Author Topic: When, if ever, will rap end?  (Read 25577 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: When, if ever, will rap end?
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2009, 06:10:21 PM »
Jamis, what's the difference between rap and hip-hop?  As far as I know, those are just different names for the same type of music. 

I used to work with a guy that had a Metallica ringtone on his phone. It would ring about fifty times in one eight-hour shift, and it would come blasting out when you least expected it. DARKNESS! IMPRISONING ME! ALL THAT I SEE! BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH! I'm not saying it's a bad song, but why would anyone want that for a ring-tone? 

We worked at a place where they played oldies all day long, and we were talking about that kind of music. Basically, he thought 50's/60's music was lame, because it presented too much of an upbeat view of the world.  He seemed to assume that music was only hip, if it was about depression or anger or something.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 06:23:58 PM »
Probably because it's rock n' roll that they like. How many like swing music or "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window"? ;)

I like swing music.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2009, 06:28:21 PM »
I'm not saying it's a bad song, but why would anyone want that for a ring-tone? 

For the same reason that I have that "Ring.  Ring-ring.  Ring-ring-ring.  RING!  RING-RING!  RING-RING-RING! RRRIIIIINNNNGGGG.  RRRRINNNNNGGGGG AAAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHH!" ringtone on my phone?   :laugh:

http://www.myxertones.com/ringtone:184733/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2009, 06:28:44 PM »
Yeah, Swing had a bit of a come-back in the nineties.  Ska, too. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 06:34:51 PM »
Swing music has gone in and out of pop culture over the years, but it's always been fairly good music.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 06:38:34 PM »
Jamis, what's the difference between rap and hip-hop?  As far as I know, those are just different names for the same type of music. 

I used to work with a guy that had a Metallica ringtone on his phone. It would ring about fifty times in one eight-hour shift, and it would come blasting out when you least expected it. DARKNESS! IMPRISONING ME! ALL THAT I SEE! BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH! I'm not saying it's a bad song, but why would anyone want that for a ring-tone? 

We worked at a place where they played oldies all day long, and we were talking about that kind of music. Basically, he thought 50's/60's music was lame, because it presented too much of an upbeat view of the world.  He seemed to assume that music was only hip, if it was about depression or anger or something.

Lol, sounds like a happy dude.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 06:44:39 PM »
I was going to add that he had had a bit of a troubled past.  A drunken night out with his friends ended up with one the friends dying in a car wreck.  He did some prison time for his part in the debacle.  I imagine if that happened to me, at a very young age, I'd have a pretty sour outlook on the world, myself. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2009, 07:17:48 PM »

When will country go away?

It did around 1990...when all the "New Country" artists trashed the country music scene.... :P
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2009, 07:27:36 PM »
It did around 1990...when all the "New Country" artists trashed the country music scene.... :P

I don't know if that's the correct date, but you're certainly on to something there.   =(

No hip-hop in this one.  I hope we can all agree it is totally slammin'. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWkpCaeoIpA
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:30:40 PM by fistful »

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »
This is my ringtone.  =D

As I am getting older I am finding that I don't mind rap and hip-hop nearly as much as I used to. Perhaps it was the search for the good stuff to show my kids the crap they hear at school isn't all there is to it...

I kinda like this one, even with the super social conscious content:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T87IFnanRPA
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2009, 07:37:02 AM »
>He seemed to assume that music was only hip, if it was about depression or anger or something.<

I've commented about that many times.

Up into the eighty's, almost all music was somewhat upbeat (or at least SOUNDED upbeat). Most of the popular stuff today has too much bitching about "how life sucks".

And you all missed THE biggest problem in this thread:

>Like, nails on the chalkboard of my soul can't stand it.<

When the hell did Rev get a soul?!?!?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2009, 07:43:58 AM »
I thought he was a white boy.  White folk ain't got soul. 

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2009, 08:32:46 AM »
I don't tend to like rap.

However, Jedi Mind Tricks is pretty sweet.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

BMacklem

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2009, 09:04:59 AM »
Even to my untrained ear, modern "rap" is pretty much the same, and the reason the thugs like to blast it is to annoy those who aren't in the "thug" lifestyle.
They seem to have a permanent chip on their shoulders, because "the man" is keeping them down, and now they're empowered by having a Black man in the oval office.

