Author Topic: Harvard discovers three of its library books are bound in human flesh  (Read 563 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
https://roadtrippers.com/blog/harvard-discovers-three-of-its-library-books-are-bound-in-human-flesh

There's something undeniably creepy about big, expansive libraries. The hushed whispers, the almost artificial quiet, and the smell of dusty tomes combine to create a surreal experience. But when it comes to creepy libraries, Harvard University might take the cake... you see, at least two of its books are bound in human skin.

A few years ago, three separate books were discovered in Harvard University's library that had particularly strange-looking leather covers. Upon further inspection, it was discovered that the smooth binding was actually human flesh... in one case, skin allegedly harvested from a man who was flayed alive. Yep, definitely the creepiest library ever.

Creepy, yet intriguing.

‘the bynding of this booke is all that remains of my dear friende Jonas Wright, who was flayed alive by the Wavuma on the Fourth Day of August, 1632. King Mbesa did give me the book, it being one of poore Jonas chiefe possessions, together with ample of his skin to bynd it. Requiescat in pace.’

If I am ever flayed by savages, I hereby grant permission to use my skin to bind a book.  Nothing by HP Lovecraft, though. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Harvard discovers three of its library books are bound in human flesh
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:21:32 PM »
Except that it turns out the book's binding was a combination of cow & pig collegen.  Contents must be something Hindus and Moslems aren't supposed to read?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 10:32:59 PM »
Doesn't "flesh" mean "meat"? I don't think I would use that word to describe skin.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 10:37:03 PM »
Doesn't "flesh" mean "meat"? I don't think I would use that word to describe skin.

"Flesh" can also refer to the body, generally, as in the dichotomy between the spirit and the flesh.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »
Mean Paula Deen is in her basement cackling "amateurs!"
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.