Author Topic: Weird random primer strikes.  (Read 1563 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Weird random primer strikes.
« on: July 05, 2014, 07:41:39 PM »
On my .380 Mauser HSC I sometimes get these deep primer strikes.
What they normally look like,

What they sometimes, but not very often, look like,

Couldn't get a good lighting on the picture but it doesn't go all the way through, but it is deeper than normal and it looks like the primer has been flattened. Also, you can't see it because it is turned but on the rim there is a sliver of a section that looks like it has been shaved off, that's on the same side as where the primer looks flattened up.

???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Weird random primer strikes.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »
If you're reloading your own you may be making them too hot. That being said I had a LOT of trouble with some winchester .22 LR recently and I hear their QC hasn't been the best lately. You might try another manufacturer and see if it solves the problem.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 08:05:58 PM »
Haven't started learning to reload yet so it's not that. If I remember correctly I have only seen it with the Winchester rounds.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 08:24:15 PM »
Flattened and extruded primers.  Prima fascie evidence of overpressure.  Bad juju, and you seem to have a whole box of it.

Check the mfg web site and make sure your lot of shells wasn't subject to a recall.  At the very least give them a call, or better yet an email with oics, to let them know.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 08:42:45 PM »
Haven't started learning to reload yet so it's not that. If I remember correctly I have only seen it with the Winchester rounds.
Well, who did reload these?  The headstamps appear to be mixed.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 08:48:29 PM »
Actually looking back through my saved brass I think it was only that one .380 Winchester case that had the deep puncture. What I was remembering was a box of Hornady .303 that a bunch had deep primer punctures, they both have yellow primers which is why I thought it was the .380.

Well, who did reload these?  The headstamps appear to be mixed.

It's a mix of two boxes I shot. I shot a box of Winchester and a box of UMC.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 09:01:27 PM »
Winchester is known for their soft primers.  Even if that is true, something is still wrong with those.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »

But are they reloads, as in someone else, or commercial reloads?   (I'm guessing not, as all those I can make out have the same headstamp.)

The normal ones look high pressure too, just not flattened out like the one.

At the very least give them a call, or better yet an email with oics, to let them know.

Send these pictures to them when you call.  They'll also be interested in lot number information, which would be on the box somewhere.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 09:46:01 PM »
But are they reloads, as in someone else, or commercial reloads?   (I'm guessing not, as all those I can make out have the same headstamp.)

The normal ones look high pressure too, just not flattened out like the one.

Send these pictures to them when you call.  They'll also be interested in lot number information, which would be on the box somewhere.

Store bought. The ones with yellow primers are Winchester white box and silver primers are Remington UMC. I just have them mixed together in the picture.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »
Try a  diffdrent lot of primers. I once had a pack of primers that would keep puncturing primets on some relatively moddrate .308 loads.  I switched lots and changed the firing pin(it was burned and had sharp edges), problem went away.

Definately check your firing pin, make sure its smooth with no burs.  You don't want to puncture anymore primiers for obvioys reasons, but also because you firing pin and later, the firing pin hole will be flame cut, which makes the problem worse and worse.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 10:28:22 PM »
The "normal" ones look like there may be some flow into the firing pin hole of the breech face. Possible to get the chamber spec checked on your gun, perhaps something is undersized in there causing excessive pressure?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 11:20:58 PM »
Looks like high pressure loads because of the flattening. Check the boar for leading if it is factory ammo.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 12:13:40 AM »
Here is the firing pin for the HSC,

Doesn't seem to be damaged.

The firing pin on the Enfield on the other hand does look damaged,

=(

I've never taken the HSC apart this far so at least it got a really good cleaning out of this, :D

Looks like high pressure loads because of the flattening. Check the boar for leading if it is factory ammo.

Leading against the grooves in the barrel?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 12:31:39 AM »
Check the boar for leading

I have leaded many boars. Sows too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 01:49:30 AM »
Ditto on the high pressure signs. If I had reloads doing that I would end up pulling the whole batch.

Something ain't right. Out of spec chamber, excessive fouling in the chamber throat area. Needs to be checked out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 02:08:24 AM »
How could the chamber cause excessive pressure?
Anything specific I should look for?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 04:57:11 AM »
Anything specific I should look for?

Yep, a competent gunsmith.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 11:24:28 AM »
Someone recently told me that winchester had a recall for using incorrect powder in some rounds. Can't remember the specifics unfortunately.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 11:55:07 AM »
Is all the brass sooty up the sides like that?

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 01:22:40 PM »
Do other brands of factory loaded .380, after being fired, have primers that look like either of the two pictures you posted?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 03:15:45 PM »
Is all the brass sooty up the sides like that?

Most are clean but some do have a little bit of sootiness running down about a quarter of the side.
Also the one with the deep primer strike actually does go all the way through. I can hold it up to the light and see through part of it.

Do other brands of factory loaded .380, after being fired, have primers that look like either of the two pictures you posted?

I've only put Winchester and UMC through it.

Looking around online I found this where someone posted up pictures of a .380 doing the same thing as the first picture, http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460416 The OP also mentions light primer strikes/failure to fires bit I haven't had that issue. He was also using the same two companies of ammo I am using.
Interesting. Doing a little reading on primer "blanking" and it sounds like one possibility is a week spring.
The second picture one seems to be the only one that did that. Don't know 100% as I hadn't collected all the .380 brass after shooting at the range.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:23:11 PM by freakazoid »

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460416

From that thread

It can result in brass shavings ending up in the firing pin tunnel.

This can slow the firing pin enough to cause misfires.

A known issue with the PF9, that that thread was about. 

Which gets a little far afield from the original problem here, but suggests it might be good to go over it, cleaning all the nooks and crannies, and replacing some springs.  The Mauser's hammer fired?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 03:58:37 PM »
Which gets a little far afield from the original problem here, but suggests it might be good to go over it, cleaning all the nooks and crannies, and replacing some springs.  The Mauser's hammer fired?

Hammer fired yes. After I pulled the firing pin out I ended up cleaning everything since I've never took it that far apart. Was dirty.
Need to see if cleaning it did the trick.
I wonder if the funny looking end has anything to do with it. The firing pin channel is as wide as the bulb at the end which means that the part that actually strikes the primer is thinner than the channel. Maybe the primer is just fitting around it until it reaches the bulb?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »
As kthers mentioned, get headspace checked. Those dont look like high pressure primers to me, more like excessive headspace... upun firing, the primer will back out, flow around the firing pin, then be squished flat again.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 06:46:47 PM »
Maybe the primer is just fitting around it until it reaches the bulb?

shouldn't be flowing that much, though.