Personally I like Foreigner myself, as they have a pretty decent array of songs, from some good old rock, to the beautiful ballads.
I have "Jukebox Hero" as a ringtone for my best friend who likes to do kareoke on the weekends, and I have "Waiting for a Girl Like You" as my wifes ringtone.

I do also have very ecclectic tastes in all forms of real music though....classical to certain types of New Age , heavier metal (not industrial stuff though like Nightwish) and a lot of 70's progressive rock (Rick Wakeman anyone?)

I'll tell you one thing that really chaps my buns though...all the current rap that has to "sample" really good songs.
The one that made me almost sick to my stomach was some rap crap that used "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner.
You call using autotune and sampling talent?
 I have to disagree, I call it derivative crap

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2009, 11:15:47 AM »
You think "Hot blooded" is great music but dismiss rap?  ;/  :lol:

Yes.

And I don't wear earplugs or rev it up at stop lights.

I know, I was just joking. I hate those damn rattle trap cars too.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2009, 01:55:07 AM »
IMO the only thing worse than (C)rap is when it's fed through Auto-Tune.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2009, 10:21:48 AM »
I imagine that a lot of pop singers and groups are 'fed through Auto-Tune' these days. There are some with great singing voices though. I'm more of a metal and rock fan (although I like other artists from Lou Reed to Portishead) myself.

That said, here's a nice 18 year old girl from our little Island Nation performing a cover song:
Pixie Lott - Apologize
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2009, 11:20:33 AM »
Pretty voice.  Pretty face.  If she hadn't gone the pop tart route, she might be worth a listen.   =(

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2009, 11:46:21 AM »
A buddy of mine just out of high school worked for a car audio place (can't remember off hand which one).  They had built a "show car" that was a pickup truck.  The bed was put on a hydraulic lift, and could be raised up, revealing quite an array of speakers, including 6 (3x2) 12" speakers.  The bed was literally filled with amps, batteries, and capacitors.  The whole bed would actually lift up, and could be rotated and tilted to "aim" the speakers.   He pulled up next to a guy in a parking lot that was blasting some really annoying song (some one hit wonder rap artist that really should just have stuck to flipping burgers or something).  He parks next to this guy, and he's sitting there, zoned out to the world.  Until my buddy has lifted up the bed and pointed the speakers at this guy's rattle trap.  And started blasting Wagner's "Ride of the Valkryies".  At about 120dB...

For some reason the little rattle trap decided it'd be better to go find somewhere else to park....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2009, 01:42:43 PM »

That said, here's a nice 18 year old girl from our little Island Nation performing a cover song:
Pixie Lott - Apologize

Cute girl....great voice....why don't y'all feed your singers?....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »
Yeah, she probably wouldn't look so angst-ridden were she given a cheeseburger every now and then.  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2009, 02:19:56 PM »
I imagine that a lot of pop singers and groups are 'fed through Auto-Tune' these days.

From articles I've read, the vast majority of artists from all genres are fed through Auto-tune for their recordings, with some few exceptions. One article I read quoted a sound engineer with something to the effect that it's just generally assumed the sound guy will pipe them through a light pass of Autotune to clean up any bits of pitchiness.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2009, 02:23:59 PM »
How about some of the lovely Irish Chloë Agnew then? Voluptuous figure, great voice.
Chloë Agnew sings ''Panis Angelicus''

Check out the group she is in called Celtic Woman, if you don't already know them.
Celtic Woman - A New Journey - You Raise Me Up
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2009, 04:03:05 PM »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2009, 08:53:48 PM »
How about some of the lovely Irish Chloë Agnew then? Voluptuous figure, great voice.
Chloë Agnew sings ''Panis Angelicus''

Check out the group she is in called Celtic Woman, if you don't already know them.
Celtic Woman - A New Journey - You Raise Me Up

Not really my cup of tea most of the time. This is my favorite Irish woman singer at the moment. The video scares my kids, though...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein