Author Topic: How Do You Become An Ambassador? 500k  (Read 1198 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
How Do You Become An Ambassador? 500k
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »
Not terribly recent, but I just saw it. A collection of the top 5 Obama Ambassador Nominees gaffs.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/02/5-most-cringe-worthy-blunders-from-obamas-ambassador-nominees/

Such highlights as never having been to the country they are seeking to become ambassador for, not knowing seminal political issues, and otherwise not being 'experts' on the countries they want to be the local state department head of. 

I really don't know why I would expect incompetence to promote competence in some area; any area; broken clock right twice a day right?

:Last sentence redacted due to despair:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: How Do You Become An Ambassador? 500k
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:18:14 PM »
I like the first comment I saw.  The jest of it being they were doing it on purpose so they wouldn't be confirmed because they didn't want to be the next Benghazi.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 02:48:28 PM »
I like the first comment I saw.  The jest of it being they were doing it on purpose so they wouldn't be confirmed because they didn't want to be the next Benghazi.
I imagine there are more people willing to accept ambassadorial appointments to England, Canada, and Japan than there are for Lower Slobovia, Berzerkistan, or Elbonia. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:50:03 PM »
I imagine there are more people willing to accept ambassadorial appointments to England, Canada, and Japan than there are for Lower Slobovia, Berzerkistan, or Elbonia. 

I would LOVE an Ambassadorship to Elbonia! Elbonian chicks are hot!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »

I'm holding out for Seychelles.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:02:56 PM »
Do we have an embassy in San Marino?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »
Put me down for Monaco or Germany.

I would say Guam, but I don't want to be there when it tips over.*

*- Yes, I know it is a US possession. But I don't think Obama knows that.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 09:31:31 PM »
So THAT'S what the mud is hiding!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »
*- Yes, I know it is a US possession. But I don't think Obama knows that.  ;)

I wonder if I could be the ambassador to Florida...

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 09:54:55 AM »
I wonder if I could be the ambassador to Florida...

Give it time...  [tinfoil]
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought