Author Topic: Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 tactical pump?  (Read 4029 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Re: Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 tactical pump?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2023, 05:50:28 PM »
I have a nearly new 590 with an 18" barrel and 7+1 capacity.  I replaced the magazine follower with a Vang Comp stainless steel follower and the plastic safety with a metal "Big Speed Safety" from Vang Comp.  Both of those changes were made to improve long-term functionality/reliability.  Then, I replaced the factory stock for a MagPul SGA stock and the forend with a MagPul M-LOK forend.  The SGA stock lets you decrease the pull from a "sporting" length to something more suitable for a squared stance.  The forend will facilitate mounting a sling and/or a light should I choose to do so.

BTW, swapping out the safety wasn't that big of a deal.  Mossberg does use a tamper-resistant screw but it wasn't that big of a deal to get it out.  Vang Comp supplies a replacement socket head cap screw with the Big Speed Safety.

Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2023, 07:12:52 PM »
Hard to go wrong with either of those.  I was shopping for a Mossy a few years back.  I grew up with a Smith shotgun, and liked having the safety in the same place.  The day I was at the lgs, they were putting out on the used rack a Remington HD model that was bought by a home owner who fired one box of shells through it before trading it in on something else. Price with a side saddle shell holder and a soft case was $250.  The new Mossy I was looking at was around $100 more. Spent the savings on shells and trained on the safety.

Mike, I guessing your Smith has the safety the same as my dad's,  so the Mossy safety will be the same position and operation.  That's the only plus I can think of for one over the ither for you.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2023, 07:08:30 AM »
Off topic:  But Ian from forgotten weapons just did a Slam fire vs normal fire comparison video with an 1897 Trench Gun and a tricked out 870.  Was neat to watch.

Oh! On topic, I think he was doing a contest to give away the Trench gun.  That's definatly what you need!  :D

I watched that video a few weeks ago. It basically reinforced everything I already knew about slam firing my Dad's Ithaca 37. It's fun, but has VERY questionable utility.

Herb Parsons, the Winchester exhibition shooter, would use a Model 12 to break 7 clay birds that were thrown simultaneously. Some people accused him of slam firing the gun, so Winchester put a high speed camera on him that showed him pulling the trigger for each shot. I guess even back then people thought slam fire had more utility than it actually has.

I know where there are a half dozen completely authentic World War I Model 97 trench guns.

Unfortunately they are owned by the Pennsylvania museum system and will never see the collectors market.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2023, 07:13:11 AM »
I own a 500, probably about 40 years old. The safety went bad and was a bit of a pain to fix with some odd screw placement or something, don't recall the annoyance.

That's right, it was YOUR Mossberg with the borked safety. I couldn't remember whose it was. You had the armorer at your work fix it, IIRC? I know I didn't because of that weird screw.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2023, 08:06:54 AM »
Interesting. Winchester has a modern interpretation of the Trench Gun based on the SXP.

Looks weird.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/411559926/winchester+sxp+trench+shtg+12m+18cb

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2023, 08:10:48 AM »
Even better, I'm finding some really positive reviews on the general SXP platform.

This may bear reconsidering what I'm going to do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2023, 08:18:40 AM »
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/52704/winchester+super+x+defender+5+1+3+12+ga+18

Very good reviews at Bud's.

Yeah, made in Turkey, but anymore that doesn't really seem to be an issue anymore.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2023, 10:55:27 AM »
I used to have a stevens 235 side by side... Barrels were bobbed to 18.5", and with basically no extra receiver length, it was VERY maneuverable... External hammers, so I didn't feel bad about leaving it loaded.
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2023, 11:05:07 AM »
Off topic:  But Ian from forgotten weapons just did a Slam fire vs normal fire comparison video with an 1897 Trench Gun and a tricked out 870.  Was neat to watch.

Oh! On topic, I think he was doing a contest to give away the Trench gun.  That's definatly what you need!  :D

Saw that. The guy was actually slightly faster with the modern non-slam fire 870 but IIRC he stated the 1897's furniture being harder to get a good grip on may have been part of that and he also admitted he is far more experienced with the 870 as well. Overall I got the impression the slam fire feature isn't actually faster and probably not worth the safety risks

Video
https://youtu.be/jksldX33HAY
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2023, 02:08:52 PM »
I used to have a stevens 235 side by side... Barrels were bobbed to 18.5", and with basically no extra receiver length, it was VERY maneuverable... External hammers, so I didn't feel bad about leaving it loaded.

I've not seen a 235 for years and years.

