Author Topic: Interesting Article on Amazon Reviews  (Read 1922 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Interesting Article on Amazon Reviews
« on: December 20, 2018, 05:44:12 PM »
Even though it's The Verge, it's pretty interesting, and even sorta gun related!

One of the many reasons I don't trust Amazon reviews anymore. Even though they were once my "goto reviews", even for stuff I was researching that I'd be buying elsewhere.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/19/18140799/amazon-marketplace-scams-seller-court-appeal-reinstatement
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Interesting Article on Amazon Reviews
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 06:38:34 PM »
Interesting.

And now I hope my issue when I ordered the seal and peal for my didn't land the seller in Amazon Jail.  :O
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 06:54:42 PM »
Interesting.  If I'm researching anything for a possible purchase on any site, be it C-Net for electronics, gun reviews, or Amazon reviews (which I still use), I ignore any ranking without some text. I then read the text to see why the item is getting a good review, or why not.  I can then sort through for useful information, and ignore negative comments that mean nothing to me and my needs.

Using reviews as weapons...nothing new, just a side effect of the Interweb age.  A lot of lawyers doing divorce work have gotten jammed up leaving negative reviews on a competitors site.  A car salesman friend says that happens in the dealership world a lot, too. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 06:59:59 PM »
Interesting.  If I'm researching anything for a possible purchase on any site, be it C-Net for electronics, gun reviews, or Amazon reviews (which I still use), I ignore any ranking without some text. I then read the text to see why the item is getting a good review, or why not.  I can then sort through for useful information, and ignore negative comments that mean nothing to me and my needs.

Using reviews as weapons...nothing new, just a side effect of the Interweb age.  A lot of lawyers doing divorce work have gotten jammed up leaving negative reviews on a competitors site.  A car salesman friend says that happens in the dealership world a lot, too. 

On Amazon, I have found of late that I can get better information from the less than five star reviews. Sure, some of the "disgruntled" reviews are just as bad as the paid, "greatest thing since sliced bread" reviews. However, I find in the current Amazon environment, I can parse more useful information from critical reviews, and they actually might convince me to buy vs chasing me off.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 07:05:17 PM »
Amazon reviews have become useless. I've lost count of the number of times I've started reading through reviews, only to find that at least half of them address either a different model than the one I'm looking at, or a completely different product. But it never occurred to me that some of those reviews might have been plants.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 07:34:45 PM »
Amazon reviews have become useless. I've lost count of the number of times I've started reading through reviews, only to find that at least half of them address either a different model than the one I'm looking at, or a completely different product. But it never occurred to me that some of those reviews might have been plants.

Sort them to show only "verified purchase."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 07:37:35 PM »
You have to actually read the reviews to get any good info out of them... a lot of them are obviously paid shills and a lot of them are the noisy 1% that get bad product.  But I've found over the last couple years, the opposite of the brick and mortar fear has come to influence my shopping habits.  Remember back in the early 2000's when main street was afraid that they were going to be the show room, only to have people actually buy things on the internet?  I've been using review systems online to sort potential purchases, then going in to brick and mortar to make my actual purchase.  I got screwed over by some optics I bought off Amazon... some Mead binoculars turned out to be lemons and they're normally pretty decent optics.  For a lot of things that I'm likely to be picky over, I prefer to sort through inventory and choose the exact product I want to buy rather than the next one off the Amazon robot that is stocked with that particular item.  Guns, binoculars, clothing.  Things that can have a lot of variation off the assembly line.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 07:44:40 PM »

Though it's what I do, not even those sometimes.  I forgot what it was - some cheaper item - where I read the verified purchases and a bunch were in crappy English praising the product. I suspect some of these Chinese companies get a few dozen of their employees to buy a few dozen of their product as regular customers, then fake the verified reviews. If it weren't for the crappy English that gives it away, it would probably be a couple thousand dollars well (if sleazily) spent.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 08:19:23 PM »

How do you do that?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 10:23:45 PM »

I always make sure to read multiple reviews from the top and bottom. Some of the people are just dumb when you read their review.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 08:49:46 AM »
How do you do that?

I thought you could sort the reviews that way, but it looks like you can't.  They don't have much in the way of sorting options.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 09:10:19 AM »
I thought you could sort the reviews that way, but it looks like you can't.  They don't have much in the way of sorting options.

You can't do it from the main product screen, but if you scroll to the bottom of the reviews shown there and click on "show all XXX reviews", it takes you to the reviews page where you have all sorts of sorting options.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »
I always make sure to read multiple reviews from the top and bottom. Some of the people are just dumb when you read their review.

I see a lot of 1 star reviews that that lead me to believe that the reviewer could screw up a dog turd.
I've also seen low reviews on stuff that I've bought and used with no problems that make me think the reviewer doesn't quite rate as sentient.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 09:33:59 AM »
I always like the 5-star reviews that say "Haven't used it yet"!
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 09:47:13 AM »
Some people are more than willing to give a product a 1 star review for reasons that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the product itself. It's ridiculous.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »
I always like the 5-star reviews that say "Haven't used it yet"!

"But it looks great!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 10:04:59 AM »
Some people are more than willing to give a product a 1 star review for reasons that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the product itself. It's ridiculous.

"package was damaged"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »
"package was damaged"

Or something along the lines of "The delivery driver left it in a weird place and I didn't see it for 3 days."

People are SO *expletive deleted*ing STUPID.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 10:36:10 AM »
The 2 and 4 star reviews are the most useful to me.

I've had vendors offer me my money back and ask me to give them a good review... one of the times it was an obvious fraud knockoff of a magpul phone case from china- well obvious when I received it :mad:

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 10:42:35 AM »
Both Amazon and YouTube are facing a content-creator situation which is due in majority to their automated systems' Orwellian clampdown on content for the strangest of infractions. Then they add insult to injury with their pathological aversion to actual human contact and strict adherence to the least helpful means of provider support.

Amazon can get away with it to a degree because the core of their business is self-contained. Third-party offerings are just icing on the cake. YouTube, on the other hand, relies almost solely on external content for their offerings. From what I can tell, YouTube's last Content Creator Conference got plenty uncomfortable for the YouTube brass who dared actually show up.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »
I think product reviews are problematic in general since most reviews are posted shortly after receiving the product.  Occasionally I'll see a review by someone that's been using the product for a length of time, but most are essentially a review of shipping speed and packaging.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 07:03:08 PM »
I see that on the primary arms site also.  Half the reviews are people happy they received the part quickly and at a good price. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 07:22:10 PM »
Reading the aritcle, it kind of sounds like Amazon is getting too big and it heading down the road to self destruction (might take a while). 

The secrecy just sounds nuts to me.  It seems to me they could easily have their own consultants resolve most of these disputes, maybe even charge for the service.  And I think they could track a lot of the competitor attacks if they wanted. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 07:43:59 PM »
Reading the aritcle, it kind of sounds like Amazon is getting too big and it heading down the road to self destruction (might take a while). 

I'm concerned about ALL the companies in the FAANG stocks. They've all grown a big too big for their britches, and I see something major down the road. I won't at all be surprised to see Twitter and Facebook pretty much disappear. Amazon will survive, but they're going to need to start thinking about adapting, much as brick and mortar had to do because of Amazon.

I read an interesting article today about a lot of the millennials starting to shed Amazon as "uncool", much as they're ditching Facebook. There is apparently a "local mom and pop brick and mortar" shopping trend among millennials, which really isn't a bad thing, IMO. There is something Dystopian about a future where all purchases are done online (or whatever "online" becomes in 100 years).

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2018, 01:37:14 AM »
Remember when E-Bay was the root of all evil and going to destroy the brick-n-mortar, mom and pop stores ??

Or when Wal-mart was going to take over the world ??

Then along came Amazon...

And yes, as the onion layers of Facebook and the Zuck selling and reselling all your info to anyone and everyone keep getting revealed, FB continues to shed users...

And Netflix has now stepped on it's crank...  https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/12/20/busted-netflixs-viral-tweet-on-the-nyt-facebook-article-was-a-total-lie/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.