Author Topic: We could use more of this in msm  (Read 883 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
We could use more of this in msm
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:42:37 AM »
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/06/beach-shooting-was-tragic-justified-under-2nd-amendment

"If supporters of the Second Amendment had been looking for a textbook case of how gun ownership is supposed to work, they got it. An outlaw entered a restaurant brandishing a weapon and left on a gurney because a law-abiding gun owner decided to protect himself and his employees."

"If Williams had been smart - and few criminals are - he would have driven to Washington to stage a holdup. D.C.'s unconstitutional handgun ban still guarantees that most citizens can't protect themselves. That will soon change, when the District enacts new gun laws."

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Re: We could use more of this in msm
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 09:03:25 AM »
A good report by a female columnist.  Way to go!  We do indeed need more of this kind of accurate and factual reporting.  I for one am tired of reading about reckless use of firearms on both sides of the criminal events.  Justifed use of a firearm after a reasonable atempt to avoid it.  This indeed what the 2nd amendment is about.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 09:19:53 AM »
Keep in mind that this is an opinion piece, not a news story.  That said, it was a good, positive, informative and well written article.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:47:19 AM »
I hadn't noticed that it was an opinion piece. That's my hometown newspaper so I take a peek every now and then. That story was in with all the other "news" stuff.

Anyway, it's still good to see.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:44:21 AM »
That sounds almost like 19th century journalistic prose Smiley

"A gentleman from out of town visited the First Miners Bank yesterday to make a withdrawal.  On account of the fact that the gentleman had no gold on deposit, the bank clerk, being a fine local citizen with a proper sense of fairness and justice, substitued lead for gold.  The visiting gentleman was so impressed with our community that he has elected to reside here permanently." 

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin