Author Topic: Public Relations Fail  (Read 6632 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Public Relations Fail
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:19:52 PM »
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/nj-teen-seeks-dress-refund-to-pay-for-boyfriends-funeral-20110520

Prom dress shop won't refund the money for an unworn prom dress.

As you can see from the link even, she's returning it because her boyfriend died before prom.

I understand the problem for retailers, especially specialty retailers, with taking returns for cash.

Their policy should be that they don't do that. They should also make sure their policy doesn't end up making them appear to be heartless profit-mongers. ESPECIALLY if they are heartless profit-mongers. You'll make more profit if you act like you aren't.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Public Relations Fail
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:42:06 PM »
Couldn't she get another date...?   :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 10:55:26 PM »

Back to my point about heartless... :P

(and, yes, I laughed. I'm a terrible person.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 10:58:29 PM »
Couldn't she get another date...?   :P

You beat me to it.  Save me a seat in hell.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:01:49 PM by Declaration Day »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »
One of my first lessons in this was when some lady wanted to return a used smoking pipe she had bought for her husband, who didn't like it.  I refused to do it, and she wanted a manager.  Manager refunded the money, and after she left, he told me it was cheaper to refund the money than to lose a customer.

There are abuses of a liberal return policy, and the lesson has to be applied judiciously, but the lesson is clear.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 01:55:34 AM »
How used was the pipe?  Most of my pipes were still salable several weeks after purchase, some longer than that.  It takes time for the briar to blacken, and even longer for teeth marks to appear on the stem.  If it was lightly used, one could theoretically clean it up and put it in the bargain bin.  Not the end of the world.

As for the OP, I can only think that this would make a great episode for Family Guy.  And Tallpine, I laughed out loud.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 02:59:56 AM »

Ayep.  I can respect the policy.  I can still think the manager in question is an idiot for such a PR blunder.  Be a good way to get positive PR by going along, sending a bunch of cheap flowers to the funeral with your logo on it, etc.  Instead of being a By-The-Book idiot.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 03:11:24 AM »
"How used was the pipe?"

Teeth marks, some dottle still in the bowl.  Apparently he'd treid to break it in, still didn't like it.  This was one of my first jobs in Colorado, back in the sixties.  Didn't matter --the lesson was the same.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 07:34:53 AM »
Manager refunded the money, and after she left, he told me it was cheaper to refund the money than to lose a customer.
Yup.  My dad was a retail manager most of my life (has taken a 2nd career in real estate and loves it).  I've heard that lesson before because he's had to teach it to his subordinates many times.

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 08:07:51 AM »
Manager refunded the money, and after she left, he told me it was cheaper to refund the money than to lose a customer.

Wonder how many customers Freehold's Diane and Co. will lose by making this blunder?  Remember, the Internet can make any customer dissatifaction story a world-wide event....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 09:56:38 AM »
Wonder how many customers Freehold's Diane and Co. will lose by making this blunder?  Remember, the Internet can make any customer dissatifaction story a world-wide event....

Didn't the Lee Precision folks learn this from THR?   Honestly, I'm still half leery from ordering from those folks.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 09:57:14 AM »
Didn't the Lee Precision folks learn this from THR?   Honestly, I'm still half leery from ordering from those folks.

What happened there?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 11:23:39 AM »
Back to my point about heartless... :P

(and, yes, I laughed. I'm a terrible person.)

You beat me to it.  Save me a seat in hell.

I guess my laughing, makes me as bad as y'all.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »
What happened there?

Short story long, dude ordered something from Lee Precision.  They apparently sent two packages.  One he ordered, one he didn't.  He said he only received what he ordered.  Lee repeatedly called and sent bills.  The thing was like $40.  UPS had no documentation on the second package.  Apparently the customer service reps were not polite.  He finally got to John Lee, who explained that he did not trust the dude and believed UPS without documentation.  

So dude posts it to THR, TFL, etc.  Some folks waffle, some believe him.  The folks at Lee Precision eventually find out from a handful of folks calling and saying "I ain't giving you my money until this is resolved".  So Lee posts confirming their shoddy treatment, barely seemed concerned at the bad PR and offered "If Mr. XXXX really did not receive the package he has my heartfelt apology."  (A package he didn't order, and UPS couldn't prove via signature that he received.)  And also lists the customer by name.  

