Author Topic: Inflation Rates  (Read 1920 times)

Waitone

• friend
Inflation Rates
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2006, 11:01:07 AM »
Governments lie, pure and simple.  The easiest way to perpetuate a lie is through statistics.  Create the measures you want to use to justify what you intended to do from the beginning.  I just love the concept of checks and balances.  It has a tendency to help slow down fraud and corruption.  Show me the checks and balances where the government creates and maintains the statistics (from BLS) and where the congress appropriates payments and increases taxes based on those statistics.

http://www.shadowstats.com/cgi-bin/sgs?   is an interesting site.  The author has birddogged government statistics for decades.  He has also created a primer on understanding government statistics.  Somewhere on the site is a PDF file of a report detailing how government has changed how 3 key statistics over the years.  Bottom line?  All presidents from Eisenhour to this day use statistics, manipulate statistics and know those statistics are suspect.

I spent several years in the econometric business for a food related company.  Rule one--The last place you go for economic statistics is anywhere but the government.  Here was a company who success or failure was based on 5 year forecast horizon and it refused to use government statistics.

A word to the sufficient is wise.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon