Author Topic: Joys of a clean house! You may be a Yankee if . . .  (Read 2247 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Joys of a clean house! You may be a Yankee if . . .
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 10:37:04 AM »
Quote from: Larry Ashcraft
You guys are wimps.  I mowed seven acres on Saturday. Smiley
Not with a push mower I imagine.  Tongue

Chris

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006, 10:37:42 AM »
Well, Larry, I think my front yard and back add up to about 1/10th of an acre.Cheesy

May have to watch that big rig of yours on my front yard, it's a steep hill--you might spill your beer.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 10:44:59 AM »
Seven down, 28 to go!  Last weekend, for the Colorado Get Together, it looked like I hadn't lifted a finger all summer.

Then diesel went down from $3.29 to $2.99.  Yippee!  That's CHEAP!  So I filled the tractor and mowed the field.

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2006, 10:56:54 AM »
True Story, and sad.

Remember I was born in '55.

There was one small block of houses , with an alley, and near a Filling Station.

This nice guy, he always waved, always kept his front yard cut and everything ...well his wife died.  He started being a bit less "neat" and was working more hours.

It looked like he was a carpenter, or plumber, or something to do with building houses.  His truck always had materials, new and used tools in the bed.

Folks around him just said he was having a hard time and needed time to grieve.  All this time period Civil Defense drills , JFK shot in Dallas...

Green Army Sedan was parked in front of his house one day. Then for a few days these Army vehicles, sedans, some pickup trucks and some civilian ones were in his back yard and in the alley.

A Mentor that had been in the Service and I went for a walk, and Mentor and this Army Person, spoke.

--

This was beautiful two bedroom house built on pier and beam, as was the they houses were done. The front of the house was immaculate. I mean perfect in every detail. Sparkling clean, not a fingerprint on a picture, no dust to be found anywhere.

Back of the house was a shelter.  He had taken out the floors, gone deep into the earth beneath. He had done an incredible job of basically putting an underground storm shelter in the back of the house.

He was in Korea, in Intelligence, and extremly smart. His IQ was extremely high.  He had been captured and escaped his Captors in Korea, the only one that did so, others had died.  When his wife died, he lost it. She had keep him going all the time he served. With the Cold War, and threat of Communism, he went into survival mode.

His house was put back as it was originally, and later sold to a young married couple, and the husband in National Guard.

This guy they moved him to a private place, and being as he was smart, they took care of him, and he was consulted on things.

It was very very sad.  Just he hit a breaking point and broke.

I watched this guy use a fountain pen, and he had the most beautiful handwriting, and could draw really well ...
Share with folks at the Filling station how to do something, or at the diner how to fix something in a house, or anything.

He could do math so fast in his head, and do big calculations on paper, in fountain pen.

Lots of Vets around this area, made a lot of folks sad to see him have to leave.

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2006, 11:09:54 AM »
Yep - what kind of tractor is that, Larry?

And, doesn't that leave you with another 25 acres remaining?  I wouldn't be surprised if you bought a few goats for that very purpose. . .
and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

"Diversity is our strength!"

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2006, 11:30:15 AM »
Trisha,

John Deere 1020, 39 hp three cylinder diesel, made in 1966, with a five foot brush hog.  It was to your left as you drove in, the one with the front-end loader.  

I used it at the get together to dig that little trench to drain the range.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2006, 11:44:01 AM »
Dan Flory had to hold me while I cried uncontrollably on the davenport
The fact that you have a part of your house called a davenport, know the word, and actually use it in casual conversation is a little frightening.

Besides...

A clean house is a sign of a sick mind.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

crt360

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2006, 01:29:54 PM »
What is a davenport?
For entertainment purposes only.

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2006, 01:37:12 PM »
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Davenport&x=24&y=14

Small porch, small writing desk, small sofa

Meaning...

El Tejon has a small writing desk set atop a small sofa, sitting on his small porch - no wonder he was tickled to get everything clean.

Tongue

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2006, 03:23:33 AM »
I didn't mow the lawn, cause I have an Anal-Retentive(only about her garden) wife who thinks I will mow it flat. So she mows it.  I did vacuum the floors on friday.
To busy celebrating my Son's 18th birthday and International Talk like a Pirate Day.
Brian
<><
:)