Author Topic: Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 tactical pump?  (Read 4027 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 tactical pump?
« on: September 27, 2023, 08:26:34 AM »
What says the hive mind?

I'm considering getting a tactical to replace my Smith & Wesson 3000 police cruiser.

I really like that Smith, it's a Howa made pump that was only offered for a few years (Mossberg later picked it up for a few years), but I'm worried about the long-term parts situation.

I have a couple other 12 gauges -- a Winchester 1200, an Ithaca 37, a Remington 58, a Stevens double -- but those are all sporting guns.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 tactical pump?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 08:29:47 AM »
I have both a 500 and an 870, and I have to give the nod to the 500. Part of that though is me being sinister-handed, and I like the controls on the 500 better. I'm pretty sure the 500 and 590 have the same control placement.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 08:36:10 AM »
I like the action release lever position better on the 500/590s
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 09:33:05 AM »
Like Ben, I prefer the Mossberg controls because I'm left handed.  My 870's run smoother than any Mossy I've ever fired, but that could be because they are '70's made Wingmasters.  Do the current production Tacticals live up to that legacy of smooth operation?  If they do, then the 870 would get my vote.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 09:37:25 AM »
Like Ben, I prefer the Mossberg controls because I'm left handed.  My 870's run smoother than any Mossy I've ever fired, but that could be because they are '70's made Wingmasters.  Do the current production Tacticals live up to that legacy of smooth operation?  If they do, then the 870 would get my vote.

My 870HD is circa 1995. I recall comparing it to a friend's old Wingmaster at the time, and they were not even close. Just for kicks, I just now ran the action on both my 500 and the 870. Maybe the 870 was smoother? I couldn't see a significant difference.

Both my 500 and 870 are the Big5 Sporting Goods plain jane editions. I don't know if those are a different production run than what you would have gotten at the gun store at the time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 10:22:19 AM »
It's been years since I've handled/shot either an 870 or a 500/590 so I'll need to get some hands on at a shop or gun show.

I know the 870 has controls more like my 3000, while the 500/590 has the safety on the upper rear receiver.

For a tactical gun I can see the Mossberg safety being a bit easier to operate.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 10:35:58 AM »
I owned a 500 for awhile. I did not appreciate the plastic parts of the safety or its location. It came apart and dropped a detent ball into the trigger and disabled it. I reassembled with locktight and sold it. I have not bothered with any 500/590 since.
The 870 safety is located where I am used to it and it works better for me personally. (Mine is swapped to a Big Head safety button) I have recently shot 2 new 870s and the overall quality is a step or 2 better than some in recent years.
They both have enough history you can probably make it as simple as location of the safety.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 10:45:21 AM »
I remember hearing 5-7 years ago about the Remingtons all coming out of the factory with terrible chambers.  Stick hulls like crazy, lots of malfunctions.

I've got a 590 for my unwelcome visitor shotgun.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2023, 10:56:30 AM »
They both have enough history you can probably make it as simple as location of the safety.

People should shoot what they want, but IMO (educate me if I'm wrong), on the 870 side, a lot seems to ride on who was running Remington at the time. They have really had some swings in management at Remington over the years, and I would be most inclined to really research the manufacture date of any 870 that I bought to make sure it didn't come from any crappy quality control years (and mine might have).

Current Remington management seems to at least be talking a good game, so maybe current production is good. Whether good or bad, Mossberg seems to have had a lot steadier management/ownership over the years.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2023, 11:03:46 AM »
I typically prefer Remington 870s for my utility shotguns and have a couple - one set up for hunting and a tactical version for home defense, but I've got a Mossberg too and don't really have anything bad to say about it.  I'm not as used to its safety position, but that's a training issue rather than any sort of qualitative difference.

If the individual gun you purchase looks good and works well, and you're happy with the controls, I don't think you're going to go wrong with either one.  Both have significant aftermarket support, and parts galore, although I think the edge on aftermarket goes to the 870.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2023, 11:39:19 AM »
"I did not appreciate the plastic parts of the safety or its location. It came apart and dropped a detent ball into the trigger and disabled it."

Hum... that makes me remember a friend who had a Mossberg. He had problems with the safety on his. I thought it would be an easy fix, but Mossberg apparently puts the safety in with some sort of weird security screw that requires a special tool to get it out.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2023, 11:41:54 AM »
I thought about trying to find a short barrel for my Winchester 1200, but so far, no joy.

I REALLY like that gun. Nothing fancy, but it's been rugged as hell for me.

My parents picked it up for me at a yard sale with 4 or 5 Winchoke tubes.

Did a lot of shooting with it over the years.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2023, 12:15:01 PM »
I thought about trying to find a short barrel for my Winchester 1200, but so far, no joy.

I REALLY like that gun. Nothing fancy, but it's been rugged as hell for me.

My parents picked it up for me at a yard sale with 4 or 5 Winchoke tubes.

