Author Topic: Performance Under Pressure + (Dated CPR Training > No CPR Training)  (Read 1244 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://nypost.com/2014/02/22/scare-prepared-hero-auntie-for-baby-cpr-rescue/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Pamela Rauseo, 37, was able to breathe life into her 5-month-old nephew, Sebastian de la Cruz, on the side of a Miami expressway because she learned how to give infant CPR when her son also stopped breathing at 5 months of age.

Pamela jumped out of her SUV in bumper-to- bumper traffic with the baby in her arms, screaming for help when little Sebastian stopped breathing and started turning blue.

When she realized there were no medical professionals nearby, she dropped to her knees on the side of the road and performed the life-saving procedure on the infant until a nearby motorist and a cop took over.

“No one knew CPR, so she had to do it herself, she did it based on her training seven years prior,” Eddie Rauseo said.

Dayum.

“She’s totally calm, that’s her personality. Whenever there’s a crazy situation or stressful or out of the ordinary, she’s the one who is calming everyone down.”

I would believe that.

Some pretty good photos at the link.

Been a few years since my last CPR cert.  Not all that confident in it, especially since they changed the technique just about every time I re-did the training.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Performance Under Pressure + (Dated CPR Training > No CPR Training)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 11:44:43 PM »
I wonder if the kid has some congenital issues. His right ear looks kind of wonky, and we often look at ears on newborns, looking for skin tags, malformations, etc. because the ear develops about the same time other body systems do, mainly the kidneys. Auntie did good, the kids color was definitely not a nice pink you like to see.  

Hands only CPR.

Call 911

Push hard and fast. (center of chest, appx 100 compressions/minute).

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/CPRAndECC/HandsOnlyCPR/Hands-Only-CPR_UCM_440559_SubHomePage.jsp#

They say to use the beat to "Staying Alive" for compressions, but between you and me, "Another One Bites the Dust" works just as well. ;)

bob
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:50:37 PM by BobR »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:31:26 AM »
1 - She done good.

2 - One of these things is not like the other.

Pamela jumped out of her SUV in bumper-to- bumper traffic with the baby in her arms, screaming for help when little Sebastian stopped breathing and started turning blue.

“She’s totally calm, that’s her personality. Whenever there’s a crazy situation or stressful or out of the ordinary, she’s the one who is calming everyone down.”

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:32:20 AM »
It used to be complicated (different age ranges had different compressions per minute) but they simplified it to 100 cpm for all I do believe.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:45:10 AM »
100 to 120 appears to be the sweet spot.

Anecdotally, in my observation, if the number of people who claim to be CPR certified when asked actually were, the cardiac arrest death rate would be much lower than it is.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:09:12 AM »
Isn''t the CPR survival rate in the single digits  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »

Most places. Seattle/King County is around 15%, which is the highest in North America, AFAIK.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
I'm on the phone atm and I don't recall the stats from my last cert, but yes and no.

If you go into cardiac arrest, CPR by itself isn't very likely to get things going again on its own. But if someone's doing CPR while waiting on an ambulance or aed to show up, and it does so reasonably quickly, your odds are certainly better than without it.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
I'm on the phone atm and I don't recall the stats from my last cert, but yes and no.

If you go into cardiac arrest, CPR by itself isn't very likely to get things going again on its own. But if someone's doing CPR while waiting on an ambulance or aed to show up, and it does so reasonably quickly, your odds are certainly better than without it.

Probably depends on the original problem and the age of the victim.  MT is a pretty "gray" state and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone surviving.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Probably depends on the original problem and the age of the victim.  MT is a pretty "gray" state and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone surviving.
That and response time is a big part of it.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 12:56:35 PM »
As I put on my old paramedic hat for a moment:

There is a bit of a scam going on in terms of heart attack survival rates and CPR.  You need to ask how 'survival rate' is calculated.  In most places, that is defined as the patient reaches the ER alive.  Compare this to the much smaller percentage of patients who walk out of the hospital neurologically intact. 

Certainly CPR is a good thing, and if I had a witnessed collapse on the street with no pulse, I would want bystanders to perform CPR.  But it is not a miracle intervention and people should not feel bad if the patient still does not make it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »
As I put on my old paramedic hat for a moment:

There is a bit of a scam going on in terms of heart attack survival rates and CPR.  You need to ask how 'survival rate' is calculated.  In most places, that is defined as the patient reaches the ER alive.  Compare this to the much smaller percentage of patients who walk out of the hospital neurologically intact. 

Certainly CPR is a good thing, and if I had a witnessed collapse on the street with no pulse, I would want bystanders to perform CPR.  But it is not a miracle intervention and people should not feel bad if the patient still does not make it.

No silver bullet, certainly, but CPR/field treatment is the key to survival. Of patients who survive to hospital discharge, 99% were resuscitated in the field. Neurologic outcome is a separate, daunting, issue

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 01:32:25 PM »
After seeing a neighbor survive such a heart attack and 15 minutes of CPR, I am not sure I would want to survive.  Dude can't even find his way home from a walk.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton