Author Topic: What caliber for bees?  (Read 2224 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What caliber for bees?
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:57:45 AM »
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/rolled-semi-spills-load-of-bees-at-the-i-5-and-i-405-interchange/

This is a trick question.  You use foam.  When I drove by, the fire department was covering the remaining mass of bees with foam.  The local radio station was saying that after recovering as many bees as possible, they had to kill the rest in order to recover the semi.  The bees were stinging the responding beekeepers, fire and police.  They were advising people driving through the area to keep the windows rolled up.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: What caliber for bees?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:11:07 AM »
BB's?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:39:35 AM »
Fire.  The correct response is....fire.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:57:01 AM »
#12 shot works well on wasps.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 12:03:26 PM »
#12 shot works well on wasps.
Yup.  Will take down aggressive, in your face carpenter bees too.  No mayday call, no trailing smoke and trying to get the crew out before it augers in.  Just DRT in mid flap.  Hit the ground and bounced, I'm telling ya.  God bless the CCI .22 shot cap and the Smith and Wesson kit gun. >:D
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 12:09:14 PM »
This is a simple question. A .22 revolver, preferably a K22 with birdshot. works like a champ on carpenter bees. ;)

Bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 12:15:39 PM »

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 12:21:47 PM »
 :facepalm:  Dust off and nuke 'em from orbit --- it's the only way to be sure. [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »
Yup.  Will take down aggressive, in your face carpenter bees too.  No mayday call, no trailing smoke and trying to get the crew out before it augers in.  Just DRT in mid flap.  Hit the ground and bounced, I'm telling ya.  God bless the CCI .22 shot cap and the Smith and Wesson kit gun. >:D

If you can still find the 12ga #12 shells, they're perfect for removing paper wasp nests from places where you don't care too much about the surroundings.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 05:58:22 PM »
CCI Stinger.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 06:01:06 PM »
Oh god a 22 pistol with snake shot that sounds freaking good time shooting wasps and stuff down.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »
If you can still find the 12ga #12 shells, they're perfect for removing paper wasp nests from places where you don't care too much about the surroundings.

Who was it that had the paper wasp nest that filled their shed?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 06:40:16 PM »
Who was it that had the paper wasp nest that filled their shed?

I've seen one that filled an old microwave box.  Fortunately I didn't see it until after the tech had thoroughly soaked it with Wasp Freeze or I would have been tempted to go for a less environmentally friendly kill method.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
My father shot wasps with a BB gun. I wouldn't believe it, had I not seen it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 08:23:43 PM »
I am so disappointed in the hive mind.

The proper cartridge for bees is:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_Ackley_Bee
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 12:43:38 AM »

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 03:34:36 AM »
fistful remarked, "My father shot wasps with a BB gun. I wouldn't believe it, had I not seen it."

My brother and I used to shoot wasps with our BB guns in our Long Island house before it was inside-finished.  Outside, we shot locusts.

When I lived in Denver, it so happened that the city contractors had to take down a tree by the sidewalk outside my living room window.  There was a pretty big crew, and when it finally fell into the street, "billions and billions" of bees erupted.  It was really funny watching them scoot to their trucks, swatting and waving and slapping at them.  

Slapstick comedy.  

No pun.

Terry
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:09:47 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 08:31:12 AM »
.218 Bee
7-11 was a part time job.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 10:11:13 AM »
Would a 16" round from a naval rifle work?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 11:08:46 PM »
I'll see your bees and raise you a killer cricket.

I'm betting that is a .22 but would not be at all surprised to find out it was a .30-30.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 11:18:23 PM »
I'll see your bees and raise you a killer cricket.

I'm betting that is a .22 but would not be at all surprised to find out it was a .30-30.

stay safe.

Jeet Seezus!  Nightmares!  Time to werf some flippin' flammen on that hell spawned demon from the Pit.  Pleeeeeeeze tell me how that was carefully photoshopped.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 12:09:30 AM »
Jeet Seezus!  Nightmares!  Time to werf some flippin' flammen on that hell spawned demon from the Pit.  Pleeeeeeeze tell me how that was carefully photoshopped.

My source swears on a stack of Blue Book of Gun Values it is not shopped but an original 1937 photo.

On the other hand - http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/10-more-viral-photos-that-are-actually-fake-1531869656

Is this scary enough?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUFNo8kHsXo

stay safe.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 01:01:20 PM »
fistful remarked, "My father shot wasps with a BB gun. I wouldn't believe it, had I not seen it."

My brother and I used to shoot wasps with our BB guns in our Long Island house before it was inside-finished.  Outside, we shot locusts.

Yup; a one-pump Daisy that holds a buttload of BBs can be hours of fun when the grasshoppers are swarming.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »
Shame- I love bees. Love working around them in the garden- never been stung by a honey bee- now wasps and hornets- that is a different story.