Author Topic: NY times weekend magazine: My new gun  (Read 4025 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
NY times weekend magazine: My new gun
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:05:58 AM »
My New Gun
BATHSHEBA MONK
Published: February 25, 2009
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/magazine/01lives-t.html?_r=1

Back in late September, when my bank stocks began to tank — slowly, then all at once, as Hemingway described going broke — another wall in my life began to crack, as rumors of break-ins rattled my peaceful neighborhood in Allentown, Pa. The first indication that something was going on was the Crime Watch sign that suddenly appeared on the utility pole a block from my house.

To see what was happening, my husband and I attended a neighborhood-watch meeting in October at the nearby Christian and Missionary Alliance Church, where people suggested that crime was moving into our beautiful old neighborhood because the police were putting the squeeze on criminal activity downtown. A former city councilwoman sobbed as she told us how her home was broken into while she slept. An elderly man described how thieves ransacked his house in broad daylight. Some people were roving around different areas, stripping cars, the police liaison there told us, but evidently our stretched department could spare only three squad cars for the whole West End. We left feeling as if we’d have to batten down the hatches while the police tried to make it so uncomfortable for the drug gangs downtown that they’d move on. We signed up to be informed of future meetings and took the card of a local locksmith.

We live in a big old house with an open back porch and a three-tiered yard with trees. A year ago, I loved the fact that we were so open, that neighborhood kids and animals could play and hide here. But after that meeting, I began to see access points, places where we were vulnerable. “We have five doors,” I told my husband. “And the windows are a joke. The cat knows how to open them.”

Meanwhile, the financial news kept getting bleaker. A lawyer friend’s real estate and bankruptcy practice morphed into a plain bankruptcy practice. I’d always heard that crime increases when the economy goes down, and I found myself thinking of some of my grandparents’ stories about the Great Depression: people breaking the law out of desperation.

A friend told us to consider buying a gun to protect ourselves. The idea didn’t thrill me. I’d fired an M-16 when I was in the Army years ago, could take it apart and put it back together in the dark, and my experience with firearms, and what they’re meant to do, made me wary.

Still, I couldn’t get the idea out of my head, and a few weeks later I called my friend Jimmy, a gun enthusiast, and asked him to take me along to a firing range “just to see.” He brought two handguns, each in a locked metal box, and showed me how to use them. The noise in the indoor range was frightening, even though I was wearing the same ear protectors as construction workers using jackhammers. But more unnerving were the other shooters. The man in the adjacent booth had set his target at 15 feet and was firing with a coolness and precision that chilled me. Two punk-styled boys put up their own targets, life-size blowups of a man and a woman. It was like going to get your driver’s license and taking a good look at the people you were going to share the road with.

“You might as well get used to a .38,” Jimmy said. “A .22 is lighter, but you can’t really stop anything with it. You want to make a nice big hole.”

A few weeks ago, my husband went away on business, and after two sleepless nights starting every time the old steam radiators knocked, I finally decided I wanted protection.

Jimmy took me to the Army-Navy Store on Grape Street. It was 11 o’clock on Sunday morning, and 15 normal-looking — I was relieved to see — people were leaning on the gun counter at the back of the store. Jimmy explained the differences between the Glocks, semiautomatics with magazines, and the Smith & Wesson revolvers with six bullet chambers. The clerk told us a lot of handguns were out of stock; arms sales around the country have been increasing in inverse proportion to the collapsing economy and in response to the unsubstantiated buzz that the new administration is going to tighten gun control.

“You want a revolver, to start,” Jimmy said. I pointed to a dull pink Charter Arms revolver with a two-inch barrel: the Pink Lady. It looked like a toy. Jimmy laughed. “You don’t want a pink gun.”

I watched the woman at the counter next to me test the feel of several Glocks while the young girl with her thumbed an electronic game. Then finally I picked out a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum, “the gun I started with,” the clerk said. I handed him my driver’s license and filled out the paperwork. He left us to run my license number through a criminal-records system called QuickCheck. Two minutes later I was qualified and, between gun and ammo, $762 poorer. The revolver I bought has a black handle and a four-inch stainless-steel barrel. There’s nothing pink about it.

Bathsheba Monk is the author of “Now You See It . . . Stories From Cokesville, Pa.”
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: NY times weekend magazine: My new gun
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »
no pink guns!  what is the world coming to?

it's good to see the beginning of a new tide....
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:21:52 AM »
Hopefully her next story is about how she went and got some training.  Like an NRA pistol, home firearm safety, or personal safety in the home class or even just going to the range with Jimmy to get practice with her new firearm.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »

Hopefully her next story is about how she went and got some training.  Like an NRA pistol, home firearm safety, or personal safety in the home class or even just going to the range with Jimmy to get practice with her new firearm.

We can but hope. Judging by this - "The man in the adjacent booth had set his target at 15 feet and was firing with a coolness and precision that chilled me." - she may be the type to lock it away and hope she never has to use it. If she ever does need it, and the goblin gives her time to get to it, she'll close her eyes and bang away, hitting everything but the bad guy. Which might do the job, but still...
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »
anyone near Allentown wanna give her a hand?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 11:37:40 AM »
 =|  =|  =|  =|  =|  =|
The man in the adjacent booth had set his target at 15 feet and was firing with a coolness and precision that chilled me.
   =|  =|  =|  =|  =|  =|

Army didn't teach her nothing 'bout shootin', did it? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 11:45:23 AM »
Hyperbole.. it's what's for news these days.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 11:54:09 AM »
Hopefully her next story is about how she went and got some training.  Like an NRA pistol, home firearm safety, or personal safety in the home class or even just going to the range with Jimmy to get practice with her new firearm.

