Author Topic: Because of bullpup...?  (Read 4012 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Because of bullpup...?
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:38:45 PM »
British Troops in Afghanistan Returning Deaf, Times Says

By Andrew MacAskill

Oct. 30 (Bloomberg) -- British soldiers returning from Afghanistan are suffering from hearing problems that may prevent their return to frontline service and affect their civilian job prospects, the London-based Times reported.

The Royal British Legion said it dealt with 1,195 claims against the U.K. Defense Ministry over the last three years, the newspaper said, citing information obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=aDaFJhcSqw5o&refer=uk

I have heard concern that a bullpup having the chamber right next to your ear might transmit a dangerous level of pressure even with hearing protection, just due to proximity.

They ARE using SA-80 bullpups, no?

Could that have something to do with it? Or more likely to be artillery related? IED?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Because of bullpup...?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 06:20:37 PM »
It isn't the chamber next to one's ear that's causing the aggravated hearing loss.

It's the muzzle sitting just barely in front of your nose, instead of being at least 14" or 20" out there.

The last guy I loaned my Wichita pistol to ended up having a slight concussion from running a box of 50 rounds through it. Rifle cartridges going through a 10" barrel produce quite the blast effect so close to one's face, and I'd wager a bullpup like the FAMAS or SA-80 wouldn't help matters much.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »
A few possibilities:
1. The MoD doesn't issue earplugs, or soldiers aren't hounded about using 'em. No idea on this one.
2. The Brits are fond of automatic fire from their SA80s. Possible that a Brit squad would expend a lot more ammo, thus making a lot more noise, than a comparable American squad. More noise = more chance of damaging your hearing.
3. Distance from ear to the front of the barrel is shorter than that of the M4 and M16. The overwhelming majority of sound, IME, comes from the front of the gun.
4. Wearing shorts damages your hearing.  =D

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 06:39:20 PM »

:lol:

I recall a report not long ago about a large percentage of U.S. soldiers returning with significant hearing damage.
For entertainment purposes only.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:52:52 PM »
Are any of them still wearing kilts?  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 12:21:42 AM »
WHAT?
We all have hearing damage.
I can see the bull pup design making it worse.
Yet another reason to add suppressors.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Crosshair

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 10:13:28 PM »
It isn't the chamber next to one's ear that's causing the aggravated hearing loss.

It's the muzzle sitting just barely in front of your nose, instead of being at least 14" or 20" out there.

I disagree. Most all 22 rimfire rifles are under 140 db at the shooters ear. I fired a G22 once without hearing protection. Big mistake. After only 5 rounds, my right ear was ringing since the ejection port was only 2 inches away from it. The breech is much farther away from your ear on a gun like the 10/22 or a non issue on a manual action gun.

Of course this is also dependent on the timing of the gun as well. How much residual pressure is still in the chamber when the breech opens and breaks the occlusion between the case and the chamber?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 10:21:19 PM »
I remember firing the PS90 without hearing protection to see how loud it was, didn't bother me at all. Man that gun is so sweet. =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 10:26:15 PM »

I can understand that....AFAIK, there's never been a documented incident of a man who went deaf because he didn't wear shorts (or even pants) while at a shooting range....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 11:14:08 PM »
I can understand that....AFAIK, there's never been a documented incident of a man who went deaf because he didn't wear shorts (or even pants) while at a shooting range....

I would like to buy your rock.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 12:01:22 AM »
Is it a tactical rock?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 05:15:50 AM »
Is it a tactical rock?

I hate people who attach rails and carbon fiber to a perfectly good vintage rock.

Do you know how few of those there are left?

Oh, yes, they are cheap now, but what will you do when there are no more vintage rocks and you can only get one at $1500 at Rockbroker.com? HUH?!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »

I hate people who attach rails and carbon fiber to a perfectly good vintage rock.

Do you know how few of those there are left?

Oh, yes, they are cheap now, but what will you do when there are no more vintage rocks and you can only get one at $1500 at Rockbroker.com? HUH?!

That is why Tapco now produces the "Clamp-on, No-Mar Rail System for Rocks."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 10:24:09 AM »
So... uhh....

"Picatinny Rails for her pleasure"...?  =|
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 11:39:32 AM »
Most combat vets I've encountered DO have signs of hearing loss . . . fire a lot of centerfire ammo (.223/5.56, .308/7.62, 7.62x39, .30/06, .50 BMG, etc.) without hearing protection and you WILL damage hearing.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 12:24:44 PM »

You just have to get with the times.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 02:00:06 PM »
Is it a tactical rock?

Yep, keeps the tigers away.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »
Yep, keeps the tigers away.

I'm planning a trip to Sri Lanka is why.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 03:56:39 PM »
"Picatinny Rails for her pleasure"...?  =|

"Eeeeeeewwww!"
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.