Author Topic: When, if ever, will rap end?  (Read 25579 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
When, if ever, will rap end?
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:57:38 PM »
I remember when rap music became popular, hearing it booming from cars in the parking lot of the convenience store around the corner. I consoled myself with the notion that it was another trend that would pass.

Over 25 years later, it's still here. Unlike Motown, psychedelic rock, heavy metal and other sounds, which have been subsets of larger genres, rap seems to have developed into its own genre. Also unlike other musical trends, rap songs are almost fungible, distinguished only by their lyrics, which aren't all that distinctive to begin with.

Given its mediocrity as a form of music, I can't understand its longevity.

It seems as though I ask myself the same question every year: when will rap go away?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: When, if ever, will rap end?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »
It is institutionalized, just like the damned Beatles are.  And Phish.  And Tejano.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:53:01 PM »

Could say the same thing about McDonalds, couldn't you.

Just off the top of my head:

It's familiar,
Doesn't require effort to "enjoy"
"Everybody goes there"
It's everywhere
Part of the culture
etc...

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 08:16:44 PM »
unlike other musical trends, rap songs are almost fungible, distinguished only by their lyrics, which aren't all that distinctive to begin with.

That's only to your ear.  I'd venture most rap listeners couldn't tell Johnny Cash from Porter Wagoner.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:18:09 PM »
lol. Not all rap is gangsta rap. There is a lot of good stuff out there.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 08:29:25 PM »
when will rap go away?

Racist.

/sorry, had to  =D

When will country go away?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:30:54 PM »
Not all rap is gangsta rap.

Shai Linne
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 08:35:59 PM »
rap songs are almost fungible

Compare:

Stuck Mojo

Destiny's Child

2pac
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »
I'd venture most rap listeners couldn't tell Johnny Cash from Porter Wagoner.

Which is why they have to settle for something less "demanding".   =D 

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:43:32 PM »
It seems as though I ask myself the same question every year: when will rap go away?

When something still less intelligent and more obnoxious shows up.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 09:07:23 PM »
I think it's actually subsided quite a bit.  I still see the occasional rattletrap buzzin' out some gangsta rap.  Once the norm, it's become the exception, at least whiteboy wannabes found a new direction.  Give thanks to Guitar Hero, yo.  Rock lives!  :lol:  Unfortunately, so do Jonas Bros and High School Musical XVIII and stuff.  Maybe it's just a Texas (and other border state) thing, but I'm now hearing as much Tejano as I used to hear rap & hip/hop.  I don't think rap will ever end, but like a lot of the terrible, electronic drum pop type crap of the 80s that is now painful to listen to, much of the rap music will be judged harshly even by its own fans when looked back upon in 10-20 years.
For entertainment purposes only.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »
I'm pleased that rap gave way to jungle-beat, drum-beat, and reggae around here. Hearing artists like Sean Kingston has really made me quite happy - here's one of his songs (NO SWEARS!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq77pTi03qQ

Dumb video (and possibly NSFW, no nudity, but dang those are skimpy outfits), but... that's my kind of "rap".
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 09:59:31 PM »
Which is why they have to settle for something less "demanding".   =D 

Not sure why, but out of all music on the planet, hearing rap instinctively makes me want to employ an EMP weapon.  I can't stand it.  Like, nails on the chalkboard of my soul can't stand it. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:12 PM »
Not sure why, but out of all music on the planet, hearing rap instinctively makes me want to employ an EMP weapon.  I can't stand it.  Like, nails on the chalkboard of my soul can't stand it. 

I have exactly the same reaction. Exactly.

When you can hear, nay, feel the rolling boom box from 3/4 a mile away easily...

at least whiteboy wannabes found a new direction

Honestly, those tools were far more annoying than the blacks who liked to blast rap. It felt like everytime I turned around to see who the hell was playing that annoying crap, it was paler-than-me white boy in the 'hood. Usually in a shitty little primer painted Honda (still no shortage of those), cruising around the Walmart parking lot (seriously, how the f*** does cruising around Wal-freaking-mart make you cool?!)

And now I have to deal with the douchebags with popped collars and attitudes...but thank god the Hipsters haven't made too many inroads down here (yet).

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 10:19:45 PM »
What is wrong with white people listening to wrap?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 10:24:54 PM »
What is wrong with white people listening to wrap?

Oops, you got a misspelling there, let me fix it:

What is wrong with white people listening to crap?

I believe the problem is not people listening to crap, it's imposing their crap on others that is objected to.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 10:35:58 PM »

I believe the problem is not people listening to crap, it's imposing their crap on others that is objected to.

That is the bigger issue. I really don't care what someone listens to so long as I don't have to hear it at such a level that I can't hear my evil right wing hate radio commentators.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 10:47:42 PM »
That is the bigger issue. I really don't care what someone listens to so long as I don't have to hear it at such a level that I can't hear my evil right wing hate radio commentators.
Same here.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 11:18:53 PM »

No, a lot of people clearly object to the music itself.

Also unlike other musical trends, rap songs are almost fungible, distinguished only by their lyrics, which aren't all that distinctive to begin with.

I could say the same thing about the "country" music on the radio these days.  Or the R&B.  Or a lot of the music on the "classical" station, which is just twentieth-century, symphonic, easy-listening drivel.

I feel the same way about R&B and jazz.  I don't know if it makes any sense to say that a form of music is "mediocre," but I'm strongly tempted.  I think in your case, you just don't understand or appreciate rap.  Which is fine, you don't have to like it.  I think a lot of it is crappy myself.  I appreciate GOOD rap, because it is has interesting lyrics, with a lot of word-play.  It's also good when combined with heavy-metal guitar, jazz, violin, or in the case of Outkast, even a country-fried, blues harmonica breakdown. 

But maybe I'm missing out on a lot of the same qualities in jazz or R&B.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 11:21:57 PM »
When something still less intelligent and more obnoxious shows up.

See Lady Gaga.... or any other pop.

While I hate the d-bags that blast it, some rap is GREAT compared to a lot of new pop.  While I loathe both of them personally, eminem and kanye west are both fairly talented folks, I know I couldn't write anything that creative and/or catchy.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 11:23:16 PM »
Friend of mine has a fun solution.  Very impressive sound system and a lot of Wagner.  He *will* play opera louder than the loudest gangsta rap out there.  Personally, I am glad I have never had to share a stoplight with the battle of Hip-hop v. Die Valkyrie, but it seems to be amusing for him.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 11:28:34 PM »
Sturgeon's law. You just never sought out the %10.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 11:34:26 PM »
I tried blasting some opera at the rap pricks across the street.  Carl Orff gets really fricken cool at extreme decibels.  Undeniably cool.  The rap pricks asked me to make 'em a copy of the CD.

:|

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 11:40:44 PM »
Sorry, freakazoid and Fistful, but these old ears can't be convinced that any rap is good. It just sounds like obscene limericks with a heavy back beat.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 11:49:18 PM »
I'm not trying to get you to like it.  I just don't see how it's better or worse than any other form of music.  I love old-school bluegrass and classic hymns that are hundreds of years old.  You just have a lot of bad music in all genres, and everybody has different tastes in music. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife