Author Topic: Moving to college on saturday  (Read 2057 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Moving to college on saturday
« on: August 17, 2006, 04:51:31 PM »
I'm moving up to Sonoma State in beautiful Rohnert Park, California, from my born-and-raised home of San Francisco.

Got all my stuff together, already networking (thank god for the internet), etcetera. Got any tips or anecdotes?

PS. I don't have a roommate, and I have my own bathroom. And access to a kitchen. I'm so friggin excited.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

bratch

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 04:54:33 PM »
Go to class and do the homework even if its "optional".

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 06:03:56 PM »
All things in moderation.  
Campus jobs rock.  
Chocolate and peporoni do NOT go together.  
Walk to and from parties.  
You will only get parking tickets if you don't have a forged permit.  
Don't make too big of a deal of things.
Friendships made in college will last a lifetime.
Even if it seems like a good idea at the time, do NOT start smoking when drunk.

Listen to this file:
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ncleone/baz.mp3

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 06:04:42 PM »
If you'd be embarrassed to be seen with her in public, don't sleep with her.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Kyle

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 06:40:42 PM »
I am going back to school for my second year as well. I am leaving tomorrow night. UT San Antonio, baby.

I have some tips for you.

Do not go to big parties full of strangers. Bad news. It might seem like the college thing to do, so ya, go ahead and go to a couple when you first get there. But chill it down and have your own parties with real friends. It will mean so much more and keep you out of trouble. And that doesnt have to get in the way of the dating scene, your friends have female friends, and you will make your own female friends in classes and extra-C's.

Your school probably has an online Web-CT type of program that yhour professors use to keep you updated and so forth. Check it everyday!

If you really like a professor, and he seems like the friendly type, make friends for christsakes. Go have coffee with him, chat after class, etc. Not just for brownie points, they are interesting people who you may keep in contact with for years.

There is much less BS to deal with in college, but dont drop your guard down. Some people dont grow up right away, and some never do.

Beer before liquor, never sicker, liquor before beer your in the clear!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 09:38:37 PM »
To expand on one of Nick's points, see if you can get a job as a dispatcher for your school's campus police/public safety department.  Having a good reputation in that department can come in handy over the next four years.  If you really want to take it to the best level, work third shift.  Talking to the cops/security guards all night will boost your reputation.

My friend and I (still best friends after 11 years) used to wail on each other with various martial arts implements at all times of day and night.  The ONLY reason why we got away with it was because I was an excellent dispatcher and very friendly with all of the officers.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Chris

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 10:19:36 AM »
College is really one of the true areas in life where you get out of it what you put into it.  Choose classes ad a major accordingly.  Sure, you might pull a 4.0 as an Underwater Basket Weaving major, but what good will it do you.

College campuses are the locaion of greatly unreported/underreported crime, especially theft.  Lock up your dorm room every time you leave, even if only for a short time.  Keep an eye on your things, and don't walk away from them in the library to get another book.  Arm yourself in the dorm room within the rules of the institution.  In other words, no firearms, get a bat, a ball, and a glove.  Openly display all three, and no one will question the bat.  A nice fixed blade knife blends in with other camping gear.  Golf clubs make decent weapons, especially the old steel shaft clubs.  Hockey sticks also can serve the purpose.

Work hard.  Play hard.  Make memories.  Make minor mistakes so you can learn from them.  

Never forget to take a condom with you to a party, so you won't have an excuse to not use one.  Yeah, she may not have any social disease, but becoming a daddy will ruin your plans.

Go to all of the strage clubs, at least once.  The evening I spent in a goth bar was truly fascinating, and would lead me into a very long story...

Never forget your common sense.

Get a good backpack, good walking shoes, and a good waterproof coat.  Waterproof shoes would be good on the rainy days you have to go to class.

Get a thumb/flash drive and back up your computer files daily.  If working on a major paper, save it to the hard drive and thumb drive.  Beats having to retrieve a file from a crashed hard drive at 3 a.m.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 01:13:07 PM »
Make sure you know your first roomie.  

