Author Topic: Computer help...  (Read 3997 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Re: Computer help...
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 10:07:38 PM »
Is that the healthcare-related labmate?  It looks like it has no trouble running under modern OSes, even Win7.  It probably even runs under Wine in linux.  The description says nothing of particular printer requirements.

If that's the only computer and printer he has, then I understand the dilemma.  Otherwise, try it on winxp or something recent, and any inkjet or laser you can dig up.  Whatever his newer computer(s) have, it'll probably work.

The "it's not gonna happen" response to Brad worries me a bit, considering how much time you and your dad have probably put into this already, and how much more time it will require to get up to speed on such ancient hardware (and with no internet connection, a simple thing like getting the right printer drivers if it needs them will be very painful).
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 10:30:20 PM »
It's does not resemble the current version of Labmate. Much older.

Once dad sets on a course, he sticks with it till he changes his mind. I can't convince him different.

The software specifically prints on this old Citizen dot matrix printer onto the two part printout- I don't think that can be changed, plus he has plenty of paper for it.

I'm pretty much letting dad handle this from here on out, and I appreciate the suggestions of how to utilize older software on new machines. I'll keep it in mind if Dad changes his mind.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:45:07 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 12:16:49 AM »
to read two decades worth of records that we have on a bunch of floppies. 

If that data is critical I would be very, very worried...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB