Author Topic: The gun nuts are getting desperate  (Read 1303 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The gun nuts are getting desperate
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
Re: The gun nuts are getting desperate
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:27:13 AM »
He might be on to something however.  Disregarding the whole "people stealing an OC'ers gun" thing, just judging by comments on gun boards fewer "gun people" want to OC then CC.  Just go to THR and start an Open Carry thread.  So if CA's choice is between Shall Issue CCW and no OC, or No CCW and Legal OC, the latter will probably have fewer people exercising their rights.

Of course the ones that do will be much more visible to the general public.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:44:06 AM »
I don't think people are just going to quit carrying, because it has to be open carry, all of a sudden. Maybe some place like Wisconsin, where putting on a coat would make you a criminal.

In fact, I think it would annoy folks just enough to make them say, "OK, if that's what you'd prefer. Let's see how you like seeing my gun at the grocery store, you bunch of Nancies."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:09:18 AM »
Unless you made it legal to sue every Iphone toting do-gooder that would make terrified menacing the public 911 call then this would be a dream for gun banners in Cali. I open carry in VA and in certain areas you are very out of place.

On a some animals are more equal than others note I spent all day Saturday at a competitive event for my kid, hosted at a large school. I stayed in close proximity to another parent long enough to figure out what pockets he had everything in, including the quite printing single stack small 9mm or 380, my guess is Sig. He's a local state trooper, I'm not, so no gun for me in the skool.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »
Very few gun owners want to carry openly displayed guns. The police hassle you, stores refuse to serve you and some people won't talk to you. Criminals might even target you, seeking to steal your expensive sidearm.

Nothing better than perpetuating stereotypes/urban myths.  Fear monger much, LA Times?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »
The police hassle you, stores refuse to serve you and some people won't talk to you.
  Hmm, now where have i heard that before?
AKA Navy Joe   

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 02:29:40 PM »
  Hmm, now where have i heard that before?

Just like the rest of the Democrats' promises, a little ol' gun being enough to make them stop talking to you is a load of crap.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »
Unless you made it legal to sue every Iphone toting do-gooder that would make terrified menacing the public 911 call then this would be a dream for gun banners in Cali. I open carry in VA and in certain areas you are very out of place.

I thought one of our goals was to make it unremarkable everywhere.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:28:01 PM »

On a some animals are more equal than others note I spent all day Saturday at a competitive event for my kid, hosted at a large school. I stayed in close proximity to another parent long enough to figure out what pockets he had everything in, including the quite printing single stack small 9mm or 380, my guess is Sig. He's a local state trooper, I'm not, so no gun for me in the skool.

Some anonymous person should have called him in.   I am sick of this "one law for me and another law for thee" society the New Lords are foisting on us.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 05:03:28 AM »
Perfectly legal for an off duty cop to carry. I just jealous. Disparity in the law not correct of course.
AKA Navy Joe   

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 09:46:12 AM »
Hell, I would welcome OC in addition to concealed carry as it would take away any penalty if my pistol shows. 

Regardless of how common OC would become, there will ALWAYS be jurisdictions where local police and politicians don't like it and try to hassle people.  I heard stories of that happening with concealed carry in Texas in some places.  I also look at what happened with the "Traveling" laws in Texas.  The state legislature ended up getting rid of the traveling restrictions entirely since the local big city DA's wouldn't get the point and stop directing police to arrest people.  The idea that OC will be entirely common would take quite a bit of time and may never happen in some areas. 
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:03 AM »
It might further normalize the presence of guns in public.

the author makes it sound like a bad thing, but it's one of the reasons that i'm a proponent of OC.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:46 AM »
Perfectly legal for an off duty cop to carry.

Still entertaining to see him on the wrong side of "officer safety" until they get it sorted out, though.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 11:16:04 AM »
Either OC or CC should be legal without asking permission.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 12:08:22 PM »
Either OC or CC should be legal without asking permission.

Should be.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »
Still entertaining to see him on the wrong side of "officer safety" until they get it sorted out, though.

This. If a few cops got hassled with MWAG calls, and the ensuing confusion, it may help more of them (the "victims" and the responding police departments) understand the problem.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »
Just like the rest of the Democrats' promises, a little ol' gun being enough to make them stop talking to you is a load of crap.

Having them not talk to me is a bad thing?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »

This. If a few cops got hassled with MWAG calls, and the ensuing confusion, it may help more of them (the "victims" and the responding police departments) understand the problem.

Dispatcher:  "What's he doing?'
MWAG caller:  "Ordering a Chai Latte!  Hurry up and get here, I think he ordered it 'to go' !!"
Dispatcher:  *click*  {If this were a just world.}
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.