Yes. Having a gun does not make you armed any more than purchasing a guitar makes you a musician.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »
It was like going to get your driver’s license and taking a good look at the people you were going to share the road with.

Some people would just greatly prefer to have their own roads: that's all.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 12:38:47 PM »
Some people would just greatly prefer to have their own roads: that's all.

Who needs roads when there are so many sidewalks.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 02:04:50 PM »
If her steam radiators are knocking she needs someone to come in an address the slope problem.

"BATHSHEBA MONK"

Hum... I wonder if she was in the Israeli Army...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 04:06:17 PM »
“You want a revolver, to start,” Jimmy said. I pointed to a dull pink Charter Arms revolver with a two-inch barrel: the Pink Lady. It looked like a toy. Jimmy laughed. “You don’t want a pink gun.”

<BAAAAANT!>

Gunny collective wisdom is that a snubby is the last gun to start someone with.

Two minutes later I was qualified and, between gun and ammo, $762 poorer. The revolver I bought has a black handle and a four-inch stainless-steel barrel. There’s nothing pink about it.

That's more like it.  Now go get some training and practice.

http://www.bathshebamonk.com/

There's can't be two people with that name.  Can there?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 04:46:28 PM »
=|  =|  =|  =|  =|  =|    =|  =|  =|  =|  =|  =|

I thought the Army didn't do much with firearms training outside of the Combat arms? 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
=|  =|  =|  =|  =|  =|    =|  =|  =|  =|  =|  =|

Yeah, that gets me, too.

Sorry, if you're doing standard pistol slow fire at 15 yards and aren't being calm and precise and getting a decently tight group, you're doing it wrong.

This is the sort I worry about, because if they don't get training, I expect them to be the kind that screams and holds a gun out shakily like a magic talisman...which the bad guy will promptly step in and slap away.

Standoff at a distance, draw, aim, command voice. Right on top of you, need to have the skill and the determination to draw, aim and fire just like that, with consideration of your backstop as well.

I don't want training to be mandated or anything, but I really wish people would get some...

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 08:32:53 PM »
Depends on when and what she did in the Army (and which Army).....

Given the fact that she's a she, she probably was in a REMF unit that only did the bare minimum to meet AR350-1 requirements, ie. Qualify once a year with your issued weapon.  Which in her case means she probably fired maybe 49 rounds per year (9 to zero and then 40 to qualify).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 09:37:43 PM »

I am, but I wouldn't call myself skilled enough with a revolver to be the best instructor.  Rifles, sure. 

I will be sure to try to hunt down her email to tell her to get a PA LTCF, it's dirt cheap and good for five years.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 09:46:56 PM »
I just hope practice with .38 special first. Full .357 magnum loads can really put someone off and give them a permanent flinch if that's what they shoot first.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
The Army didn't teach her much about guns, did it?
I thought the Army didn't do much with firearms training outside of the Combat arms? 

That doesn't even enter into it.  If the shooter's cool precision chilled her, she doesn't get the first clue about shooting, and her drill sergeants should either be publicly horse-whipped, or given medals for putting up with her.   :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Myself

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 10:06:03 PM »
Quote from: Harold Tuttle on Today at 03:40:50 AM

I am, but I wouldn't call myself skilled enough with a revolver to be the best instructor.  Rifles, sure. 

I will be sure to try to hunt down her email to tell her to get a PA LTCF, it's dirt cheap and good for five years.

We must almost be neighbors. 

http://www.bathshebamonk.com/

Interesting bio.  I also am the child of a Bethlehem Steel worker and the grandson of a PA coal miner.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 10:10:54 PM »
I just hope practice with .38 special first. Full .357 magnum loads can really put someone off and give them a permanent flinch if that's what they shoot first.

.357 loads can be a handful and loud...

Revolvers ain't very easy to shoot, either. It took me a moderate amount of practice to begin to shoot double action accurately, and a moderate amount of dryfire. My guess is this woman will not do either, as will the majority of women who buy those snubbies with pink grips...just because it's pink and small does not mean it is suitable...

I actually had a pawnshop tell me that you didn't need anything more than a snubby because more than 30 feet is not considered self defense. This was while Mom and I were shopping for her a general purpose medium size gun for woods carry. A .357 revolver like a Ruger Security Six, GP-100, or one of the medium size S&W's would have been good, as well as something like a S&W M&P...she ended up getting a clean Ruger Security Six used for a good price, and I like it a lot.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 10:23:31 PM »
.357 loads can be a handful and loud...

Revolvers ain't very easy to shoot, either. It took me a moderate amount of practice to begin to shoot double action accurately, and a moderate amount of dryfire. My guess is this woman will not do either, as will the majority of women who buy those snubbies with pink grips...just because it's pink and small does not mean it is suitable...

Two words that help, but are not a substitute for practice, obviously.

Crimson Trace.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 07:01:44 AM »
Two words that help, but are not a substitute for practice, obviously.

Crimson Trace.

i agree, perfect aim will not help a poor trigger pull. if there was one thing i criticized about my ny permit it was that, with all the crap i had to go through, there was no training required.

with the amount of criticism here, i am surprised there are any newby's to the gun world.  i was just happy to see anything about a person choosing a gun for self defense in a ny rag.   that, to me, is a really big deal.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 09:49:04 AM »
Army didn't teach her nothing 'bout shootin', did it

Shooting?  In Zahal?

Are you serious?  Ask Micro about "marksmanship" training in the IDF. :O

Oy, veh, the goyim think Zahal is the place to learn shootin'. :laugh:

The U.S. Army is just as bad.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.