Author Topic: EARTHQUAKE!  (Read 2830 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
EARTHQUAKE!
« on: November 07, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »
Oklahoma experienced another 5.0 quake Sunday evening.
Fairly extensive Damage in the town of Cushing, no reports of serious injuries that I've heard yet.
I was asleep for this one.

http://www.news9.com/story/33643539/53-magnitude-earthquake-rattles-residents-across-the-state

We had another one last week, I happened to be sitting at my desk when it hit and I felt it.

Supposedly the "experts" are sure that all these quakes are due to waste water injection wells.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: EARTHQUAKE!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:20:09 AM »
Was heading home when I found out.  Called my son in Tulsa and he said all is well there at least.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:36:09 AM »
OK has just as high or higher earthquake risk as CA. I don't know if I believe the fracking/water injection theory or not. It sounds too much like global warming to me. OK is loaded with faults and they haven't done much in a very long time, maybe it is time. Down by Meers, OK was where I saw my first seismograph as a kid and since then I figured OK must be prone to earthquakes, it just took a few decades to realize that feeling. This was a fairly shallow one also, about 3 miles deep, so thankfully is was only a 5.0, much more could have cause much more damage. All in all, this one being limited to property damage was a good thing. It may also get people to earthquake proof their homes to limit damage, you know little things like strapping down your hot water heater.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 09:42:49 AM »
... you know little things like strapping down your hot water heater.

???

Why would people need a device to heat hot water? Seems redundant to me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 02:36:07 PM »
As I've said before in relation to the quakes supposedly caused by water injection at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal...  I'd rather they lubed them up with wastewater so we got a bunch of little stress-relievers instead of one big one.

I thought I felt something recently but I was too tired to make a note of the time and date.  Could have been one of our own, or just someone slamming a door.

FYI
http://cdn.phys.org/newman/gfx/news/hires/2015/nearlyhalfof.jpg

Enlageable, scrollable.  Just click the map.

Looking at the whole map, it seems odd that a lot of seismic activity seems to be around population areas.  Correlation, causation, coincidence, extraneous geographic variables, more sensors at those points?  No real relationship?

Terry
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:00:21 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 03:04:47 PM »
I felt it in Lawton.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 03:55:25 PM »
I felt it in Lawton.

Well being there you have to be told it was an earthquake so you don't think it is the normal routine from FT Sill.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 05:46:38 PM »
I felt it in Lawton.

I'm sorry, not that you felt the earthquake but that you are in Lawton. :(

bob

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 10:59:46 PM »
Well being there you have to be told it was an earthquake so you don't think it is the normal routine from FT Sill.

This is the 3rd earthquake i felt in Lawton. Alaska has earthquakes too, the first one, i felt freaked me out.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 11:30:12 PM »
When I was stationed at Moffett Field CA (Santa Clara area) about the only ones I noticed were at night. The handles on the dresser would rattle, it almost got to the point you could tell how big it was by the noise and length of rattle. It had to get around 4.0+ to really notice during the day while doing things. At that time Morgan Hill seemed to be earthquake central.

As far as Ft Sill, they have really toned down since the 60's. Growing up I remember the windows rattling a lot. At that time they still had 8" self propelled howitzers along with the 105s blasting all day and night.

When I went back for a few years in the late 90's I don't recall hardly any ground shakers from the artillery going off.

bob

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 11:59:57 PM »
When I went back for a few years in the late 90's I don't recall hardly any ground shakers from the artillery going off.

Honestly, the Army budget got cut, so training time and ammo got cut. I was told, we will not have rounds for AT training.  ( are 2 week training )

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 05:45:19 AM »
I've felt two earthquakes in Northern Virginia.

First one was 2008. It didn't feel like an earthquake. I thought someone had tipped over a server rack on the second floor of our building, then someone said that it was being reported as blasting in the area. It was only later that we found out it was an earthquake.

