Author Topic: Has anyone been watching treasury yields lately?  (Read 1290 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Has anyone been watching treasury yields lately?
« on: December 10, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
Short term treasury yields have been floating near 0% for a while, and apparently they ticked negative briefly this week.  30 year yields are around 3%.  This is happening in the face of massive projected deficits. 

What's up with that? 

Are investors really so afraid of the markets that they're willing to lose money to the US Government in exchange for not losing more money elsewhere?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Has anyone been watching treasury yields lately?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »
Very possibly, yes. I heard that assessment on WTOP while I was out grabbing lunch.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:41:18 PM »
People and institutions who have LARGE amounts of cash are looking for a safe place to put it - banks are only FDIC insured up to $250,000, and unless there's some further action, the FDIC limit drops back to $100,000 on Jan 1, 2010.

So if you're looking for a place to sock away a couple of million dollars, SAFETY is more important right now than return.

I understand 4-week yields are now at zero, and 3-month T-bills are paying 0.005% . . . 6-month bills are at 0.3%. I know people who've kept money in T-bills for years, rolling them over every 6 months. Now as they mature these same people are now putting the money in banks, being sure to keep under the FDIC limit at any one bank.

3% - 4% interest is better than 0.3%.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 03:17:32 PM »
People and institutions who have LARGE amounts of cash are looking for a safe place to put it - banks are only FDIC insured up to $250,000, and unless there's some further action, the FDIC limit drops back to $100,000 on Jan 1, 2010.

So if you're looking for a place to sock away a couple of million dollars, SAFETY is more important right now than return.

I understand 4-week yields are now at zero, and 3-month T-bills are paying 0.005% . . . 6-month bills are at 0.3%. I know people who've kept money in T-bills for years, rolling them over every 6 months. Now as they mature these same people are now putting the money in banks, being sure to keep under the FDIC limit at any one bank.

3% - 4% interest is better than 0.3%.

That whole "under the limit at any ONE bank" doesn't fly anymore. They adjusted that regulation as a result of the S&L Crisis.

They have, however, raised the amount covered by the FDIC.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 04:12:23 PM »
That whole "under the limit at any ONE bank" doesn't fly anymore. They adjusted that regulation as a result of the S&L Crisis.

They have, however, raised the amount covered by the FDIC.
Say WHAT!??

So if I have 100K in bank A and a 100K in bank B and they both fail you're saying I'll only get 100K from the FDIC????
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
Explain, please?

Some banks (usually those associated with brokerage houses) have been advertising "full FDIC insurance up to $500,000" . . . they've done it by depositing your money at up to five separate FDIC institutions. Usually there are caveats to this - they warn that if you already were at the limit at one of these institutions, you could end up exceeding the FDIC limit there when you add in what the brokerage's bank deposited on your behalf, and some of your funds would be at risk. 

From the FDIC.gov website:

To ensure funds are fully protected, depositors should understand their coverage limits. The FDIC provides separate coverage for deposits held in different account ownership categories. The coverage limits shown in the chart below refer to the total of all deposits that an accountholder has in the same ownership categories at each FDIC-insured bank. The chart shows only the most common ownership categories that apply to individual and family deposits, and assumes that all FDIC requirements are met.

Basic FDIC Deposit Insurance Coverage Limits*

Single Accounts (owned by one person) $250,000 per owner

Joint Accounts (two or more persons) $250,000 per co-owner

IRAs and certain other retirement accounts $250,000 per owner

. . .
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:20:49 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 04:41:54 PM »
Explain, please?

Some banks (usually those associated with brokerage houses) have been advertising "full FDIC insurance up to $500,000" . . . they've done it by depositing your money at up to five separate FDIC institutions. Usually there are caveats to this - they warn that if you already were at the limit at one of these institutions, you could end up exceeding the FDIC limit there when you add in what the brokerage's bank deposited on your behalf, and some of your funds would be at risk. 

From the FDIC.gov website:

Hmm... learn something new everyday. I guess this is the new loophole. Previously, it was just split them into any seperate accounts.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought