Author Topic: Second Amendment shirt? No vote for you!  (Read 1447 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Second Amendment shirt? No vote for you!
« on: February 22, 2014, 03:02:24 AM »

They claim his shirt violated election laws, because there was a "Second Amendment" measure on the ballot. I don't think I buy that.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Voter-wearing-pro-gun-shirt-turned-away--246554791.html

Also, what kinda stupid logo is that for a Second Amendment t-shirt? A skull and two PGO shotguns?  :facepalm: Also note the Blackwater shotgun.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
Re: Second Amendment shirt? No vote for you!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:19:06 AM »
Stupid logo.

But the question on the ballot was whether or not the party should support the second amendment and the shirt is pretty clearly relevant to that.  And from the counter story it seems like it's more or less universally enforced.  The guy got to vote.  I think I agree with the call.  With things like the panthers in Philly and some of the historical abuses outside polling places I'd rather err on the side of caution.  Especially when the error just makes someone turn a shirt inside out.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 01:05:13 AM »
I'd say if there's a measure on the ballot related to it, and someone's wearing a shirt in support of it, then it does run afowl of the rules.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 07:35:38 AM »
I'd say if there's a measure on the ballot related to it, and someone's wearing a shirt in support of it, then it does run afowl of the rules.

If...

His shirt didn't suggest any particular view of the ballot measure, did it?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 08:07:04 AM »
His shirt didn't suggest any particular view of the ballot measure, did it?

I'd say that it did.  Otherwise wearing a t-shirt with a candidate's face on it also doesn't count as 'electioneering'.  Whether electioneering laws run afoul of the 1st is something for Judges to decide, but I can understand it - otherwise if one side 'packs' the voting area with obvious supporters it can amount to voter intimidation.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:02:09 AM »
So, he has to surrender his 1st Amendment rights, to vote on the 2nd Amendment? :P
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »
I don't want to see any obama or romney bumperstickers on cars 100' from the door of polling places then either.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 03:37:19 PM »
I don't want to see any obama or romney bumperstickers on cars 100' from the door of polling places then either.

No, one election between those two is enough  [barf]
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 04:15:49 PM »
What if you have no non-political shirts? ZOMG disenfranchisement! Next they'll be asking for ID or something...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 05:57:32 PM »
With things like the panthers in Philly and some of the historical abuses outside polling places I'd rather err on the side of caution.  Especially when the error just makes someone turn a shirt inside out.

OK, I guess I'll agree with this.

Fair enough.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 06:32:02 PM »
<----- Election Judge. (Head Judge at my poling places.)

If there is a measure on the ballot that even remotely touches on the subject of a shirt the person is wearing, we will ask them to leave.  There is no electioneering allowed within 100 ft of the polling place here in Illinois.  If all you have are "political" shirts, then wear a jacket over it.

"No electioneering" means just that.  Whether we agree with the sentiment or not. 

You can express your 1st Amendment rights all you want starting at 101ft from the polling place.  The polling place is neutral ground. 

And yes, I have had to tell people to leave because of what they are wearing.  Even had one lady report me to election comission because I asked someone who was wearing an Obama shirt last election to leave or put on a coat.   Got to talk to two investigators from the Secretary of States office because I was "suppressing the vote". ;/    The really fun ones are the ones that stand outside and try to shove flyers and the like in voters hands.  I get lots of complaints from the voters, but I tell them as long as they are beyond the "No Electioneering" signs, there's nothing I can do about it. Sorry.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 11:34:08 PM »
The really fun ones are the ones that stand outside and try to shove flyers and the like in voters hands.  I get lots of complaints from the voters, but I tell them as long as they are beyond the "No Electioneering" signs, there's nothing I can do about it. Sorry.

If you practice the dead-eyed, thousand-yard stare, and walk right past them, no worries. Or maybe it just works for me, because I am ugly, and appear to be illiterate.

I presume scary eye contact works, too.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 01:04:57 AM »

If you practice the dead-eyed, thousand-yard stare, and walk right past them, no worries. Or maybe it just works for me, because I am ugly, and appear to be illiterate.

I presume scary eye contact works, too.

So, are you the guy in the lower right?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 01:10:08 AM »
So, are you the guy in the lower right?

Get away from me.