Major in something you can eat after graduation.  Psychology may be interesting but the economic value below the PHD level is limited.

Play hard but only after working hard.  If you don't work hard you have no right to play hard.

Consider first semester as educational time.  You'll learn how to screw up and recover.  You'll learn how to operate an alarm clock.  You'll learn how to regulate your own life.  College is only what you make of it.  You have to make plans and execute.  You'll have to endure pointless BS simply because you want the degree more than being free of the BS or the administrator of BS.  You'll learn how to tolerate people you'd just as soon be free of.  

In other words college is a shadow of reality.  You get out of it what you put into it.

Work hard and play hard.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 02:01:38 PM »
USB Flashdrive is your safety net.

Have a backup for PC and Internet :

-Always get alternate email addresses for turning in Homework to instructors. via WebCT, Moodle, or Blackboard.

-Have somewhere handy to use the Internet - like Kinko's.  Nice to have  alternate ways to send in homework, take practice tests...etc. When your system goes "kaput".  [This is the part you run with USB and get on the 'Net, to get homework in - in the nick of time. ]

Check out all exits, entrances, stairwells , emergency lighting, fire extinguishers, fire alarm pulls...
Observe campus and surrounding area during the week, weekends, and all times on the clock...nice to know what all is going when and where.

During "Cut off Shorts - Tank Top" season...steps, stairs, just move out from under your feet, elevators close on you and doors just run up an bop you in the face...

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 04:02:15 PM »
I finished college in 1972. In all the years since then, I've been asked to provide a transcript of my courses and grades exactly once, and that was for a job I didn't really want.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »
College campuses are the locaion of greatly unreported/underreported crime, especially theft.
I dunno.  It was pretty well reported on my campus.  'Course, when you have 20 laptops stolen in two weeks on a campus of less than 3,000 students, you kinda have to broadcast it before theft becomes something worse.

You're a dude, so your biggest worry (on campus) is theft.  Even so, don't be stupid.  We had an exceptionally good security force.  Most don't.

A calendar is good.  Not a planner, unless you're that obsessive weirdo type who already has one, a calendar.  Display it prominently.  Write things on it.  This will prevent the Oh *expletive deleted*it Moment(tm) at 2130 the night before the 20-pager in the 0900 class is due.  Since you're wondering, it was Dr. Cobb's America In The Middle East class and I got an A on it.

No, your RA cannot solve any problems for you.  Not even finding more TP when the whole dorm is out.  Act accordingly.

Red is not the only color that runs, especially when it's a new garment.

Don't bother taking a condom to a party.  DON'T SLEEP WITH GIRLS YOU PICK UP AT PARTIES!!!  Forget pregnancy and the clap, worry about what kind of girl we're talking about.  Unless she has REALLY bad vision (or you look just like somebody else on campus), you don't wanna go there.  Know your limit for "partying" (whichever form it may take...) and act accordingly.  Getting hammered with a couple close friends is no biggie, but in a large group of people you WILL find somebody with a Sharpie.

Really, you can get all these little tidbits of advice, and they don't do you much good.  The only truly useful advice is to keep your head about you, pay attention, and learn from your mistakes.  The only people I saw fail did it the same way multiple times.  You get a lot of second chances in college.  Never, EVER put yourself in a position to need a third.

That, and laundry.  Weekly.  I don't care what it costs.

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 05:32:40 PM »
yeah I learned the never forget a condom in the second hardest way, on Orientation/stay a night in the dorms day earlier this summer. The hardest way being an organism leeching my life energy to survive, like a social disease or a kid.

The second hardest way is to man up and do nothing.

I don't drink after some bad experiences, celebrated two years sober in Saint Petersburg, Russia in April. Opposite sex, well I've had some success but now it seems that I'm content if they smile at me sometimes. I don't need to bend my body and break my bank for 20 minutes of fun.

Crap. I sound like an old man.

Got the wall organizer, the schmoozing with teachers, and the laundry thing down.

Thanks for the advice guys.

PS- I don't think girls who'll sleep with a guy on the first day they meet them are all necessarly psychologically damaged. Seems to me, girls have needs too.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 12:52:29 PM »
well, here I am. Pretty excited.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 01:03:54 PM »
First and foremost, do not confuse college with reality.  It is a reality, but is one of the realities where folks are insulted from the harsher realities of existence.

Don't forget to acquire skills & credentials that an employer can find useful.  There are already too many history, psych, and *-studies graduates doling out Starbucks coffee.  "Why can't I make a decent living with a Black-Studies/Victim-Studies double-major degree?  It must be racism!"

Assume you will be back for a master's degree.  While working full-time.  Progress waits for no man & most skills are perishable.

Double-majors are a good idea.  Most course plans are so larded up with bullsh!t electives, a second major is easily do-able in eight semesters.  The exceptions would be most engineering degrees, architecture, & such hefty bacculaurate courses of study.  They are usually 10+ semester endeavors.

A gal who you meet for the first time at a party who says "yes" is not worth wasting time on.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Chuck Dye

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 02:46:00 PM »
There are a horde of services available on campus FOR WHICH YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID  whether you use them or not.  When you find a speed bump, be sure there is someone who can ease you over it.  Self sufficiency is great, but do not let yourself struggle, regardless the cause, without availing yourself of campus services FOR WHICH YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 04:49:21 PM »
Jack,
Congrats on the big step toward adulthood!
Partys are part of the college experience, so have at it. Just not at the expense of your education. If you find yourself skipping classes due to partying, act accordingly.
Re: the 1st night "dates"; everyone is worth at least 30 minutes of your time (mit condom, naturlich). Enjoy it while you can. The boost to your self-esteem is well worth the effort, and will help out with the next round of dates.
Don't worry about choosing a major this soon. Sample the classes that sound interesting and something will come to you. I did 3.5 years of M.E. before deciding that that was not for me.

Good luck and keep your powder dry!

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 08:04:42 AM »
-College can be fun, and it should be, but always remember that you are there to learn.  An occasional party can be fun, just don't spend too much time and energy on that when you should be studying.  Also, find some more wholesome ways of enjoying yourself (biking, rock climbing, hiking, etc).  You will need a way to relieve some of the stress, just don't burn yourself out by doing so the wrong ways.

-I think I remember that you said once that you are Jewish.  We can be a bit of a minority in most areas, and many college campuses aren't very Jewish friendly anymore (taking anti-Israel to the extreme of becoming outright anti-Jewish), if your school has a Hillel or Chabad House make use of it.  If it doesn't, seek out a few fellow Jewish students (I'm not saying to avoid those who aren't, just seek a few who are).  Sometimes that retreat will be very nice to have (you don't have to be religious, sometimes it is nice to be around people with similar backgrounds/experiences/needs/etc when in a setting that can sometimes be, or at least seem, pretty antagonistic).

-Similar to the above, college campuses aren't always very pro-gun and can sometimes seem pretty unfriendly to those of us who are pro-2nd Amendement.  If there is a gun club join it, if not then seek out some other pro-gun students for shooting and comisserating.

-Take a part-time job while in school.  Many people (myself included) tend to do better at time management (and thus better at school) the less free time they have.  It will give you some much appreciated spending money (if you can afford to keep a car on the road and buy a few beers you will be nearly rich in comparison to many of your peers).  It will keep you grounded in the real world and be a good (but productive) break from achedemics.  Most importantly it will give you valuable work experience which could give you a leg up on other applicants for a post-degree job or graduate school application- to make the most of this try to make it related to your post school plans (if med school, nursing, etc get a job or volunteer in a hospital, if psychology or social work any kind of human services like a hospital or school will look good, if business try to get into a bank teller position).

