Author Topic: Vermeer's paintings: 350 year old color photographs?  (Read 2147 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Vermeer's paintings: 350 year old color photographs?
« on: June 12, 2014, 06:53:08 PM »
http://boingboing.net/2014/06/10/vermeers-paintings-might-be.html?utm_content=buffer4c3b0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This is a fascinating look at a guy who sought to figure out how Vermeer managed to paint in a way that should have been impossible. Amazing what a little obsession can accomplish.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Vermeer's paintings: 350 year old color photographs?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:44:37 PM »
Holy obsession, Batman!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:17:46 PM »
Interesting .....
But I wonder if any consideration has been given to the idea Vermeer might simply have been a very talented artist with an unusual "perspective" on the world.   
One can also point out how unusual Van Gogh was .... or that he had an eye disorder that lent him a bizarre talent .... [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 11:48:36 PM »
This is what happens when one has enough tools, knowledge and resources and too much time.  :O

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 12:54:45 AM »
I have negative art talent.

But I occasionally used to put a B&W portrait negative in my enlarger and project it onto a plain sheet of paper (not photographic paper).  Then I'd take a soft pencil and  darken in the light areas with the pencil until the sheet of paper was more or less uniformly gray.   These penciled-in portraits (while not photographic) looked like excellent hand-done pencil drawings.

Nothing near Vermeer, of course, and in black-and-white, but people who saw these pencil sketches thought I was a great artiste until I told them how I'd done it.

But I really have no or less-than-no art talent otherwise.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 03:17:27 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 10:46:28 AM »
ART mit Science!
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 12:06:52 PM »
Interesting .....
But I wonder if any consideration has been given to the idea Vermeer might simply have been a very talented artist with an unusual "perspective" on the world.  
One can also point out how unusual Van Gogh was .... or that he had an eye disorder that lent him a bizarre talent .... [popcorn]

In any case, he was some sort of genius.

Either he had an unusual perspective that let him see things as a camera does, OR he was brilliant enough to create another perspective (that no one else has ever thought of).

Impressive in both cases. (Though I'd be more impressed by the latter.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »
I guess this has nothing to do with ditch diggers  ???

;/

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 03:54:22 PM »
Just how new does anybody think the camera obscura is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura
The first surviving mention of some of the principles behind the pinhole camera or camera obscura belongs to Mozi (470 to 390 BCE), a Chinese philosopher and the founder of Mohism. Mozi correctly asserted that the image in a camera obscura is flipped upside down because light travels in straight lines from its source. His disciples developed this into a minor theory of optics.[2][note 1]
Camera obscura, from a manuscript of military designs. 17th century, possibly Italian.
The 17th century Dutch Masters, such as Johannes Vermeer, were known for their magnificent attention to detail. It has been widely speculated that they made use of such a camera, but the extent of their use by artists at this period remains a matter of considerable controversy, recently revived by the Hockney–Falco thesis.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 03:58:20 PM »
Just how new does anybody think the camera obscura is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura
stay safe.

Someone didn't read the article.

It's common knowledge that you can trace the images projected on the screen of a camera obscura, which is basically a black box with a lens mounted on one side. This helps you get the size and shapes of things established on the canvas. Intuitively it seems that you could paint colors right on the projected image and get a photoreal result.

In fact, this does not work. If you try it, you'll see why. The light projected by the lens obscures the color of the paint you are applying to the canvas. It makes the paint look too dark and too colorful. You must constantly turn on the light to see what color you have actually painted. There is simply no way to accurately compare the paint color to the projection. They interfere with each other.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »
I'm confused. Why couldn't he of have just set up the scene, and painted it? ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 06:29:55 PM »
The kids loved it when I covered the front window with Al foil except for a 1in hole.  The street scene, in full color, with cars passing by, appeared on the opposite wall.  Upside-down, of course.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 07:14:32 PM »
Someone didn't read the article.

And yet I know folks who place a sheet of white paper to cover the painted part to check color/tint as they go from sketching in the basic framework to the completed scene.  I'm pretty sure they did not "invent" that technique in the last 25 years.

Again - the issue seems to be that nobody is sure if he did or did not, or if he did just how he did it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 07:26:48 PM »
*raises hand*

We don't know what the scenes and subjects actually looked like, so how do we know they were photographic in quality?

Couldn't Vemeer just said "well, when I look at a wall, it's not all uniform in color, texture and the way light hits it, so why don't I fiddle with this paint until the wall on my painting looks real?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 07:31:04 PM »
This seems relevant.

http://www.dose.com/lists/2739/These-21-Pictures-Are-Not-What-You-Think-They-Will-Blow-Your-Mind

In the national art museam in DC is (was? IDK if it's still there or still on display) a black and white ink "drawing" of an old woman that looks like a black and white photoghraph. It's all fingerprints.

I have a postcard print of it, but you can't see the fingerprints on the little postcard. The real thing will blow your mind.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 03:28:51 AM »
A little more modern (1935), but this one always fascinated me:

http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/Collection/art-object-page.47949.html

On the other hand, Jackson Pollock's "Number 5" always repelled me... mainly because I could do better even though I have art talent in the negative region.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 03:35:35 AM by 230RN »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 08:58:37 PM »
I guess this has nothing to do with ditch diggers  ???

;/

=D

Stump
Pencil grinders.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 10:26:46 PM »
Couldn't Vemeer just said "well, when I look at a wall, it's not all uniform in color, texture and the way light hits it, so why don't I fiddle with this paint until the wall on my painting looks real?

Because a normal human brain gets in the way with preprocessing.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 12:49:05 AM »
Because a normal human brain gets in the way with preprocessing.

What about an abnormal human brain?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 01:31:02 AM »
^
Nyuck-nyuck-nyuck.  :rofl:

"Abnormal" human brains are arguably the cause of most of human progress.  (Yes, and problems, as well.)

Terry
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 01:35:15 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 09:23:53 AM »
That guy certainly went all in, but I'm just not understanding how the mirror on the stick worked...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 09:30:03 AM »
Oh, he just got stuck on the idea that what Vermeer did "should have been impossible" and failed to examine that underlying premise.

It was possible, given the later examples noted above  --see link in Harold Tuttle's Reply #16 --without gadgetry beyond an artists' thumb for sizing.

It probably just takes a good eye and attention to detail... he probably would have made a world class rifle shot nowadays.  :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:38:13 AM by 230RN »