The one in 2011 was a LOT different, a lot stronger. The first wave hit and I thought that someone had driven a truck into the building. When the second wave hit, it was very clear what it was. Most unsettling feeling I've ever experienced.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 08:24:01 AM »
Honestly, the Army budget got cut, so training time and ammo got cut. I was told, we will not have rounds for AT training.  ( are 2 week training )

What unit are you with?  I know arty rounds are more expensive but we just had 14K rounds of 5.56 we were told we had to burn up on a qual range this past weekend.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 08:33:36 AM »
Right now i'm with 158 HHB. But i I volunteered to go the Ukraine, waiting for a answer.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 11:38:44 AM »
Right now i'm with 158 HHB. But i I volunteered to go the Ukraine, waiting for a answer.

Sending you a PM.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 01:59:40 PM »
OK has just as high or higher earthquake risk as CA. I don't know if I believe the fracking/water injection theory or not. It sounds too much like global warming to me. OK is loaded with faults and they haven't done much in a very long time, maybe it is time. Down by Meers, OK was where I saw my first seismograph as a kid and since then I figured OK must be prone to earthquakes, it just took a few decades to realize that feeling. This was a fairly shallow one also, about 3 miles deep, so thankfully is was only a 5.0, much more could have cause much more damage. All in all, this one being limited to property damage was a good thing. It may also get people to earthquake proof their homes to limit damage, you know little things like strapping down your hot water heater.

bob

Yep. The Meers Fault. I've drilled in Oklahoma off and on for 15 years. It riddled with fault lines. Some that are now deciding to wake up.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 09:13:17 PM »
Earthquakes in New Zealand and Argentina.

Do you suppose Trump's election upset Mother Gaia? [Or woke Cthulhu?]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:34:45 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »
Pretty nasty shake up in NZ. Lot of damage. Haven't heard numbers on casualties yet.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 09:06:14 PM »
I was searching around for cctv videos of the Nepal earthquakes in April and May of 2005.

There are a lot of them.  This one was particularly intriguing:

https://youtu.be/gno_XWS0xZI

From the blue curtains/tarpaulins, it looks like somebody was still trying to live in the building.

I'm sure there are a thousand stories in each vid.  Most show traffic stopping, people running into the middle of the street, sometimes buildings and statues falling, sometimes people falling.

Terry

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 10:30:35 AM »
Excellent graphical displays of plate movements, subduction, and tsunami generation in this one about the Great Alaskan Earthquake of 1964.

Less than 7 minutes long.

https://youtu.be/ySudEgY8KAo

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 11:31:01 PM »
Excellent graphical displays of plate movements, subduction, and tsunami generation in this one about the Great Alaskan Earthquake of 1964.

Less than 7 minutes long.

https://youtu.be/ySudEgY8KAo

Very interesting!
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 11:36:48 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 11:54:09 PM »
Pretty nasty shake up in NZ. Lot of damage. Haven't heard numbers on casualties yet.

All my friends down there were OK.  Apparently most of the damage was not in Chch, even though the epicenter was pretty close, and it was a huge quake.  My host-dad said it went on for 4.5 minutes.
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 02:01:47 PM »
sumpnz mentioned:

Apparently most of the damage was not in Chch, even though the epicenter was pretty close.

Seismic risk and seismic hazard are two different things, though related.

Seismic Risk = Seismic Hazard × Vulnerability

"Vulnerability" can mean whether you are situated on a squishy clay bed versus bedrock, or living in a little grass shack versus a tall brick building.  If the former falls on top of you, no big deal.  If the latter falls on top of you...

Seismic hazard and seismic risk are fundamentally different. Seismic hazard is a natural phenomenon such as ground shaking, fault rupture, or soil liquefaction that is generated by an earthquake, whereas seismic risk is the probability that humans will incur loss or damage to their built environment if they are exposed to a seismic hazard.
http://www.seismosoc.org/Publications/SRL/SRL_80/srl_80-5_op.html

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 04:47:35 PM »
Chch was heavily damaged in the 2011 quakes.  They just got lucky this time.
Formerly sumpnz