-If you have trouble finding a part-time job, if you still have extra time, or if you have no idea what you want to do then volunteer.  It is a way to try out different fields and get an idea if you like it, and if you do you will get some experience that should help you find a job later.

-Take an internship or two.  The experience you get (even if you've already been in part-time jobs) can be invaluable, the entry on your resume can be even more valuable, and often the company/organization where you interned will be your first job after graduation.

-

Major in something you can eat after graduation.  Psychology may be interesting but the economic value below the PHD level is limited.
I partially agree.  I was a psychology major and I have had some decent enough jobs, but when I decided I wanted to get into the field (to get experience which is needed to get into graduate school) the best I could do (after I had a degree) was substitute teaching and later making around $12/hr at a psych hospital doing a job that didn't require a degree.  However, my psych degree and sub experience are what got me my new job as a special education teacher (though I guess a special ed degree would have made it even easier).  It can also help in management positions depending upon what psych coursework you took (though it would be easier to sell a hiring manager on your business degree since they tend not to like to have to work to see where your experiences and education are pertinent).  Also, there are masters level jobs that pay well in psych- I/O Psychology and School Psychology can both pay quite well at the MA level.  Still, I agree that if you are interested in human services but don't want grad school (at least not right away) you should go with something like social work, education, or nursing over psychology.

Where I agree wholeheartedly (instead of partially as above) is if you are interested in something where it is hard to impossible to put your degree to use (art, music, philosophy, sociology, history, etc) or something where you must do graduate school to really make a living (the non-business economics degrees, psychology, pre-med, law school, etc) be sure to double major in something "useful".  You may never make it to grad school, or you may find yourself taking some time off.  Psychology and business make for great prep for a business position involving dealing with people (management, sales, PR, HR, advertising, etc).  Business and music or art can be used for some very specific niche markets, or it can be good for advertising (or just use the business professionally).  Psychology and nursing or education work very well together.  You get the idea.  Even if you do go to grad school right away it will help you stand out to grad school committies looking at your application if you don't look like all other applicants.

If making the most money possible is your concern then major in something like accounting, finance, some types of engineering, computers can still be good if you pick your specialty carefully, etc.

If never being unemployed is your concern then special education or nursing would be good choices as well as some specialties in computers and engineering.

Most importantly, pick something you like.  You will be putting a lot of work into your degree.  You WILL do better if you are studying something you enjoy.
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 08:51:18 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'm allegedly in the substance free dorms, which are apparently not. Last night I had to tell my drunken roommates that if they slipped me drugs or alcohol I would kill them. And I meant it.

This is going to be stressful.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 09:07:03 AM »
- Go to every class, every day.  Most classes are a waste of time, but go anyway.

- All colleges have a shooting club.  Find yours and join it.

- Fraternities are best described as kindergarden for college students.  Join one if you want your maturity level to drop a few notches.

- Find the school's exercise facility.  Learn to use that to relieve your stress instead of alcohol or girls or drugs or the like.

- Colleges are pretty hyped up about preventing and prosecuting rape these days.  Sometimes this goes overboard, so be careful.  I had a friend who got hammered at a big party and ended up going home with an equally hammered girl we'd just met that night.  The next morning, when she realized she'd had sex last night, she flipped out and accused my pal of date raping her.  She was too drunk to remember anything, and too innocent to consider the possibility that she was either drunk or willing/anxious to sleep with a complete stranger.  Ya see, she was a "nice girl" and would never do anything irresponsible like that.  It wasn't her fault, it had to be the guy's fault.  Rape was the only possible explaination.  It was easier, in her mind, to accuse my friend of rape, than to accept responsibility for her own drunken debauchery.

She took it to the school autorities, which made life miserable and extremely difficult for my friend.  It eventually became clear to these authorities (who are NOT officers of any court or government agency, and as such do NOT have any interest in due process) that date rape was extremely unlikely.  My friend managed to clear his name in the end, but it nearly cost him his education.  Don't let yourself get into this kind of mess.