I have an Ithaca New Gun double barrel hammer gun. It was, I believe, my Great Grandfather's farm gun. It certainly looks like it was used on the farm. Beaten around pretty good. The firing pins are broken and the barrel lug needs to be resoldered.

I was going to send it to Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca, NY, for an evaluation and repair, but their gunsmith died. I waited too long.

My current working double is a SxS Stevens 311/5200 in 20 gauge. Absolutely love that one.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2023, 02:42:04 PM »
I like the loading gate staying out of the way and slide release button better on the 590.

590 wins on safety visibility and works reasonably well with a standard stock but is a no go with a pistol gripped stock

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2023, 05:34:15 PM »

As I know nothing about the 870, I'll leave that side alone.
I do have a Mossberg 500-C pump with chokes for both lead and steel shot (currently loaded with 3" steel "F").  I also have a Stevens SxS but it is a (slightly) newer 311 that I had a gunsmith bore it out and put in screw-ins.  This basically turned my 311 to a 511.  It is loaded with 2 - 3" shells, OO Buck on one side and #4 Buck on the other.
  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2023, 05:39:57 PM »
 >:D AND, just make this more interesting, how many of you heard about the new "Circuit Judge" revolving rifle?  It is a revolving carbine that takes both .45 and .410 3 inch shells.
https://rossiusa.com/rifles/circuit-judge
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2023, 05:48:22 PM »
>:D AND, just make this more interesting, how many of you heard about the new "Circuit Judge" revolving rifle?  It is a revolving carbine that takes both .45 and .410 3 inch shells.
https://rossiusa.com/rifles/circuit-judge

You might want to watch Paul Harrell's review:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTyUPsb9eqw
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2023, 10:31:59 PM »
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/52704/winchester+super+x+defender+5+1+3+12+ga+18

Very good reviews at Bud's.

Yeah, made in Turkey, but anymore that doesn't really seem to be an issue anymore.

Turkey has made shotguns for a lot of American brands for decades.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2023, 08:51:25 AM »
Ian released a followup video

Testing an Original WW1 Trench Gun w/ GI Buckshot: How Does it Pattern?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0m-3eP38JE

Spoiler alert:
 It patterned surprisingly well compared to a modern shotgun.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2023, 09:11:59 AM »
I'm watching it right now.

As a teen I shot a bunch of paper hull slugs and buckshot (probably from just before/just after WW II) from a couple of shotguns. Never found any that wouldn't chamber in any of the shotguns that I used, but they weren't being stored/used in South Pacific humidity conditions.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2023, 12:38:15 PM »
You might want to watch Paul Harrell's review:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTyUPsb9eqw

Interesting and enlightening.  The rifled barrel did what I was afraid it would do with shot.
Thanks Angel.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2023, 12:41:39 PM »
In my opinion, if it's a .410 shotgun revolver, it's a stupid question that never should have been asked in the first place.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2023, 06:54:32 PM »
In my opinion, if it's a .410 shotgun revolver, it's a stupid question that never should have been asked in the first place.

It's amazing to me how many ignorant people talk of the .410 revolvers as being awesome firearms that are the perfect defense weapons.   ;/
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2023, 08:45:10 PM »
Even better, I'm finding some really positive reviews on the general SXP platform.

This may bear reconsidering what I'm going to do.
We had a new SXP failing miserably last night at trap practice. Many light primer strikes and misfires for reasons yet unknown.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2023, 10:10:09 PM »
It's amazing to me how many ignorant people talk of the .410 revolvers as being awesome firearms that are the perfect defense weapons.   ;/
I agree.  It is an overpriced snake gun.  A cheap 22 mag revolver with shot shells does just as well.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2023, 10:12:16 PM »
Speaking of used Remington 870's.... 

LE Trade-in Remington 870 Express 28in Barrel 12 Gauge Shotgun
https://aimsurplus.com/products/le-trade-in-remington-870-express-28in-barrel-12-gauge-shotgun?c=FRI09292023&mc_cid=0c580b4b21&mc_eid=2d3cb38bb0

I assume one would plan on getting an 18" barrel and a tube extension which would add to the total cost. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2023, 10:19:56 AM »
Sportsman's Warehouse has 870 Tacticals on sale for $390 right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2023, 01:30:18 PM »
We had a new SXP failing miserably last night at trap practice. Many light primer strikes and misfires for reasons yet unknown.

My Remington 58 failed at wobble trap some years ago.

Extractor hook sheared off.

Problems happen.