Author Topic: Fort Hood Victims To Get Purple Hearts  (Read 2340 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Fort Hood Victims To Get Purple Hearts
« on: December 04, 2014, 01:06:23 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12/04/fort-hood-victims-set-to-receive-purple-hearts-combat-status/

About time this happens and good to see that both parties can actually get along and agree on something.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Fort Hood Victims To Get Purple Hearts
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 01:29:52 PM »
Why should folk get PHs for workplace violence?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 01:50:02 PM »
That.
It was either the actions of a terrorist insurgent or it wasn't.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:56:17 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12/04/fort-hood-victims-set-to-receive-purple-hearts-combat-status/

About time this happens and good to see that both parties can actually get along and agree on something.
Lately, when both parties agree to do something, you should be concerned.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 02:03:24 PM »

That.
It was either the actions of a terrorist insurgent or it wasn't.

From the way I read it, Congress and the Senate are going to do what the President and the SECDEF weren't going to do and call it what it is.  The ahole who did the shooting is in my eyes a terrorist and should be treated as such.  That was workplace violence as much as the protests in Missouri were peaceful.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »
From the way I read it, Congress and the Senate are going to do what the President and the SECDEF weren't going to do and call it what it is.  The *expletive deleted*hole who did the shooting is in my eyes a terrorist and should be treated as such.  That was workplace violence as much as the protests in Missouri were peaceful.

Indeed.

But...I am loath to limit the absurdity of damnfool policy pronouncements.  Apply the asinine good, hard, and often and make the policy-makers face up to it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 04:31:40 PM »
It was an act of Terrorism.  Lone wolf Jihadi, got all radicalized on the interwebz.  Terrorist.

Have we shot him yet?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
It was an act of Terrorism.  Lone wolf Jihadi, got all radicalized on the interwebz.  Terrorist.

Have we shot him yet?

Nope not yet....From the wiki article about him:
On 28 August 2014, his attorney announced that Hasan had written a letter to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi—head of the notorious Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, which has proclaimed a caliphate in Iraq & Syria and has been designated a terrorist organization by the US, UN, and many Western countries. In the letter, Hasan requests to be made a citizen of the Islamic State and included his signature and the abbreviation SoA (Soldier of Allah).[177][178]
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 06:31:37 AM »

Nope not yet....From the wiki article about him:

On 28 August 2014, his attorney announced that Hasan had written a letter to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi—head of the notorious Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, which has proclaimed a caliphate in Iraq & Syria and has been designated a terrorist organization by the US, UN, and many Western countries. In the letter, Hasan requests to be made a citizen of the Islamic State and included his signature and the abbreviation SoA (Soldier of Allah).[177][178]

Which if I remember correctly al-Baghdadi said no.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 12:09:55 PM »
Which if I remember correctly al-Baghdadi said no.

Drop him off to make the request in person.

If he can't operate the parachute with the handcuffs on, oh well.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »
I dunno.  It sucks that those guys were gunned down while defenseless.  But whatever terrorist leanings Maj. Dipshit had, he was an Army Officer at the time of the shooting.  Which means this is, kinda by definition, a friendly fire incident.  About which and PH's AR 600-8-22 says:

(8) Members killed or wounded in action by friendly fire. In accordance with 10 USC 1129 for award of the Purple Heart, the Secretary of the Army will treat a member of the Armed Forces described in (a), below, in the same manner as a member who is killed or wounded in action as the result of an act of an enemy of the United States.

PH's are awarded to (Same ref):

The Purple Heart is awarded in the name of the President of the United States and per 10 USC 1131, effective 19
May 1998, is limited to members of the Armed Forces of the United States who, while serving under component
authority in any capacity with one of the U.S. Armed Services after 5 April 1917, has been wounded or killed, or who
has died or may hereafter die after being wounded—
(1) In any action against an enemy of the United States.

The PH is pretty clearly a combat award.*  All the various ways to earn it involve being in action.  I'm not sure that being murdered at home, by anyone, counts as "in action".  Sucks for them, but there it is.

Related note: Did the victims of the Ft. Bragg sniper get PH's?

*On the flip side, we hand out participation Bronze Stars now, so what does it really matter?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »
The PH is pretty clearly a combat award.*  All the various ways to earn it involve being in action.  I'm not sure that being murdered at home, by anyone, counts as "in action".  Sucks for them, but there it is.

IIRC, at least a couple of them were either moving to engage the shooter unarmed or help the wounded.  Not really any different from standard combat there, except for their lack of weapons.  Just because it wasn't a planned action doesn't mean they weren't in action against an enemy.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 01:20:39 PM »
I dunno.  It sucks that those guys were gunned down while defenseless.  But whatever terrorist leanings Maj. Dipshit had, he was an Army Officer at the time of the shooting.  Which means this is, kinda by definition, a friendly fire incident.  About which and PH's AR 600-8-22 says:

PH's are awarded to (Same ref):

*On the flip side, we hand out participation Bronze Stars now, so what does it really matter?

In the Ft. Hood case, the shooter claims allegiance to people/entities against whom there is Congressionally-declared sanction. So, I'm not sure the comparison is entirely accurate.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
Did we award Purple Hearts to the folks in the Pentagon that died on 9-11? Honest question,  I don't know.

I also thought that the issue here was less the awards, but rather that if they were combat injuries it opened up different benefits for the survivors. Did that change,  or did we just give them the medal?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 03:18:22 PM »
Did we award Purple Hearts to the folks in the Pentagon that died on 9-11? Honest question,  I don't know.

I also thought that the issue here was less the awards, but rather that if they were combat injuries it opened up different benefits for the survivors. Did that change,  or did we just give them the medal?

I don't believe they were awarded Purple Hearts but I wouldn't be butthurt if we did.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Fort Hood Victims To Get Purple Hearts
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »

Good question but I have no idea. If it was the open shot of a war, perhaps we should have.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »
I also would not be butt hurt.  In fact I'm not actually butt hurt that the Ft. Hood casualties are getting them.  Just pointing out that congress might not be in the letter of the reg there. Kinda gray area.

Now that I've thought of it, and looking back on some other articles I read I'm more interested in the other question I asked.

And it seems from a quick Google like they do indeed want to change the status to "combat related" injuries and not just give them an award.  Which is good.  That has far reaching implications on the kind of care and benefits the survivors can/will receive for the rest of their lives.  The actual care of the living is more important then the medal either way.

Also since I asked, This Article implies that we did give the Pentagon casualties combat status and Purple Hearts.  so this will bring us into a consistent position.  Always a plus.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 05:00:49 PM by dogmush »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »
Drop him off to make the request in person.

If he can't operate the parachute with the handcuffs on, oh well.

Parachute?

Dammit, I knew we forgot something. ..
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 11:35:01 PM »

Back in the 60's, during the Vietnam debacle, the award given out for people who didn't earn any real medals was the Army Commendation Medal. I was awarded a couple of them for my time in Vietnam. Best I can figure is that it was the Army's way of thanking me for not fragging my CO and XO.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design