Author Topic: Flash drive OSeses  (Read 3947 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Flash drive OSeses
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:00:50 AM »
Aren't they cool?  I've got a persistent install of Ubuntu on a flash drive now.  After I'm done with a few basic tweaks, I'm going to install it to hard drive, then hang on to it, in case I need it later.

Any good security tips, in case I Ben (lose) the drive?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: Flash drive OSeses
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 12:22:06 AM »
I believe there are ways to using truecrypt to encrypt an entire drive and still run an OS off it. I can't tell you how though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:26:54 AM by RaspberrySurprise »
Look, tiny text!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 12:27:32 AM »
Any good security tips, in case I Ben (lose) the drive?

Ha ha.

RS beat me too it in that I was not sure if there was a SafeBoot like encryption front end for a flash drive with the OS on it, but then I saw:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=702795

Doesn't sound exactly easy though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Iain

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:08:45 AM »
Are they cool? Install chntpw and freak your friends out by blanking their Windows passwords.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:45:28 AM »
Are they cool? Install chntpw and freak your friends out by blanking their Windows passwords.

I love chntpw, it has saved my butt a couple of times.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:16:17 PM »
The most recent ubuntu asks you during install whether you want to encrypt users' home directories.  Unless you store personal information elsewhere on the filesystem, that should be adequate.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
I just used Ubuntu 9.10 on a CD to get into a Windows 7 system. I never used it before and was impressed with how it looked. I tried to do the same with version 10 and it would not load.

I would like to know how to install it on a flash drive because it would be easier to carry around than a CD. Any links to easy to follow instructions on how to do that?
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »
I just used Ubuntu 9.10 on a CD to get into a Windows 7 system. I never used it before and was impressed with how it looked. I tried to do the same with version 10 and it would not load.

I would like to know how to install it on a flash drive because it would be easier to carry around than a CD. Any links to easy to follow instructions on how to do that?

Download the iso of whatever flavor Linux you want.
Download unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/.
Run unetbootin and select iso and tell it where the iso image is and select the drive that is the USB key and click okay.
Wait until unetbootin is done (it will seem like it has locked up at some point but it isn't.)
Bootable USB Key with Linux.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:24 PM »
Or follow the instructions on the Ubuntu page.  It's easy enough, assuming it will also work for 9.10.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 11:40:44 PM »
I installed ubuntu 10.4 on a 32GB Corsair Survivor USB.  Runs great, install was easy.  Boots fine into Ubuntu, but when you shut down and boot into Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Win 7 freezes up.  It takes several reboots and use of the repair CD to fix what ever the problem is.  So Ill pass on linux on a flash drive until the problem is solved, that, or Ill install and run it in Oracles virtual box.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 07:18:19 PM »
The most recent ubuntu asks you during install whether you want to encrypt users' home directories.  Unless you store personal information elsewhere on the filesystem, that should be adequate.

If you install it, yes, but not when you run it from a flash drive.  Can it be done on a flash drive?

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 08:51:10 PM »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 11:06:58 PM »
You are nice.  Will try.