So, don't ever sleep with a girl who's too drunk to remember you in the morning.  Don't ever get so drunk yourself that you won't remember anything afterwards, unless you're in the exclusive company of friends you trust completely.

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 09:12:50 AM »
Quote from: Winston Smith
I'm allegedly in the substance free dorms, which are apparently not. Last night I had to tell my drunken roommates that if they slipped me drugs or alcohol I would kill them. And I meant it.
Word of warning, you will want to be wary of issuing such warnings/threats.  A previous posting talked about how there can be some a real anti-2nd amendment sentiments on campus.  What I think most board members will say are reasonable warnings, 'drug me and I will kill you' frequently become 'My roommate threatened to kill me' Administrator: The crazy gun guy? 'Yah'.   You would be amazed at how often the good guy is framed as the unreasonable one.  

I actually was told by an administator of an undergrad place I went that drug use (not just pot and alchohol, but cocaine and meth), theft, destruction of property, and light rape are all part of the college experiance and that I'm the one out of step.

Just be mindfull of that viscious liberal elite out there plotting against you Wink

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 09:15:17 AM »
Quote from: Winston Smith
Thanks for all the advice guys.

This is going to be stressful.
Yup.  Leave a bit of pot in a rivals room, then anonymously report him to the school authorities.  Blammo!  "Zero tolerance", no questions asked, two hours for him to pack up and move out of the dorm.  It's a time-honored way to get even with somebody, or for them to get even with you.  It happens disturbingly often, so watch out.

A slightly more refined  form of this tactic is to use a rival's computer to download some kiddie porn, then report him to the FBI.  He almost certainly gets kicked out of the school, not just the dorm.  He gets written up as a pervert and child molester in the school newspaper and probably his hometown newspaper as well.  His parents look at him like he's a freak.  Any chances he had of a relationship with a girl disappear.  Any job offers he's recieved or is about to receive vanish.  Life as he knew it is OVER.  It isn't pretty.

This is reason #52 why private off-campus apartments are worth their weight in gold.  Reason #1 is that you're allowed to keep firearms in your own apartment, but not your dorm.

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 10:45:41 AM »
I have my own room that locks, that is locked all the time when I'm not in it. I wouldn't have it any other way, and I mean that literally.

I'm allergic to alcohol. When I drink it, I have an abnormal reaction and have symptoms of craving and become someone else, someone a little (meaning a lot) more sociopathic. Due to early consequences thereof and plain not liking it i've not had a drink in almost 2 and a half years.

I won't let someone ruin it.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2006, 10:54:20 AM »
Here's my tip about halls of residence - if you're watching a film late at night with a girl you don't really know, and she falls asleep in a very awkward position, don't gently shake her awake to inform her of this before you leave.

In fact, looking back what disturbs me most about this story is that no-one came running to the screams.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 01:08:25 PM »
Quote from: Huck Phinn
There are a horde of services available on campus FOR WHICH YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID  whether you use them or not.  When you find a speed bump, be sure there is someone who can ease you over it.  Self sufficiency is great, but do not let yourself struggle, regardless the cause, without availing yourself of campus services FOR WHICH YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID.
Amen amen amen to this one!  

As the professor may I recommend

Read the syllabus on the first day of class.  In a week or so, read it again.  Read it again a week or so later.  Us faculty folks spend a lot of time trying to take the mystery out of class by writing the syllabus.  Same thing goes for assignments.  Don't lose stupid points because ya can't follow directions.

Use office hours.  Come in with legitimate questions when you need help.
Experiment with a chemist!

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 11:45:38 AM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
- Fraternities are best described as kindergarden for college students.  Join one if you want your maturity level to drop a few notches.
I disagree.  While some are exactly as you describe, some are made up of people that are highly motivated and successful.  You just have to be selective.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.