you just have to go with public opinion. But usually it's about economics.

Balderdash! Next thing you'll have us believe is that the American Civil War was about encroaching Federal powers over the states and regulation of commerce in the South instead of freeing the slaves....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2014, 09:44:29 AM »
Balderdash! Next thing you'll have us believe is that the American Civil War was about encroaching Federal powers over the states and regulation of commerce in the South instead of freeing the slaves....

It was both. I know it's fashionable to claim the Civil War was over states rights instead of slavery, but a basic look at the CSA constitution shows otherwise. It was basically a direct copy that allowed slavery. IMHO, the South was building a new aristocracy. Not built directly on slavery, but it sure as hell played a part. Destroying that aristocracy was worth every penny, every scorched state and every life lost. Both that aristocracy and slavery were core parts of the Southern economy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2014, 10:34:01 AM »
It was both. I know it's fashionable to claim the Civil War was over states rights instead of slavery, but a basic look at the CSA constitution shows otherwise. It was basically a direct copy that allowed slavery. IMHO, the South was building a new aristocracy. Not built directly on slavery, but it sure as hell played a part. Destroying that aristocracy was worth every penny, every scorched state and every life lost. Both that aristocracy and slavery were core parts of the Southern economy.

Which is really what it boiled down to.  Without the South, the North lost it's economic engine.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2014, 01:57:12 PM »
Which is really what it boiled down to.  Without the South, the North lost it's economic engine.

Wait, wut? South was primarily agriculture. Worse, they relied on three cash crops: cotton, tobacco, and sugar. 84% of their population was directly tied to agriculture. Admittedly, they did have 70% of total US exports, but it was a much more fragile hold than they imagined. Worse yet, they stopped shipping to Europe to try to "force" them to recognize the South, shooting themselves economically in the foot. They tied their money to cotton, and when Britain started getting their cotton from Egypt and India... It was all over, their currency was junk. Combined with a blockade of international trade and industrial products from the North, it was amazing they lasted as long as they did. Their transportation networks were crap. Their government often financed themselves by grabbing what they wanted, giving the owner a worthless certificate, and not paying. Combined with poor regulation on their banks, speculation went nuts.

The largest strategic asset that the CSA ever possessed was the incompetence of Northern commanding generals. It has exactly one strategic resource, cotton. Wasn't enough to save their wretched hides. If you only have one staple resource, your economic engine is very fragile regardless of size. Competition, changing demand or technology can crush it overnight.

Which segways neatly... Gas is Russia's hold on Europe. If we can circumvent that hold, we can greatly diminish Putin's foreign power without a single bullet being fired.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2014, 02:28:39 PM »
Admittedly, they did have 70% of total US exports,

yea  admittedly

Worse yet, they stopped shipping to Europe to try to "force" them to recognize the South,

In May 1861 the Union naval blockade shut down almost all port activity except for blockade runners. International and coastal traffic fell 90 percent or more.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »
Roll, Alabama, Roll!   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2014, 08:31:09 PM »
Wait, wut? South was primarily agriculture. Worse, they relied on three cash crops: cotton, tobacco, and sugar. 84% of their population was directly tied to agriculture. Admittedly, they did have 70% of total US exports, but it was a much more fragile hold than they imagined. Worse yet, they stopped shipping to Europe to try to "force" them to recognize the South, shooting themselves economically in the foot. They tied their money to cotton, and when Britain started getting their cotton from Egypt and India... It was all over, their currency was junk. Combined with a blockade of international trade and industrial products from the North, it was amazing they lasted as long as they did. Their transportation networks were crap. Their government often financed themselves by grabbing what they wanted, giving the owner a worthless certificate, and not paying. Combined with poor regulation on their banks, speculation went nuts.

The largest strategic asset that the CSA ever possessed was the incompetence of Northern commanding generals. It has exactly one strategic resource, cotton. Wasn't enough to save their wretched hides. If you only have one staple resource, your economic engine is very fragile regardless of size. Competition, changing demand or technology can crush it overnight.

