Author Topic: Lack of Congressional Authorization for War with Libya  (Read 819 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Lack of Congressional Authorization for War with Libya
« on: June 28, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »
"225 Republicans allied with 70 Democrats to vote down a measure authorizing the operations in Libya. They did not vote to cut funding, however."
---http://edition.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/06/27/zelizer.war.powers/
I honestly have trouble wrapping my head around this.  Have we truly sunk so low?  Why isn't this issue being covered non-stop by all the press with giant headlines about a government in crisis.

I am really starting to think Congress only exists to spend money and make troublesome and ill conceived laws.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Lack of Congressional Authorization for War with Libya
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »

I am really starting to think Congress only exists to spend money and make troublesome and ill conceived laws.

....and don't forget enabling the dissolution of the Constitution...that's where all their important work is focused....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Waitone

• friend
Re: Lack of Congressional Authorization for War with Libya
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »
There exists two parties in the US.  Them and us.  The example you cite demonstrates conclusively when the issues get down to basics (like life and death) differences are minimal.  Makes me sick.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon