Author Topic: Woman loses half her border-straddling home in tax blunder  (Read 6815 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Woman loses half her border-straddling home in tax blunder
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:58:02 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/23/woman-loses-half-her-border-straddling-home-in-tax-blunder/?intcmp=latestnews

Part of me says it is your own damn fault for living on property that straddles two states, let alone the house.

But then again the bank needs to hurt a lot for not doing its job properly.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Woman loses half her border-straddling home in tax blunder
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »
But then again the bank needs to hurt a lot for not doing its job properly.

This.  I have little to no sympathy for banks when they screw up something like this.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
I've got to wonder what idiot actually drew up a plot map with a parcel that straddled state borders.  You had to know right then that it was going to be trouble down the road.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 11:37:11 AM »
It happens a lot. I know of one where house is on one side most of lot on other

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 01:51:31 PM »
There has to be a lot more than a bank failing to pay the NY property tax or the neighbor scheming to get the septic field.

I've known a few folks whose house/lot straddled the border between two towns/counties.  The homeowner and the two jurisdictions worked out in which jurisdiction the house (and usually thhe entire lot) would legally sit.  Almost every time it was the jurisdiction where the front door was, regardless of how much of the house/lot was inside the other jurisdiction.  In two cases Jurisdiction A bought the land from Jurisdiction B and recovered the costs via increased taxes.  In one case Juridiction A agreed to collect all the taxes and remit Jurisdiction B's portion; the agreement absolved the homeowner of any penalty if Jurisdition A screwed up as long as the homeowner could prove they paid the tax to Jurisdiction A.

Without those sorts of compromises you are faced with two jurisdictions being responsible for all sorts of municipal services such as fire, police, utility right of way, health and building code inspection/enforcement.  Just imagine the boondoggle that would ensue if a burglar broke in through a back window (NY side) but got shot and died on the CT side of the house.  It would be a bigger circus than the 27 police agencies in DC explaining why a car that jumped the curb along Embassy Row was not in their jurisdiction.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 02:55:00 PM »
I've known a few folks whose house/lot straddled the border between two towns/counties.  The homeowner and the two jurisdictions worked out in which jurisdiction the house (and usually thhe entire lot) would legally sit.

Doesn't seem to work that way in TX.  Have a friend whose house is just barely over the line, and he pays ~5% of his taxes to the other county.  Game warden still won't give him a solid answer on what to put on the tag if he shoots a deer in his ~40 acre front yard in one county and it crosses to his ~80 acre back yard in the other county to die.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 03:04:31 PM »
Ft Campbell, KY is mostly in Tennessee and I believe at one time in history was considered Ft. Campbell, TN.  The post is in Kentucky due to that is where the HQ building is.  However I saw more than a few tickets thrown out because the MP that wrote it wrote up the wrong state statute on it.  They would write a TN when the offense was in KY or vice versa.

Thankfully none of mine were. =D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
Knew a lady in NJ who had a house built and someone screwed up, the line between two towns went roughly right down the middle of her living room.

To make things more fun, the two towns apparently had a little pissing match going, so didn't come to an agreement quickly of easily on which one the property would fall under.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »
This.  I have little to no sympathy for banks when they screw up something like this.

Agreed, but I would add that Alethea Jacob is being a *expletive deleted*it for demanding $150K.

The home straddles the New York - Connecticut state line.  I wonder if Rosanne Di Guilio owns anything that's legal in one state but not the other.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 09:27:23 PM »
Doesn't seem to work that way in TX.  Have a friend whose house is just barely over the line, and he pays ~5% of his taxes to the other county.  Game warden still won't give him a solid answer on what to put on the tag if he shoots a deer in his ~40 acre front yard in one county and it crosses to his ~80 acre back yard in the other county to die.
I used to have a townhouse in Clear Lake, TX.  Half my property taxes went to Harris County and half went to Galveston County.  I am not sure if the house split a property line or they just designated a border zone to be 50/50.  I don't recall ever seeing a note about a border line passing through.  Of course, it might have been the entire townhouse property was done that way.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/2015/02/15/woman-loses-half-of-her-house-to-neighbor/23454577/
Here is a link that has more information. 

http://www.fark.com/comments/8606937/Womans-house-straddles-NYCT-border-Bank-fails-to-pay-taxes-on-NY-half-of-it-out-of-escrow-account-Town-forecloses-Neighbor-snaps-it-up-for-$275-Doesnt-tell-woman-When-she-does-find-out-neighbor-offers-it-back-for-$150k
The link came from here if the first one gives you problems.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 09:43:59 PM »
Based on the article I posted, the property taxes ($200) were unpaid from 2004 to 2010.  The neighbor noticed a county auction notice posted on a tree and bid on the property and got it.  Apparently, the neighbor never notified the homeowner that they owned it and the home owner found out in 2013 after for paying insurance, lawn service, and other stuff during the time she didn't even own the property.  The neighbor has offered to sell it back for a lower amount which the mortgage company has agreed to pay, but the homeowner wants the original seizure voided in court. 

I find it hard to believe that the taxes went unpaid for that long and the homeowner never was notified.  The article said she paid directly before turning it over to escrow in a refinance in 2004 so the county knew where to send the bills.  Of course, it sounds like she never looked at the escrow account information to see both bills were paid. 

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 11:13:35 PM »
If she was taking care of the property as though it was her own, as well as living on it, wouldn't she have an adverse possession claim against the neighbor?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 07:23:08 AM »
If she was taking care of the property as though it was her own, as well as living on it, wouldn't she have an adverse possession claim against the neighbor?

I think you just gave me PTSD from law school Property Law class!
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:21 AM »
The neighbor has offered to sell it back for a lower amount which the mortgage company has agreed to pay, but the homeowner wants the original seizure voided in court.  
Then screw the original property owner.

Bank made a mistake.  Bank made it right at their own expense.  Property owner refused?  Eff that.

Not for years and years, and all the  current owner has to do is say "hey, that's mine" and then the adverse possession claim goes kablooey.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 10:07:01 AM »

Bank made a mistake.  Bank made it right at their own expense.  Property owner refused?  Eff that.
Not for years and years, and all the  current owner has to do is say "hey, that's mine" and then the adverse possession claim goes kablooey.

The original property owner didn't refuse, the new property owner is being the bitch.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »
Friend of mine has property (IIRC, it's about 20 acres) which is about 98% in one jurisdiction, with one small back corner - NOT including his house, driveway, mailbox, or any buildings - within the border of another.

The 2% jurisdiction is claiming that their zoning and other statutes apply to the ENTIRE property.

Once they sent out cops to "enforce" their zoning laws - buddy called the cops from the OTHER jurisdiction - where 98% of his property lies - and the two police forces had a confrontation in his front yard.

No guns were drawn, but I understand he got to see a pretty loud and heated "discussion" between the two police forces.  [popcorn]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 02:30:14 PM »
Friend of mine has property (IIRC, it's about 20 acres) which is about 98% in one jurisdiction, with one small back corner - NOT including his house, driveway, mailbox, or any buildings - within the border of another.

The 2% jurisdiction is claiming that their zoning and other statutes apply to the ENTIRE property.

Once they sent out cops to "enforce" their zoning laws - buddy called the cops from the OTHER jurisdiction - where 98% of his property lies - and the two police forces had a confrontation in his front yard.

No guns were drawn, but I understand he got to see a pretty loud and heated "discussion" between the two police forces.  [popcorn]

I'm curious as to how it was zoned in the 2% side.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 06:35:37 AM »
Without those sorts of compromises you are faced with two jurisdictions being responsible for all sorts of municipal services such as fire, police, utility right of way, health and building code inspection/enforcement.  Just imagine the boondoggle that would ensue if a burglar broke in through a back window (NY side) but got shot and died on the CT side of the house.  It would be a bigger circus than the 27 police agencies in DC explaining why a car that jumped the curb along Embassy Row was not in their jurisdiction.

Correct. When I was working as a building inspector a few years ago, the small town for which I worked had part of the campus of a small and very much un-famous "university" within our turf. The rest of the "university" lies in the adjoining city. As luck would have it, the gymnasium building (for at least one) straddles the boundary. I wasn't the inspector, the boss was because he was also the town's sanitarian. We had a project in which we inspected the swimming pool and the adjoining city inspected the locker rooms.

That said, the compromises assigning everything to one of the two jurisdictions are far more common than dual oversight.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 10:44:04 AM »

1.  The original property owner seems to have a valid complaint that the seizing agency failed to make any effort to notify her either in person or by mail of the failure to pay the bill and failed to publicize the seisure properly.  IMO, seeing that issue decided in court first is perfectly valid. 

2.  The new owner paid less than $300, but first offered to sell it back for $150,000 and now is offering something like $30,000.  If they are the valid owner, that is their right, but it isn't very charitable.  IMO, since they failed completely to assert ownership and continued letting the previous owner pay for upkeep and insurance without seeking any agreement, I think the previous owner has some rights in this if the current court decision doesn't go her way.  (but what do I know.  I am not a lawyer and don't know the law there.)

3.  At least the mortgage company is willing to fix the issue.  I was at least happy to see that.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 05:24:06 PM »
I'm skeptical that the homeowner didn't receive notice.  Seems more likely that she ignored the notices until way too late.

The thing that really gets me is she's being offered a solution that makes her whole and she doesn't want it, presumably because it includes a windfall for for the neighbor.  That's just petty.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »
It would be a bigger circus than the 27 police agencies in DC explaining why a car that jumped the curb along Embassy Row was not in their jurisdiction.

Is there a story here?

IMO, since they failed completely to assert ownership and continued letting the previous owner pay for upkeep and insurance without seeking any agreement, I think the previous owner has some rights in this if the current court decision doesn't go her way.  (but what do I know.  I am not a lawyer and don't know the law there.)

This is what I was trying to get at, the only example I know about is adverse possession.  

Not for years and years, and all the  current owner has to do is say "hey, that's mine" and then the adverse possession claim goes kablooey.

The 'new' owner let the 'old' owner stay there without notification for quite some time.  So when does the A.P. clock start?  When she started living there, or when the property was bought?

I'm skeptical that the homeowner didn't receive notice.  Seems more likely that she ignored the notices until way too late.

The thing that really gets me is she's being offered a solution that makes her whole and she doesn't want it, presumably because it includes a windfall for for the neighbor.  That's just petty.

I've heard of enough screwups I can believe it.  The state would probably be happy rolling back the sale and getting it's proper back taxes.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
Is there a story here?  ....

Not much of one.  Drunk lost control and jumped the curb, ending up about 2 feet into the brick wall of some embassy.  Everybody wanted to pass the buck and leave the State Dept.* holding the bag for the whole thing.  Took almost an hour for all the responding agencies to clear their vehicles off the street and let a tow truck drag the crashed car away.

* - this was way before Fatherland Motherland Homeland Security existed.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.