Author Topic: Which one of you jerks is building an ark?  (Read 9796 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Re: Which one of you jerks is building an ark?
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »
Okay last night brought a few inches (that's what she said).
1-4 inches depending with some localized flooding but nothing like what we got earlier in the week.

Looks like we get to dry out this week.

Good.  I'm getting tired of trying to keep the weeds under control with just the string trimmer and string mower. 

Besides, SWMBO just got her new riding mower and is anxious to use it.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2015, 09:00:29 PM »
Good.  I'm getting tired of trying to keep the weeds under control with just the string trimmer and string mower. 

Wish I had that option.  Looks like I'll be wearing myself out restarting the old Murray as much as it's going to be bogging down with all this growth plus another week.  Might have to go dig the scythe out of mom's storage and touch up the edge.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2015, 09:10:45 PM »
Y'all need to get yourselves a 10YO son and a Fiskars push mower. Wait for the rain to let up for a couple hours and send hm out to do some damage.

Works for me.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2015, 09:26:15 PM »
Y'all need to get yourselves a 10YO son and a Fiskars push mower. Wait for the rain to let up for a couple hours and send hm out to do some damage.

Works for me.

One of the "10yr old sons" has a 16 yr old son, the others oldest is pushing 7 - they said I'm on my own for lawn care.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »
I don't weed eat much.  Just spray grass kill along the edge of the house and fence where I don't edge.  Works well. 

I don't have a big yard and my front yard drains well.  It is usually good to go after a good dry day or two.  My back yard is something else.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2015, 11:11:49 PM »
My front yard's about 2 acres, the back yard's about 3 acres; varies from a creek with wooded and marsh areas on the south side to dry as a desert on the north side, with a 1/4 acre pond just north of the driveway.

Lots of places to use string trimmers/mowers.

I buy concentrated glyphosate in 2.5 gallon jugs, usually one a year.  Since I recently found out about a safe-to-use-near-water glyphosate I'll be buying it in 2.5 gallons jugs too.  With all the rain there hasn't been enough time to spray anything so far this year.  Hopefully gonna make up for that this weekend.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2015, 09:39:42 AM »

Lost a good push mower in the divorce.  No way it would work on this, though.  If it was much taller I'd borrow the tractor and bale it.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2015, 09:43:47 AM »
My neighbors might think I'm crazy....sprinkler is in the front yard.
(kids were playing in it yesterday)
It's amazing how fast that water runs off with the ground so saturated.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2015, 06:17:33 PM »
Lost a good push mower in the divorce.  No way it would work on this, though.  If it was much taller I'd borrow the tractor and bale it.

Goats.

Woodrow Wilson got it wrong by putting sheep on the White House lawn.

Besides, goats will keep the hedges trimmed (if you watch them and keep them moving along).  Great job for a boy and his dog.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2015, 09:08:38 PM »
Plus goats don't come with as many built in jokes.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

jim in anchorage

« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2015, 05:02:32 PM »

Your ex took the lawn mower? Did you get to keep the hedge trimmer?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re:
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2015, 08:43:12 PM »
Plus goats don't come with as many built in jokes.

You've led a sheltered life.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2015, 01:22:58 PM »
You've led a sheltered life.

Compared to sheep it's not so baaad.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2015, 01:28:36 PM »
Meanwhile, here on the east coast (or at least the mountains of Virginia), we've had a ~50% chance of rain forecast all week.

Outcome? Well, for the first time this spring, I won't have to mow my lawn this week since it's been completely dry. Looks like I got that solution to watering my fruit trees right in time.

Well, all I had to do was complain.

Now, it's been raining off and on since Saturday and forecasted to do the same for the next 7 days.

Our sump pump has been working dutifully and last night, the pond in our backyard was reflecting in the street lights.

Which would be pretty, except I haven't yet installed our planned pond. And I don't plan on it being 5000 square feet.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2015, 01:31:14 PM »
Which would be pretty, except I haven't yet installed our planned pond. And I don't plan on it being 5000 square feet.

The level will go down once you dredge it, and you can use the material you get from that to build levees.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2015, 12:26:41 AM »
The level will go down once you dredge it, and you can use the material you get from that to build levees.

The EPA says no to that.  Can't mess with the navigable puddles in your back yard.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2015, 08:17:34 AM »
The EPA says no to that.  Can't mess with the navigable puddles in your back yard.

Sadly, I was debating whether or not to even post that, as it would become evidence of a "wetland" in my backyard. (Clearly my paranoia didn't overwhelm me, but the concern was still there.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2015, 11:03:01 AM »
Went fishing yesterday.  SW out of my port of call takes me past the mouth of the Brazos river.  Water was chocolate colored for 20 miles and we saw half a dozen logs floating, all nice big ones in the 10'-20' size range.  Hitting one of those would be a bad day.
SE out of port tuesday and the water cleared up quickly with no debris.
We went E and came back in from the SE yesterday to avoid those logs....$50 in gas sure beats $1,000's in repairs.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2015, 08:30:06 AM »
Tropical disturbance in the gulf.....
Not expected to get above a weak TS, but it's going to drench an already soaked river system.
Expecting more flooding this week.
JD

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2015, 09:19:27 AM »
Tropical disturbance in the gulf.....
Not expected to get above a weak TS, but it's going to drench an already soaked river system.
Expecting more flooding this week.

It appears you have water rights granted earlier than 1913 (or is it 1911 or 1901??).

Enjoy it while you can.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2015, 09:34:13 AM »
I think the TV weatherpeople are giddy with excitement.  They have already identified ditches to stand in to illustrate the flooding.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2015, 10:01:10 AM »
Yep, gonna rain, again :(

We've almost got the front yard under control - it's time to mow again but it's only ~6" tall instead of 36".  Still have ~3 acres left that is ~36" tall.

DW & I were outside raking up 4 garden trailers worth of cut grass yesterday when the skies opened up.  We were soaked to the skin before we could dump the last load and get inside.

Ain't gonna do any mowing/cutting today....

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2015, 10:10:24 AM »
We've almost got the front yard under control - it's time to mow again but it's only ~6" tall instead of 36".  Still have ~3 acres left that is ~36" tall.

Yeah, hacked mine down Tuesday, and it's already got a thin-but-obvious gathering of 6+" tall stuff coming through the piles of clippings.

At least this time I shouldn't have to wear myself out restarting the mower 1-2 times per pass.  I was seriously trying to figure out what sort of "accident" I could get away with to burn it off before.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2015, 10:40:47 AM »
I've been able to keep my yard under control and made serious progress on getting the garden in hand. Lost a good bit of garden to being too wet too long.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »
Lost a good bit of garden to being too wet too long.

Everything except for the lettuce and one something else drowned, and now the lettuce isn't doing so well.  The something else could be zucchini, but all the markers washed away, and I don't remember what was where in that area.

I guess if I'm still in this place next spring, I'm going to kill off, border and dig up one of the better drained spots, and try for a more durable garden.  I have a 60x100 vacant lot to work with, but turning the whole thing by hand is more than I care to deal with, and finding a decent tiller at a yard sale is unlikely.