Author Topic: An Argument for the Oxford Comma  (Read 6058 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: An Argument for the Oxford Comma
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »
""Omaha, Nebraska, Toledo, Ohio, Phoenix, Arizona and Seattle, Washington."

That can easily be fixed by substituting the following... "A bunch of places no one would ever want to visit."

The semicolon is utilized to separate items in a series such as the above.

http://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/Semicolons.html

Link lists where the items contain commas to avoid confusion between list items

There are basically two ways to write: with a pen or pencil, which is inexpensive and easily accessible; or by computer and printer, which is more expensive but quick and neat.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: An Argument for the Oxford Comma
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »
When I was taught in the 80's public school system, that comma was mandatory.  I never saw people leavers out until after college.  It still doesn't make sense to leave it out, IMO.  In some ashes, the series reads just fine, but as shown above, not always. 
Sometimes I hate the autocorrect on my iPad. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge