Author Topic: Help unwrapping some tinfoil  (Read 2219 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Help unwrapping some tinfoil
« on: June 13, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »
Shiny side in?
What's the gear mounted on these trucks?
https://www.intellihub.com/photos-highly-suspicious-saudi-civil-defense-trucks-spotted-on-texas-highway/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Triphammer

• friend
Re: Help unwrapping some tinfoil
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 02:37:55 PM »
Area lighting on pneumatic masts.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 02:45:51 PM »
What he said./\

Not much to go on but probably some Arab with more money than sense ordered them form some US firm and they are en route to the sand box to light up an oil field somewhere.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 03:22:13 PM »
Those say "Rosenbauer" on the side.  Which is an american firm  that makes fire trucks and other response vehicles. 

And those scary trucks have big lights on them.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 03:36:17 PM »
Thank you very much. I will have fun with this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 03:51:21 PM »
They are used to light up chainlink prison yards at walmarts FEMA concentration camps.  >:D

:rofl:

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 03:57:22 PM »
Is there a shortage of personnel?  Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just have someone drive the trucks?  How much does it cost to hire a flatbed? 

Look like big light towers with generators.  Most I see in chemical plants are on a trailer, not a truck.  These are a little bigger than most though.  I have never noticed arabic writing on industrial equipment in Texas before.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »
If you drive them you have to title, register &  insure them. Put them on a flatbed & the trucking company is responsible till they're off loaded. Plus you're not paying multiple drivers that need to be brought, flown, bussed back to point of origin. We (company I work for) figure this every time we need to get equipment a couple, few multiple states away. Sometimes it is cheaper to have local personnel drive, most times not.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »
Not many auto manufacturers in Saudi,  lights on masts, probably for emergency response at an airport, headed down to Houston to be loaded on a ship and sent to the sandbox.

And yes, it it  cheaper to have ONE driver flatbed TWO trucks to the dock.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 04:15:29 PM »
Not to mention the guy receiving his brand new truck might not want a thousand miles on the odometer.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »
Not to mention the guy receiving his brand new truck might not want a thousand miles on the odometer.

Also less likely to get any chips in the paint or cracked windshields that would be an expensive pain in the keister to fix before shipping out.

They're just emergency lighting trucks, any fire department of sufficient size and rich enough(which applies to the Saudies rather well), should have some hanging around.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:02:59 PM by Firethorn »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 07:44:26 PM »
The tinfoilers are *expletive deleted*ing morons.

I'm guessing they are incident command/support trucks. Big scene lights, probably computers, radios, accountability boards, etc in the compartments, and so on.

We had our heavy rescue support truck set up to also perform incident command functions. Basically was a mobile office for the incident commander along with the heavy rescue stuff and cascade system to fill the air tanks. It had a light tower too.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 05:25:37 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 05:24:12 PM »
The site referenced in the article, "All News Pipeline," is a damned-by-God cluster coitus of a miserable tin-foil hat failure.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 09:32:12 PM »
Might be a little more tin foiley if they were not US built trucks.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 10:25:17 PM »
How do these people afford all that tinfoil? Seriously, they must go through pallets of the stuff.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »
Not much to go on but probably some Arab with more money than sense ordered them form some US firm and they are en route to the sand box to light up an oil field somewhere.

Yup.  Lots of places in TX do specialty industrial trucks.  Don't see any Rosenbauer addresses that aren't a heck of a lot closer to other ports, but not unlikely that they would contract with one of the shops here that do primarily oilfield support and brush fire vehicles.  Those deal with a lot of terrain and environmental conditions pretty similar to what the Saudis are likely to want these to operate in.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »
Yup.  Lots of places in TX do specialty industrial trucks.  Don't see any Rosenbauer addresses that aren't a heck of a lot closer to other ports, but not unlikely that they would contract with one of the shops here that do primarily oilfield support and brush fire vehicles.  Those deal with a lot of terrain and environmental conditions pretty similar to what the Saudis are likely to want these to operate in.

I'd say that 'proximity to a port' is probably less important than 'close to suppliers' and 'factory set up to build the contracted vehicles'.  Shipping is cheap, after all, even before you hit the port.

There's another factor as well.  The Saudis, due to population growth and what not, are opening a couple hundred new fire stations and emergency response centers.  They ordered over a thousand vehicles.  It's the largest order Rosenbauer has ever received. 

Now, these trucks may not be part of that contract, but it could very much be a 'all hands on deck' type deal where 'how close it is to a port' is a minority concern compared to 'where do we have factory space to build all this stuff?'

Heck, the article mentions that 506 of the vehicles are going to be built in South Dakota, to which I ask:  How much further from a port can you get?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
Heck, the article mentions that 506 of the vehicles are going to be built in South Dakota, to which I ask:  How much further from a port can you get?

Two words; Lake Superior.  Still not real close, but a heck of a lot closer to SD than Houston is, and 506 trucks is nothing compared to some of the loads that travel the Great Lakes.  Seawaymax is small compared to open ocean sizes, but still a pretty darn big boat.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 04:34:21 PM »
Two words; Lake Superior.  Still not real close, but a heck of a lot closer to SD than Houston is, and 506 trucks is nothing compared to some of the loads that travel the Great Lakes.  Seawaymax is small compared to open ocean sizes, but still a pretty darn big boat.

Overseas shipping isn't always that logical.  It kinda depends on what is going where ant any time.  When I was working Theater Logistics it was often cheaper to ship trucks overland hundreds of miles to catch a ship that had room, or was going the right way.  I have shipped things from FL (Past Port Canaveral, Tampa, and Jacksonville) to Savannah because it was cheaper.

There might have been room on a car carrier down on the Gulf that was going the right way.  

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 05:34:54 PM »
Overseas shipping isn't always that logical.  It kinda depends on what is going where ant any time.  When I was working Theater Logistics it was often cheaper to ship trucks overland hundreds of miles to catch a ship that had room, or was going the right way.  I have shipped things from FL (Past Port Canaveral, Tampa, and Jacksonville) to Savannah because it was cheaper.

Not sure what the capacity (in trucks of that size) of a typical Seawaymax that's also capable of getting to Saudi Arabia would be, but I would think that 560 of them would be enough for 1-2 full loads, especially if they're not able to be containerized or otherwise made stackable.

Then again, maybe the capacity is 550 or so, and they had some LTL leftovers.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 05:36:51 PM »
I'm guessing the 560 are being shipped as they are completed instead of being held for one massive shipment.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »
The "typical" Seawaymax is a container or bulk carrier so it's capacity for those trucks is zero.

There might be a RO/RO on the great lakes that is willing to go to the mideast.  Or a mixed cargo breakbulk carrier.  I'm not saying they couldn't, I'm saying, as a guy that has actually had to get contracts to ship trucks to the mideast it's easier and cheaper to use one of the ports that has ships going there already.  Those ports are Savannah, LA, and Houston.  And that the overland parts that seem weird are the least expensive, and most flexible parts of the trip.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 05:55:59 PM »
There might be a RO/RO on the great lakes that is willing to go to the mideast.  Or a mixed cargo breakbulk carrier.  I'm not saying they couldn't, I'm saying, as a guy that has actually had to get contracts to ship trucks to the mideast it's easier and cheaper to use one of the ports that has ships going there already.  Those ports are Savannah, LA, and Houston.  And that the overland parts that seem weird are the least expensive, and most flexible parts of the trip.

Of course, the logical solution is to buy some cheap land in a rural part of the deep South and build your plant there, rather than on the other side of Kansas from any ocean.

Then again, if common sense figured into corporate decisions, the only companies that would do anything in California are the ones that actually need direct access to the Pacific.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 05:59:35 PM »
Of course, the logical solution is to buy some cheap land in a rural part of the deep South and build your plant there, rather than on the other side of Kansas from any ocean.

I'm guessing Rosenbaur's market is mostly American, hence overseas shipment probably isn't a major concern.

And when they do have overseas shipments necessary, shipping to a port is no big deal.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 06:57:17 PM »
How do these people afford all that tinfoil? Seriously, they must go through pallets of the stuff.

Recycle, recycle, recycle...  Probably wear used jiffy pop tins on their heads.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536