More than a few folks responded "Uh...  Mr Lee?  Yea, there is NO WAY I am trusting YOU with my cash now."  Things go viral.  Including folks posting the reply from Lee on bulletin boards at shooting clubs and shooting instructors offering to mention it to their students.  Lee posts a second time with a more heartfelt apology.  Some folks buy it, some don't.

If nothing else, it served as a very very good example of how not to do business.  And I'm going with a Dillon when I get into reloading.  I want and will do so, but not plausible in an apartment.  I do homebrewing.  Sure, it's just making wine.  But I put my dollars into good equipment from folks/companies I trust.  Worst case scenario is either a bad tasting batch or something breaking and spilling fermenting grape juice everywhere (which sucks to clean up).   Bad reloading equipment?  If you're not careful, it could theoretically destroy a firearm or cause injury.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 12:47:38 PM »
<snip>

Huh...well, that's too bad. I'd been thinking about getting one of their cheap hand reloading kits for a while now; only reason I hadn't is because I was worried about how precise the measurements are with their scoops, and I didn't want to buy a scale. Guess I'll take a miss on that now, and save up till I can afford a starter kit from someone else.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »
Okay you've heard the bad on Lee.. Now hear some good.

I've had a Lee Load-All since college (1983ish).  I've had a couple parts break/wear out.  Call Lee and ordered them.  They sent the parts no-charge.  Not even postage.

I heard the same story on other sites as well.

Yeah, Lee screwed the pooch on that one order.  But they've made up for it many, many, many times over.

And finally, their tools and dies are inexpensive, notice I didn't say cheap, but inexpensive.   I reloaded over 600 rounds of .45 ACP over the last week or so.  Powder from the Perfect Powder Measure weighed the exact same and when finished, all rounds are within .001 OAL.  

Lee's stuff works as advertised.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:22:26 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
I've used virtually nothing but Lee since I got into reloading around 1998.  I load all of my centerfire ammo except shotgun (don't shoot enough to justify the effort). I cast as well and use a Lee furnace and one Lee mould (other is RCBS).

The few times I've needed any CS from them, they've responded quickly and politely.

Chris

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 01:11:22 PM »
What happened there?

Here is the THR thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=87394
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »
Here is the THR thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=87394

Isn't seven years of atonement enough?.....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 07:05:15 PM »
Isn't seven years of atonement enough?.....  =|

k, lemme put this way.  I intend on getting into reloading.  And I prefer good quality equipment I can use for decades and trust.  Suppose money isn't a primary concern, and long term durability slash customer service is.  Would you trust Dillon, with a perception of flawless record, or Lee, with a perception of somewhat but not horribly tarnished record?  I've literally never heard of anything negative about Dillon, aside from their pricetag being a bit high but equal to the quality you're buying.

I'm personally not of the opinion that zOMG LEE IS TEH HORRORS!!!1!!eleventy!!, but it is that simple of a question.  If you were in my shoes, as stated above, what would your decision be?

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 05:23:59 AM »
k, lemme put this way.  I intend on getting into reloading.  And I prefer good quality equipment I can use for decades and trust.  Suppose money isn't a primary concern, and long term durability slash customer service is.  Would you trust Dillon, with a perception of flawless record, or Lee, with a perception of somewhat but not horribly tarnished record?  I've literally never heard of anything negative about Dillon, aside from their pricetag being a bit high but equal to the quality you're buying.

Be honest....you're buying from Dillon because of the catalog.....  ;)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 10:30:53 AM »
Be honest....you're buying from Dillon because of the catalog.....  ;)

Sigh.  Yea, actually.  But dude, that M134D looks friggin' HAWT!

Don't judge me.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »
Sigh.  Yea, actually.  But dude, that M134D looks friggin' HAWT!

Don't judge me.

Mechanophillic pervert.....

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 07:06:03 PM »
I'm not sure about UPS but I'm pretty sure it's the law that if you send someone something through the postal mail they did not order not only can they keep it but it's illegal for you to bill them for it.
Look, tiny text!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 12:18:21 AM »

Mechanophillic pervert.....

Hey, ALL conduct between me and any M134D I've uh, operated, has been entirely consensual.  And you're just jealous of our sweet sweet 6,000 round per minute love.