Author Topic: Ok, THREE APS meetups and no Michigan? Wth?  (Read 4241 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Ok, THREE APS meetups and no Michigan? Wth?
« on: August 12, 2010, 08:54:13 AM »
Between the Montana thing that I didn't get to and upcoming meetups in the planning in TX and Pacific NW, I have to wonder, why the heck haven't we had or aren't we planning a Michigan/upper midwest APS meetup.

We've got a couple in Lansing, A2, several in metro Detroit, a couple people on the west side and and at least one guy in the UP.  There's some Ohio people.  I don't recall any Hoosiers off the top of my head, but what do I know?

I'm beyond broke right now and so can't make any commitments of any kind whatsoever, but these things tend to have a way of getting better.  Any interest? 

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Ok, THREE APS meetups and no Michigan? Wth?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:56:22 AM »
Hoosiers - El T, cordex

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:18:57 AM »
I'd be interested in something like that.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »
While I'd be interested I probably cannot afford the time off or the drive since I live in the UP, but Ill see what magic I could work. I think there's another guy that lives in or near the UP.
Look, tiny text!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 04:18:48 PM »
I would definitely be interested.  If you want to make it a camping and shooting trip, I have the property to host it.  =)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 04:28:39 PM »
I would definitely be interested.  If you want to make it a camping and shooting trip, I have the property to host it.  =)

I'm not sure where everybody would be coming from but something in that area of the state would make the most sense, wouldn't it?  You are the closest to the largest population center so it stands to reason most members would be out that way.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 04:31:08 PM »
I'm not sure where everybody would be coming from but something in that area of the state would make the most sense, wouldn't it?  You are the closest to the largest population center so it stands to reason most members would be out that way.

I live in Southeast Michigan, but my camp is just outside of Rose City.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:53:18 PM »
I would definitely be interested.  If you want to make it a camping and shooting trip, I have the property to host it.  =)

This is all your neighbors and ex-wife need to see: the Midwest denizens of APS doing target practice on your front lawn.  Perhaps we can all give the neighbors a friendly wave from time to time during close-order drill.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 06:45:13 PM »
Oh sure, I see how it is.  I'm fixing to move from WVa to AZ and now you want to have a midwest meeting.   ;)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:05:10 PM »
There's a few of us in WI too. Depending on when and where I might be able to make it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »
This is all your neighbors and ex-wife need to see: the Midwest denizens of APS doing target practice on your front lawn.  Perhaps we can all give the neighbors a friendly wave from time to time during close-order drill.

That would be funny, but see my last post. :P

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 07:51:07 PM »

That would be awesome.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 04:09:51 PM »
If this is going to happen we need to pick a weekend soon, preferably before hunting seasons are open.

If it is by Rose City that would be 460 miles for me, I would need someone to split gas money with.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 09:21:25 PM »
I'd be interested.  Heck, even a lunch or dinner would be fun if people were interested in something more low key.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
I'd be interested........

Flushing area (no puns, OK?)   :lol:
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 06:52:22 PM »
I am already planning to go up to my place on Labor Day weekend and the following weekend (militia training).  Bowhunting season starts October 1.

That leaves us with few choices, unless you guys want to come on Labor Day weekend, or if you want to camp in October and not do any shooting.  FWIW, mid to late October is gorgeous up there.  My place is 12 miles from the Ausable River Valley in the Huron National Forest.  Lots of great overlooks, boardwalks etc. that offer stunning views in the fall.

Here is a great picture of the trees above my shooting range backstop in October:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:58:36 PM by Declaration Day »

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 11:03:24 PM »
I am already planning to go up to my place on Labor Day weekend and the following weekend (militia training).  Bowhunting season starts October 1.

That leaves us with few choices, unless you guys want to come on Labor Day weekend, or if you want to camp in October and not do any shooting.  FWIW, mid to late October is gorgeous up there.  My place is 12 miles from the Ausable River Valley in the Huron National Forest.  Lots of great overlooks, boardwalks etc. that offer stunning views in the fall.

Here is a great picture of the trees above my shooting range backstop in October:

But what are the choices?  Sounds like late September with guns or mid-to-late October without? 

Personally, I do not have any time constraints right now, other than if I can beg, borrow, or steal the cash, I will be at Big Mac for Labor Day.  I am however, in the midst of the usual round of issues and can't really be depended upon to be able to make, so I'll go with whatever is good for other people.  I sure wouldn't mind publicly embarrassing myself with a pistol; I let my range membership lapse while I was pregnant and at my range, one can't shoot pistol at all without a membership.  Can't afford the hourly rate the other local places charge, so it's been a long, long, long time. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 11:05:37 PM »
I'm going to have to be in Grapids at New Years for a wedding...   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »
I'm going to have to be in Grapids at New Years for a wedding...   =|

Your daughter, right?  It's not that bad is it?

Little chilly for camping though.  My personal tolerance for recreational winter tent camping was tested at Tahquamenon Falls in November 2006.  Of course, I had the kiddo with me, so there were a few additional challenges.  Good hiking, and the only way I'll ever really enjoy state park campgrounds--when I'm the only one there!  But a little chilly.  I vote no to an afternoon of recreational shooting in 10-20f.  I'm an even worse shot in gloves than I am without, and that's saying something.  =)

Otoh, if some of the other west-siders want to meet up for lunch or something while you're in town, I'd be up for a drive to GR in early January.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 10:59:29 AM »
It's not that bad is it?

Never yet been east of the Mississippi (or even too near it for that matter).  I was hoping to end my days without changing that.  =|

A family of close friends is now going to become inlaws.  =)

I dunno how quick our trip is going to be.  Lunch is a definite option.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 11:15:02 AM »
If you take the northern route, across Minnesota and the UP, you can substantially avoid a lot of the unpleasantness.  Heck, if you have some time, you can pick up (iirc) M31 a couple miles south of the bridge and mostly avoid the freeways.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »
If you take the northern route, across Minnesota and the UP, you can substantially avoid a lot of the unpleasantness.  Heck, if you have some time, you can pick up (iirc) M31 a couple miles south of the bridge and mostly avoid the freeways.

That's what I want to do, and it is the closest route mileage wise considering we are about the same latitude as the UP.

I'm not sure what that will be like in the middle of winter, though .....

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 08:15:21 PM »
I'm not sure what that will be like in the middle of winter, though .....

Make sure you have an emergency kit in your car and don't press your luck.  I've driven all the way across the UP in winter and never had a problem, and I've also seen weather so bad that it took hours to drive the 45 miles from Sault Ste. Marie to St. Ignace.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »
Make sure you have an emergency kit in your car and don't press your luck.  I've driven all the way across the UP in winter and never had a problem, and I've also seen weather so bad that it took hours to drive the 45 miles from Sault Ste. Marie to St. Ignace.

+1

Except west to east there is no freeway.  US 2 is ploughed pretty quickly, although I haven't been fast west on it in the winter, my friends who have say it's good.  Except coming into St. Ignace where the wind sweeps in across the Lake.  It's plenty sandy, but can get hairy.  Watch for deer...