Author Topic: Happy V-E Day  (Read 953 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Happy V-E Day
« on: May 08, 2015, 07:20:39 AM »
70 years ago today.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

jim in anchorage

Re: Happy V-E Day
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 08:30:10 AM »
Can you imagine being in times square on VE day? There is no time or place I'd rather be.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »
I just got back from the flyover in DC.

It was incredible!

Was disappointed not to see either a Hellcat or a Thunderbolt, but all in all, pretty amazing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »
Can you imagine being in times square on VE day? There is no time or place I'd rather be.

Got to believe the combination of relief and jubilation made for some epic crowd energy.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 03:44:36 PM »
I just got back from the flyover in DC.

It was incredible!

Was disappointed not to see either a Hellcat or a Thunderbolt, but all in all, pretty amazing.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/world-war-ii-era-plane-makes-emergency-landing/story?id=30908490

Mustang?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 03:48:18 PM »
Grumman TBF/TBM Avenger torpedo bomber.  GHW Bush bailed out of one of those in WWII.

ETA: The TBF was built by Grumman.  GM built the Avenger under license from Grumman during the war, and it was called the TBM to differentiate it from the Grumman-built TBF.  Essentially the same plane.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »
They had what looked like an A-6 Texan circling out near the airport. My guess is that it was the in-air controller for the flyover.

One guy looked at it and started babbling about it being a Mitsubishi Zero.

Just rolled my eyes...

Also the first time I ever saw and SBD Dauntless airborn.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jim in anchorage

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 07:58:20 PM »
Got to believe the combination of relief and jubilation made for some epic crowd energy.
To be followed by VJ day. Must have been incredible times to live in.  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 05:43:15 AM by jim in anchorage »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 12:40:14 AM »
To be followed by VP day. Must have been incredible times to live in. 

Yep, we love to celebrate our Vice Presidents.   ;)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

jim in anchorage

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 05:46:37 AM »
Yep, we love to celebrate our Vice Presidents.   ;)
All right I fixed it wise guy.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »
I remember hearing the announcement of the victory in Europe on the radio, not the words, but the scene.  My mother and grandmother suddenly became very excited and ran out of the house. People were running out of all the houses, laughing and crying.  Even those who did not like each other were sharing hugs.

I asked my mother what it all meant. She said,  "It means all the daddies can come home!"
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell