Author Topic: Fed judge slaps down speed trap fascists  (Read 2159 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Fed judge slaps down speed trap fascists
« on: February 05, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »
Yes, a federal judge had to explain to some of my fellow Missourians that they can't arrest people for warning other motorists of police, by flashing their headlights.  :facepalm:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/05/federal-judge-rules-drivers-allowed-to-warn-other-motorists-speed-traps/

Ellisville is a St. Louis suburb about half-way between my parent's homestead, and the slum I currently call home. My father turned a wrench at the Ellisville Buick dealership for many, many years.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Fed judge slaps down speed trap fascists
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:36:50 PM »
Your free speech cannot interfere with ticket revenue.   :police:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »
Your free speech cannot interfere with ticket revenue.   :police:

Not that I was a revenue enhancement proponent before, but after I got my recent ticket, where I discovered that the fine for the actual violation was only like 15% of the total fine, I have become a BIG proponent of screwing with revenue enhancement. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 08:09:02 AM »
Not that I was a revenue enhancement proponent before, but after I got my recent ticket, where I discovered that the fine for the actual violation was only like 15% of the total fine, I have become a BIG proponent of screwing with revenue enhancement. :)

Explain.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:22:47 AM »
Explain.

Various court fees often add up to way more than the cost of the ticket. It's just another way for the government to pick your pocket.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »
Fee splitting us a legal tradition

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
Explain.

I don't remember exactly, but the the base fine was around $35 (for speeding), then the additional breakdown from an around $150 ticket went to DNA testing fees, court construction fees for county and state courts, and some other fees not related to the offense. Additionally, I asked for traffic school, and that was an additional $60 fee for state permission to take the class. The class itself, on the Internet, cost me $13.50. So the state charged me five times what the provider charged me just for my "permission slip".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:34:49 AM »
I don't remember exactly, but the the base fine was around $35 (for speeding), then the additional breakdown from an around $150 ticket went to DNA testing fees, court construction fees for county and state courts, and some other fees not related to the offense. Additionally, I asked for traffic school, and that was an additional $60 fee for state permission to take the class. The class itself, on the Internet, cost me $13.50. So the state charged me five times what the provider charged me just for my "permission slip".

They took DNA from you for a speeding ticket?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »
They took DNA from you for a speeding ticket?

No, they just charged me a fee that goes to their DNA testing program.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 09:39:01 AM »
Various court fees often add up to way more than the cost of the ticket. It's just another way for the government to pick your pocket.

Don't blame the courts...well most courts anyways...for the fees.  At least here in Ohio, the fees imposed on a traffic ticket are state based, and earmarked for various state programs.  In our court, we have to impose a certain fee scale, and a small fraction of it covers court costs.  The rest gets sent to the state, with annual audits of our books by the state to make sure they get what they claim.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 12:43:25 PM »
RE: The OP . . . similar adventures of a local man in an Austin, TX suburb . . .  http://speedtrapahead.org/wordpress/2010/12/21/all-matters-of-mitchell-vs-city-of-lakeway-et-al-have-been-resolved/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 12:50:50 PM »
Its sort of like your phone bill- a major chunk of it is FCC fees and taxes, maybe a 911 tax, plus state and local taxes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »
In Texas the state takes all fines over a certain amount or percentage of violations.  So, the localities do everything in their power to jack up court fees and pretty much push you into a diversion program...which costs as much or more than the ticket but does not go on your record.

It is almost exclusively about revenue.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 05:59:52 PM »
In Texas the state takes all fines over a certain amount or percentage of violations.  So, the localities do everything in their power to jack up court fees and pretty much push you into a diversion program...which costs as much or more than the ticket but does not go on your record.

It is almost exclusively about revenue.
Yeah, usually defensive driving will cost the same as paying the ticket, you just have to pay for the class also.

I got a ticket in Pasadena, TX once.  The cop on scene pretty much told me to ask for deferred adjutication if I had a clean record.  I showed up in court and asked for that.  It cost the same, but the ticket went away after 3 months with no further tickets.  I don't think they really cared.  When I got the ticket, one cop was waving everyone over who was going more than 10 MPH over the limit.  The other cop was writing all the tickets for 10 MPH over.  They did that in that location quite often.  It was right before a speed limit change and everyone tended to speed up early. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 12:39:59 AM »
Yeah, usually defensive driving will cost the same as paying the ticket, you just have to pay for the class also.

I got a ticket in Pasadena, TX once.  The cop on scene pretty much told me to ask for deferred adjutication if I had a clean record.  I showed up in court and asked for that.  It cost the same, but the ticket went away after 3 months with no further tickets.  I don't think they really cared.  When I got the ticket, one cop was waving everyone over who was going more than 10 MPH over the limit.  The other cop was writing all the tickets for 10 MPH over.  They did that in that location quite often.  It was right before a speed limit change and everyone tended to speed up early. 

I know a couple Pasadena cops.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”