Which segways neatly... Gas is Russia's hold on Europe. If we can circumvent that hold, we can greatly diminish Putin's foreign power without a single bullet being fired.

The whole thing was fragile at the time. 
The south needed slaves to hold it together. The north needed the south to hold it together.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2014, 04:58:07 PM »
Rev, your comment on the southern aristocracy hit me- I think we are seeing a new aristocracy arise- seems like many of our top political offices now are becoming almost hereditary. Kennedy, Bush, Clinton, and a host of senators...
 it is an incestuous stew.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2014, 06:48:50 PM »

Not really.  Our Empire ran on trade, naval and technological superiority, ball games and rationalizing local power structures (especially in India) - the "oppressing the wogs" only happened afterwards when several generations came into being who didnt have to exert effort in terms of doing anything, assumed they were in charge because they were upper class and white (probably in that order), and enacted nonsensical legislation based on that belief that antagonized nearly everyone who wasnt them. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2014, 11:09:26 AM »
Not really.  Our Empire ran on trade, naval and technological superiority, ball games and rationalizing local power structures (especially in India) - the "oppressing the wogs" only happened afterwards when several generations came into being who didnt have to exert effort in terms of doing anything, assumed they were in charge because they were upper class and white (probably in that order), and enacted nonsensical legislation based on that belief that antagonized nearly everyone who wasnt them. 

You guys made a fortune off of your empire and we are being impoverished by ours  :facepalm:

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2014, 12:37:26 PM »
We also turned a blind eye to and/or helped cover up atrocities committed by the Russians.
Don't forget "directly assisted in some". Linz, for instance.

Gas is Russia's hold on Europe. If we can circumvent that hold, we can greatly diminish Putin's foreign power without a single bullet being fired.
The worst hit to Mr. Pu would be a drop in oil prices.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »
Nice to see that for once, it was not I that re-started the Civil War.    =D =D [popcorn] [popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2014, 03:37:45 PM »
Nice to see that for once, it was not I that re-started the Civil War.    =D =D [popcorn] [popcorn]

It was hardly civil  :P

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2014, 05:13:50 PM »
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/03/russia-partly-withdraws-from-ukraine-border-2014331143547644198.html

Russia is pulling off some forces from Ukraine's borders. Not from Crimea, however.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2014, 05:54:16 PM »
WAG on my part, but I don't think Russia has the depth of manpower or logistics or the money to do more than maintain their hold on the Crimea.

And the threats, overt or implied to Poland, Finland, and the Baltics are paper tigers. There's economic reasons for the Crimea with the gas and the ports, and the bases as we've gone over, but the whole thing is also a show to shore up Putin at home. It was also part of the larger pattern of the persecution of gays, and the Sochi Olympics.

His version of what the Iranian revolutionary .gov is doing there with the nuclear program and constant low-level proxy warfare with the U.S. Britain, and Israel/Saudi Arabia to maintain control internally through external crisis.

Will it be enough?

Any robber barons or oligarchs over there who might decide Putin's not their boy anymore?
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2014, 06:05:10 PM »
WAG on my part, but I don't think Russia has the depth of manpower or logistics or the money to do more than maintain their hold on the Crimea.

And the threats, overt or implied to Poland, Finland, and the Baltics are paper tigers. There's economic reasons for the Crimea with the gas and the ports, and the bases as we've gone over, but the whole thing is also a show to shore up Putin at home. It was also part of the larger pattern of the persecution of gays, and the Sochi Olympics.

His version of what the Iranian revolutionary .gov is doing there with the nuclear program and constant low-level proxy warfare with the U.S. Britain, and Israel/Saudi Arabia to maintain control internally through external crisis.

Will it be enough?

Any robber barons or oligarchs over there who might decide Putin's not their boy anymore?

;/