Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy S9 inbound  (Read 2634 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Samsung Galaxy S9 inbound
« on: October 10, 2018, 11:51:25 AM »
My ZTE Axon 7 is getting long in the tooth and I am increasingly unhappy with the worsening performance of the phone.  After doing some research, it came down to the LG G7 ThinQ or the Samsung Galaxy S9.  I had been holding off to wait and see the new Google Pixel 3, but I just cannot see paying $ 800 for the base model.  Amazon sells the 64 GB black Galaxy S9 for $ 620, and that was as good a price as I could find, with the added bonus of more points on the Amazon credit card.  This is for the unlocked version, good for GSM and CDMA US carriers, and has a US warranty.  I will initially switch my Cricket SIM card into it, while my wife looks into adding it to her Verizon plan.  Verizon has much better service in this area than does AT&T/Cricket, and she thinks she can get some sort of family plan or discount.  I wanted to have the option of a phone that I could switch between Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and their resellers as needed.

This will be my first Samsung phone, but the people I know who have that brand seem to like them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 inbound
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 12:00:36 PM »
There were a couple of things I had to get used to on mine, but I love it now. I also have the unlocked version. It's my first unlocked phone and I like it way better than the more expensive Verizon version with the bloat.

I really like the updated menu over my S5, and certainly appreciate all the extra onboard storage. I also really like the device maintenance menu in settings. Also Smart Unlock. Though I will say Smart Unlock by location is a bit twitchy. It often decides that I'm not where I say I am. "By device" is more robust, and now that I'm wearing a fitness watch all the time, I have the phone tied to the watch, so never have to unlock it when it's on me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 12:01:26 PM »
I loved my S4. Absolutely incredible phone.

I also loved my S9...

Until August 24, when Samsung pushed out a new firmware update. Since then it's been issue after issue. All small, but the most vexing is the fact that randomly, different areas of the touch screen will simply go dead. I have to sleep the phone then unsleep it to wake up those areas.

I've not been able to find anyone with similar problems, and of course Verizon shuts down Samsung's internal, and FAR more useful, diagnostics.

I'm trying to put off a factory reset, but I'm afraid that that's in my future.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 12:05:26 PM »
I've had an S9+ for a month or two now. It was a big (literally) upgrade from my old phone - this thing is enormous. Battery life is fantastic and the camera is excellent (not compared to my DSLR obviously but compared to previous phones). About the only thing I don't like about it is that it's too big for me to use very well one handed for certain tasks. Right away I got a Spigen case and a tempered glass screen protector that I'm happy with for now - down the road a year or two I will take them off and use it naked. I also got the Samsung wireless charger and had intended to use it to charge the phone overnight but I don't care for the fan noise & led light on my nightstand so I charge while I'm my desk at work and that's been working fine.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 12:06:44 PM »
Mike, was it the Samsung update or a Verizon update? I know on my S5, there were at least two occasions when it updated and got glitchy and it turned out (from perusing the Android forums) it was the Verizon version of the update. As I recall, they actually had to quickly put a fix out each time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 12:11:33 PM »
About the only thing I don't like about it is that it's too big for me to use very well one handed for certain tasks.

On the smaller S9, my problem was that the thing is as slippery as a greased fish when naked, and the first couple of days it kept slipping out of my hands. When my Otterbox Defender case came, it made it a little bigger and with the rubber, much easier to firmly hold.

I guess a lot of people are not using cases or screen protectors at all on the S9. I went with the IQ shield because I liked it on my old phones and it's pretty easy to install. Other than on the S9 curved screen, I still have one little bubble, but it's on the lower right corner, so not bothersome.

How do you like that tempered glass protector? I was looking at those but didn't want to commit yet.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 12:15:18 PM »
I have the S9+ and so far am loving it. Lots of storage, nice camera (better than my old DSLR), battery is good for nearly all day (at least 12-14 hours). I have a tempered glass protector on mine, much better than the vinyl ones I have used in the past. If big isn't an issue I would also look at the Note 9.

bob

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 12:19:47 PM »
How do you like that tempered glass protector? I was looking at those but didn't want to commit yet.

I think it does a good job, I've dropped and banged the phone a bit and so far it's still in fine condition. Application was easy and it seems stuck on there pretty good, although it hasn't been on there for that long. I don't think touch sensitivity is affected, but I pretty much never used it without the protector so it's hard for me to say. I suspect it does take away a little bit from how nice, bright & crisp the screen on this phone is but again, I don't have much to compare it too. I don't like the little cutouts at the top around microphone & camera & stuff, they are visually unappealing but necessary I suppose.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 12:33:17 PM »
I put a wallet-style case on all my smartphones because I do inevitably drop them and I carry them in a Nite-Ize holster.  I forego the screen protector because of the case and holster.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 12:41:13 PM »
Mike, was it the Samsung update or a Verizon update? I know on my S5, there were at least two occasions when it updated and got glitchy and it turned out (from perusing the Android forums) it was the Verizon version of the update. As I recall, they actually had to quickly put a fix out each time.

Well, since it said Samsung will update your phone... I'm assuming it wasn't a Verizon push.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 12:59:20 PM »

Well, since it said Samsung will update your phone... I'm assuming it wasn't a Verizon push.

I can't remember for sure anymore, but I think they all say that. IIRC, Samsung works with the providers to (supposedly) ensure that the update will work with whatever stuff the provider puts on their phones. That's why sometimes after an update, you can see complaints about phones from some providers, while others will have different, or no issues.

Maybe some brainiac here can verify.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 01:19:46 PM »
I really like my S9.

My only complaint at all is that sometimes, randomly, it decide not to allow me to unlock via biometrics, and makes me type the whole password in.  Pretty minor niggle in the grand scheme of things.

I'm considering pairing it with a smart watch this fall.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 01:27:42 PM »
I'm considering pairing it with a smart watch this fall.

I've really come to like the phone-watch pairing. I've had to pull my phone out of my pocket, or walk to wherever I laid it, about a bajillion less times now that I can just look at my watch to see a text message or email subject and decide if it's important enough to get to the phone or wait.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 01:37:03 PM »
My only complaint at all is that sometimes, randomly, it decide not to allow me to unlock via biometrics, and makes me type the whole password in. 

Mine does the same thing, I didn't think it was random but an "extra" security thing where different authentication is required periodically.
Kind of related info to keep in mind: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/10/face-recognition-iphone-unlock-police-force/572353/

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 10:05:02 PM »
Recently upgraded to the S9+, from the S6 Edge. Really like it. Really like the camera as it's noticeably better than my old phone. Only real complaint is the button below the volume button activates something called Bixby, which I think is supposed to be a Samsung assistant. Super annoying location as every time I go to turn the phone on, due to the way I grip and press, I also hit that button. I really need to look into how to deactivate that button if I can. I need to get a case and screen protector still. Had one for the S6 Edge called Caseology that had really good reviews on Amazon which worked really well. I've had a few big drops and the phone held up perfectly fine. Only recently was the case itself starting to come apart. People are not using protection with them? That would make me nervous.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 10:24:12 PM »
Recently upgraded to the S9+, from the S6 Edge. Really like it. Really like the camera as it's noticeably better than my old phone. Only real complaint is the button below the volume button activates something called Bixby,

Yeah, I hit that every time on the first day. You can change it by left swiping the screen to get to Bixby home, go to settings in the upper right, and turn off Bixby key.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 07:33:12 AM »
Uh oh... I may have discovered something by accident...

I had to take the cover and screen protector off the Galaxy last night...

And it seems to work just about perfectly... as in, NONE of the problems I was having with areas of the screen going dead are showing up now. WTF?

They ALL started immediately after the August update.

Still noticing a few minor screen usage issues, but nothing like I was...

I guess I need to rethink my case and screen protector

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 08:12:14 AM »
FWIW I stopped using screen protectors when Gorilla Glass became standard.  I had been using the tempered glass ones, but the actual screen is tough enough now that I don't really scratch it.

I do have a rubbery case that fits around it, and I keep it in the front pocket of my pants. (Or stuffed in a cup holder, or tossed on the dash, whatever)  I'm normally a 2-2.5 years/phone guy, and haven't scratched one up since like 2013.  The new screens are pretty tough.

I'm pretty hard on phones too.  YMMV

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »
FWIW I stopped using screen protectors when Gorilla Glass became standard.  I had been using the tempered glass ones, but the actual screen is tough enough now that I don't really scratch it.

I do have a rubbery case that fits around it, and I keep it in the front pocket of my pants. (Or stuffed in a cup holder, or tossed on the dash, whatever)  I'm normally a 2-2.5 years/phone guy, and haven't scratched one up since like 2013.  The new screens are pretty tough.

I'm pretty hard on phones too.  YMMV
That is what I have been doing with my Samsung S8.  I just have the cheap $10 Walmart case that protects the edges if dropped.  The S8 has the curves glass anyway so the screen protectors don't work so well.  I carry it in my front pocket also.  The glass is doing fine.  I have had it about 18 months or so. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 10:26:58 AM »
I might at some point forego the screen protector, but man, I need that rubber case. Other than the "slippery" of the skinny S9, in general, I need to make phones as Ben resistant as possible.  :laugh:

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 11:48:21 AM »
GS9 Tech 21 case

I slapped mine in one of those.  It claims 3m drop protection.  I don't know about that, but can vouch for 4 or 5 feet onto concrete with no damage a couple times.  It also doesn't add too much bulk.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 11:52:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm just nervous about giving up the screen protector. I carry my phone in my pocket and I have a bad habit of throwing my keys into the same pocket.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »
GS9 Tech 21 case

I slapped mine in one of those.  It claims 3m drop protection.  I don't know about that, but can vouch for 4 or 5 feet onto concrete with no damage a couple times.  It also doesn't add too much bulk.

I'll keep that one in mind. I always had Evo cases on all my previous phones. This is the first time I went to Otterbox. I just wanted to see what the fuss was about and they must have come down on their prices or something, because the Defender was reasonably priced. The cost compared to other options was one of the reasons I avoided Otterbox in the past - just didn't seem like good bang for the buck. I do like the Defender so far, and it came with a holster, which, I'm one of those dorks that uses one on occasion.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 11:58:59 AM »
Yeah, I'm just nervous about giving up the screen protector. I carry my phone in my pocket and I have a bad habit of throwing my keys into the same pocket.
That is what I have tried to avoid.  I tend to drop change in the same pocket I put my phone.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 11:50:15 AM »
So the Galaxy S9 arrived, I configured it, went and got a Verizon SIM and everything is up and working.  It sure looks and works much better than my 2016 smartphone, and Verizon has better service at our rural house. It is also smaller and lighter than the Axon 7, which is a bonus.  Hopefully I can get at least a few years out of it.

PS: Adding the phone to my wife's Verizon unlimited family plan costs around $ 40/month.  I forgot to ask how much it would have been if I paid for a single line myself.  I think the family plan is cheaper. The Cricket/AT&T plan costs around $ 35/month.  It will be worth the extra $5/month to get better cell phone service.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:43:22 PM by MillCreek »