Author Topic: Airsoft drills in schools  (Read 1216 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Airsoft drills in schools
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:41:35 AM »
Much as it pains me to link to Infowars, they do happen to have a bunch of links to relevant news stories from the establishment press organs.

page with lots of links

If they're going to go through all of this, it seems like they should be using it to train teachers on how to shoot back. If they wanted to use their time and resources wisely.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Airsoft drills in schools
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 02:37:08 PM »
Somebody is going to go to court.  Just a question of which side gets there first and then how much teachers or students actually get out of the award.

Sounds to me like there are two options being offered: 1) how to put yourself between the active shooter and your students so you can delay their massacre for x seconds or 2) how to figure out how many fat kids you can get in front of you before you too are killed.

If they are not going to allow teachers to be armed (a tactic I have great reservations about*) then they should at least be drilling teachers and students on how to bail out of the building/grounds via non-traditional routes and methods.**

stay safe.

* - as we all know, not everyone who can hit a target is willing to pull the trigger on a homan being, regardless of the provocation.  How does one test for that willingness?

** - too many schools have been retrofitted for "energy conservation' which includes bricking up those large banks of windows and eliminating even narrow windows that open to fresh air.  For those not retrofitted, how many have had glass panes replaced with break-resistant plexiglass/polycarbonate?  Back in the day youcould either just open the window wide and get out or use a chair/desk to break the window.  Nowdays too many schools funnel to a limited number of exit doors, often with limited or no alternative exits.  Bad enough for fire drills, but literally murder in active shooter situations.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 04:03:15 PM »
I really like the 'fat kid as ballistic armor' idea and I am going to suggest this to Ms. MillCreek immediately.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:45:20 PM »
* - as we all know, not everyone who can hit a target is willing to pull the trigger on a homan being, regardless of the provocation.  How does one test for that willingness?

Don't test for willingness; train to be willing.

Take this Airsoft event and use that to teach people how to fight back.  The training will have to start easy, slowly ramp up, build the confidence of the teachers and students, incorporate positive reinforcement, and many repetitive training cycles, but it can be done.  That will take a ton of time, buckets of money, and a willing group of people.

Is it worth it?  "It's for the children!"
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »

Seems most teachers are pretty protective of their precious little charges.  And, no matter what else might be said about teachers as a group, I think there's a considerable amount of personal courage required to take on the responsibilities inherent in the profession.  The only way to truly "test for that willingness" is to be put in that situation.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 11:56:39 AM »
Seems most teachers are pretty protective of their precious little charges.  And, no matter what else might be said about teachers as a group, I think there's a considerable amount of personal courage required to take on the responsibilities inherent in the profession.  The only way to truly "test for that willingness" is to be put in that situation.

Makes you wonder if police officers are trained to overcome the reluctance to kill, or they just select candidates who are natural murderers  ???   >:D

Because if they don't - then cops are no more qualified in that regard than the rest of us (if they do then there is another problem).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 04:40:41 PM »
Makes you wonder if police officers are trained to overcome the reluctance to kill, or they just select candidates who are natural murderers  ???   >:D

Because if they don't - then cops are no more qualified in that regard than the rest of us (if they do then there is another problem).

Or military...how many confirmed kills do you have to have to become a Ranger?

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 11:14:17 PM »
I say mix things up a little. A nice little variable would be to give several random students airsoft pistols throughout the school and let them decide how they will use it while the active shooter drill goes on. I think of it like a random urinalysis. Which class room will have an armed person in it. And who in the class will it be? That's a lot more for a shooter to think about then if just the teachers were armed. It only requires that the kids in the particular school be raised in a gun culture.

May not be as good of an idea in an elementary school... definitely not a kindergarten.
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 02:01:30 AM »
I say mix things up a little. A nice little variable would be to give several random students airsoft pistols throughout the school and let them decide how they will use it while the active shooter drill goes on. I think of it like a random urinalysis. Which class room will have an armed person in it. And who in the class will it be? That's a lot more for a shooter to think about then if just the teachers were armed. It only requires that the kids in the particular school be raised in a gun culture.

Even more fun, one randomly chosen room at the high school becomes that of the coach of the rifle and/or skeet team.  10-12 well trained marksmen with ARs and shotguns are waiting there.  Bonus points for video of the airsoft bandit when he rounds a corner to find a blockade with a half dozen of these.