Did a lot of shooting with it over the years.
You can get a standard barrel for it and cut it down. $99 on evilbay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374944022359?hash=item574c67bf57:g:mvUAAOSwFaBlDJMS&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8DqACxV2Xs7jE%2BcaD7RsubXuF0mIs0o2wIFqt8jxyBALD5tQZGdJFWGTszj%2BcR6Mn1T8prycnDpSpPy8KuLLil20e9XFj686GPVMvFWknt1gYha6aPw144%2BYlir2e%2FDK48NzX%2FkD8ux2g14vMstHUKBccLoUdslaQY22KJLjpTcRne%2FsKLCUBDVpHiVJzqX0H7R2fnf%2FCmB6SmVYRzFjrGF5gK7OoECvZRtAAeNNTyozOH04e4Ug9Ozy9o5jYpkcagmOwzvJTlEJG80dYlP4NWwc3kDamLZ8QqbYp54QdVpRlkCmvK%2FbACvBiC5ty6cjKg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6Db1PbaYg

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2023, 12:54:21 PM »
That one's got a rib. That would be more of a challenge than I'd want to tackle.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2023, 12:55:03 PM »
For all the ergonomic reasons stated, I prefer the Mossberg manual of arms.  Yes, my 80's era Wingmaster is smoother and sexier, but that Mossberg plastic log just seems right.
As far as the safety detent ball, mine never gave me an issue before I took it apart to paint it (duck gun) There was a cheap upgrade available (brownells?) but after a dab of blue locktite it never did it again.
7-11 was a part time job.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2023, 01:55:39 PM »
I have a couple of Ithaca 37s with the slam fire capability.  I have pondered a Mossberg 590A1, but can't really justify the purchase since I have the Ithacas.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2023, 01:57:07 PM »
Slamfire is fun, but is generally not very useful other than for wasting ammo.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2023, 02:01:00 PM »
That one's got a rib. That would be more of a challenge than I'd want to tackle.
People typically just cut ribbed barrels at a pillar and add a bead.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2023, 02:03:42 PM »
870 fanboi here.

I actually wore out a Mossberg 835 shooting 3.5" and 3" 12 gauge shells over several waterfowl seasons. I was going through half a flat of 3.5" and half a flat of 3" steel shotshells. Not even close to what a trap shooter even shoots.

I bent at least 2 cartridge interrupters; the slide bars were almost razor sharp on the edges; I wore the pivot point on the elevator.

My 870 is one of the original 870 Expresses from the late 1980s, back when they were just a non-polished Wingmaster. No plastic in my shotgun. It was a my slug gun for deer hunting, now I am looking for a Remchoke 18" or 21" barrel with rifle sights as a fur gun if I decide to go coyote, raccoon, or cat hunting in the winter.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2023, 02:19:46 PM »

Off topic:  But Ian from forgotten weapons just did a Slam fire vs normal fire comparison video with an 1897 Trench Gun and a tricked out 870.  Was neat to watch.

Oh! On topic, I think he was doing a contest to give away the Trench gun.  That's definatly what you need!  :D

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2023, 02:41:38 PM »
870 fanboi here.
<>
My 870 is one of the original 870 Expresses from the late 1980s, back when they were just a non-polished Wingmaster. No plastic in my shotgun. It was a my slug gun for deer hunting, now I am looking for a Remchoke 18" or 21" barrel with rifle sights as a fur gun if I decide to go coyote, raccoon, or cat hunting in the winter.
One of mine is also an early express models. I have a 28” remchoke and a smooth bore rifle sight slug barrel threaded for choke tubes including the rifled choke tube (marginally effective). Even the wood stock is pretty decent. I removed the mag tube detent to allow a +2 extension. It’s been shot a lot, it been a loaner for the high school trap shooting, never had an issue with it.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2023, 02:43:01 PM »

I did it a couple of times as a test and that was enough.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2023, 04:10:13 PM »
I did it a couple of times as a test and that was enough.
I did it once while hunting in sleet and freezing rain. Shot at a rooster pheasant and racked the gun for a second bang because the trigger was iced up and stuck back. It was pointed in a safe direction though.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2023, 04:23:38 PM »
I own a 500, probably about 40 years old. The safety went bad and was a bit of a pain to fix with some odd screw placement or something, don't recall the annoyance.

I think I'll get an 870. Perhaps the "chrome" model because I live in a salt marsh.

Either brand is fine, but I lean to the 870 because I carried one for decades.... muscle memory stuff.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2023, 05:19:24 PM »
If you are getting new, you might see what reviews there are for new Remington's.  The same guy who ran Remington into bankruptcy lead a new investment group to buy the current iteration. 
If you are getting an older shotgun, I never heard anything bad about the older 870's.  You might look around and see if any Police trade-in guns are on the market. 

The only Mossberg I have experience with recently is the Maverick 88.  It performed perfectly, but was a lower capacity model and I sold it during the COVID times. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge