Author Topic: I hate Daylight Savings Time  (Read 2722 times)

client32

• friend
I hate Daylight Savings Time
« on: February 15, 2007, 10:56:18 AM »
This has got be the most worthless practice in futility that exists. 
Move the clock forward, move the clock back. Repeat.

Now we have changed when to do this.  Huh?  Well now all those computers everywhere have to be patched because someone (I assume a politician) decided to change when we do daylight savings time.

I'm in favor of simply getting rid of it.

/rant
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: I hate Daylight Savings Time
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 11:04:21 AM »
Noooo!  I just got it and I love it!

More sunlight to do productive things!

Keep your talons off my DST, time tyrant! police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
How 'bout we get rid of standard time, and after it's gone, DST can assume the title? Voila!  grin

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 11:57:34 AM »
Split the difference, nail it down tight, and don't ever touch it again.  angry

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 11:58:11 AM »
Yes, its a bit of a pain in our current society.  Spring foward; fall back.  Have the clocks in the house need to be reset.

For Windows users, IntelliAdmin has provided a FREE utility to update the settings on your machines.  Good since for Win2k users MS has pretty much dropped support.

http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/01/unofficial-windows-2000-daylight.html

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Telperion

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 12:06:21 PM »

Wait, you mean the government can legislate more sunlight?  Maybe they can turn the sun off too in the event of global warming. Cheesy

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 12:12:04 PM »
If we were to get rid of part of the cycle, I would really love to get rid of Daylight Wasting Time in the fall and winter.  I find that I actually get quite depressed when an hour of sunlight suddenly disappears from the end of the day.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 12:12:11 PM »
With Algore and Democrats in Washington D.C., all things are possible. police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 12:24:39 PM »
Daylight Savings What?

We don't have that in Arizona  grin

client32

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 06:23:05 PM »
Daylight Savings What?

We don't have that in Arizona  grin
And I am thinking of moving there.

You say that now ..... just wait a while, it gets annoying (though maybe not as annoying as keeping up whether the next county is in the same time zone.)

At one time it was a slight annoyance.  Then it became a hassle when we had kids.  (newborns -  4 year olds don't adjust well, I can't say anything past 4)  Now that they have changed when it comes around, it has become a major hassle.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 06:29:43 PM »
El T,
I hereby hire you.  Sue them that don't like DST into the ground.  I just love it when it's still daylight at 10PM.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

client32

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 06:54:46 AM »
El T,
I hereby hire you.  Sue them that don't like DST into the ground.  I just love it when it's still daylight at 10PM.
For clarification, I am not necessarily against DST, just the fact that we change. 

[/trying to avoid lawsuit]

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 07:37:59 AM »
grampster, as your attorney I have to advise that you cannot sue a person for his opinion, however wrong and backward. grin

publius

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 09:03:16 AM »
grampster, as your attorney I have to advise that you cannot sue a person for his opinion, however wrong and backward. grin

How about a class action against everyone with that opinion? Can we get that going?

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 10:21:11 AM »
No, no, no we're not suing anyone.  We need to make our enemies our friends.

The proper remedy against those who abhor DST is education.  We need to get them off the couch and outside and see how wonderful DST is!  Extra daylight during the warm months means more exercise and more productivity which makes a healthier and wealthier culture.

Yeah productivity and education! angel

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 11:31:31 AM »
What I don't understand is that if we are saving all that daylight during the summer months, then why can't we use some of it during the winter ...Huh?    rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
Our install group has been having fecal hemorrhages for the last couple of months because of java code and OS code updates. Customers have been backing up the live queues. I think they have a backlog of about 60 calls as of today.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 02:12:41 PM »
If you hate DST, try living on a ship that crosses time zones on a daily basis.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 08:44:43 AM »
Yes, its a bit of a pain in our current society.  Spring foward; fall back.  Have the clocks in the house need to be reset.

For Windows users, IntelliAdmin has provided a FREE utility to update the settings on your machines.  Good since for Win2k users MS has pretty much dropped support.

Thanks for the info. I bought the $129 version for the company. Seems to work with zero hassles from a GUI. Point and click ftw.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 09:41:06 AM »
Yes, its a bit of a pain in our current society.  Spring foward; fall back.  Have the clocks in the house need to be reset.

For Windows users, IntelliAdmin has provided a FREE utility to update the settings on your machines.  Good since for Win2k users MS has pretty much dropped support.

Thanks for the info. I bought the $129 version for the company. Seems to work with zero hassles from a GUI. Point and click ftw.

$129 for a product that just fixes Windows' broken clock? Once?

Geez, Bill has you people firmly under his boot heel and believing it's for the best, doesn't he.  shocked

For the record, Software Update in OSX provided a patch this morning on its own for all machines here...new, and old versions as well.

Free.

Need third party support to fix a broken enterprise-wide product, and have to pay for the privilege. That's...something, alright.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 09:58:59 AM »
$129 for a product that just fixes Windows' broken clock? Once?

I suspect that StopTheGrays purchased the product Network Administrator ( http://www.intelliadmin.com/NetworkAdministrator.htm ), which is more than just a fix for the DST modifications.  I don't use the product, but I can see who it WOULD be useful for those who have to ride herd on thousands of machines.

Yes, Microsoft has a good strong hold on the market and as a result we have to adapt to it.  At least until some other product dominates the market. 
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 09:07:38 PM »
I hate having to adjust my waking up hours, it is so useless this hang over from the agriculteral (sic) days.

It's only saving grace is an excuse to be late two days a year.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 01:37:47 AM »
Farmers were the ones that were AGAINST DST.  It was created by a city boy, the farmers loathed it.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 04:03:55 AM »
Weren't there actually valid statistics that showed that DST caused a spike in traffic accidents and loss of workplace productivity?

Just think, that morning, the roads will be packed with people who got an hour less sleep.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 04:19:02 AM »
I always hated the end of DST during my working years.  As a retiree it doesn't matter at all.

I don't understand why the computer being off makes any nevermind.  Cliick on the clock dealie, reset, click off forget.  BFD.  Sheesh!  People make ten thousand mouse clicks a day, and now they wanna gripe about a few more? Cheesy

Art

The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.