Author Topic: Obama Campaign Pressures Potential Donors by Comparing Them With Neighbors  (Read 2493 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
The Obama campaign is testing a new approach to fundraising, blasting out emails that ever-so-gently shame supporters into donating.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/08/obama-campaign-pressures-potential-donors-by-comparing-them-to-neighbors/

Basically they are emailing people donated in 2008 who have not yet done so for this next election.  They are saying things like x number of your neighbors have already donated again.  Now it is your turn.

Be interesting to see some of the answers from those that have no inclination of donating to his campaign this time.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Is this supposed to be a bad thing?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
Maybe not from our side.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
Yeah, if people are not motivated to donate, trying to push them into it isn't likely to work. 

Another side of it, I remember my Dad said he donated some money to the Reagan campaign in the 80's.  It wasn't much, but in response he was slammed with so much junk mail trying to get him to donate more money, he figured they spent his entire donation sending junk mail back to him.  However, I doubt people actually thinking of giving money to Obama now would have the sense to come to that conclusion.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Yeah, if people are not motivated to donate, trying to push them into it isn't likely to work. 

Another side of it, I remember my Dad said he donated some money to the Reagan campaign in the 80's.  It wasn't much, but in response he was slammed with so much junk mail trying to get him to donate more money, he figured they spent his entire donation sending junk mail back to him.  However, I doubt people actually thinking of giving money to Obama now would have the sense to come to that conclusion.

Maybe we should all donate five bucks to Obama ?   =D   >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
I dissolved our CCW political action committee two or three years ago, and left Wisconsin a year and half ago. I still get requests from WI candidates for PAC contributions.

Perd Hapley

• friend

Sure it will. If nothing else, it's a reminder. Or in some cases, it's a guilt trip. Why wouldn't that work?

MechAg94

• friend
Sure it will. If nothing else, it's a reminder. Or in some cases, it's a guilt trip. Why wouldn't that work?
I think it only works with those who still like him.  There are going to be a lot who don't.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
I think it only works with those who still like him.  There are going to be a lot who don't.

For sure. I know at least two of them.

I'm just saying that, from what I've seen, this is not unusual for fund-raising mail.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
If I was one to the people to get the donation message, I would ask for a refund since he hasn't lived up to all his promises.  Since I voted for somebody else in the last election, I guess I won't be getting the request.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.