Author Topic: S&W L-Frame 5-Shot .44mag  (Read 1014 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
S&W L-Frame 5-Shot .44mag
« on: June 09, 2014, 01:46:42 PM »
http://www.gunblast.com/SW-69.htm

Probably discussed here before, but I have not seen any "actually shot the thing" reviews.

FTR, review is from Gunblast, who never post bad reviews.  So take the review with a grain of salt.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_827559_-1_757769_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

The revolver in the review has a 4" bbl.  I would be inclined toward a 2" or 2.5" bbl snubby to complement my 4" bbl 629.

I do like the partial underlug vs the full underlug on most other L-frames.

GB even tested it with full-power loads in the ~300gr range.  Ouch.  I don't like those in my 629.  I would be inclined toward 240gr LSWC or LSWC-HP in the 1000fps range.  Or the Buffalo Bore .44mag 180gr LSWCHP counterpart tot he "deer grenade" load.  LSWC vs LSCWHP to be determined if I was in town or toting in the brush.

Nice to see S&W produce new & innovative stuff. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: S&W L-Frame 5-Shot .44mag
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »
looks like a great gun to me
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »
With full house loads they can be a real pain in the... wrist.  With light loads they are a joy, especially if the action has been smoothed a bit and you've taken the time to get a grip that really fits your hand.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 03:40:41 PM »
That looks real interesting.
I like shooting my 5" 629 w full underlug but its just so darn BIG and HEAVY in a holster. Even with a good gun belt I have trouble keeping my pants up.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »
That would be a sweet carry gun with a 3" barrel and shooting 44 special loads out of it.

bob

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »
That would be a sweet carry gun with a 3" barrel and shooting 44 special loads out of it.

bob

so I'm not the only one to think that
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »
so I'm not the only one to think that
That would be the late 696, of which S&W sold dozens and dozens before they were disco'd.

I have a couple of 629's in 3-inch, one a Magna-ported Trail Boss.  They're a handful with full-tilt-and-boogie ammo.  As horsepower decreases, they become a real pleasure to shoot.  One of them is what I tote when I want to make a political statement when carrying openly.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »
That looks real interesting.
I like shooting my 5" 629 w full underlug but its just so darn BIG and HEAVY in a holster. Even with a good gun belt I have trouble keeping my pants up.

One word: suspenders.

Russ

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 12:05:01 AM »
Waiting patiently for the 3- series scandium. No really, i'd be all over it.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.