Author Topic: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Rediscovered)  (Read 1979 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Rediscovered)
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:31:22 PM »
Ugh.  I had forgotten what a POS this film was. 

And what trash most of the movies were, save only II (and maybe III, if I am feeling generous).

If you can not recall it, no worries, you aren't missing anything.  All that money spent, you'd think they could have spent some of it on a believable plot, some characters that were not caricatures, and some decent writing.  Yes, that could describe most of the Star Trek movies.

And I came away seeing the UFP and Starfleet as even more authoritarian than before.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Rediscovered)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:57:05 PM »
HEATHEN!

I take it you're not a Trekker.

STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE    C-   Has some redeeming qualities but was too long by 60 minutes.
                                                       The jackwagon who edited out the part about Spock's revelation
                                                        in the original theatrical release should be drawn & quartered.

STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN  A-  An unusually literate follow on, the chief problem being Kirk's son
                                                        being a bit of a libtard.

STAR TREKIII: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK  B-  Kirk recovers Spock on the Genesis planet, comes into contact
                                                        with a nasty Klingon who murders his son, and blows upt the
                                                        Enterprise to thwart the Klingons.  Kirk's best line:
                                                        "I have had ENOUGH OF YOU!"  as he stomps the Head Klingon
                                                         until he falls into a pit of lava.

STAR TREK IV The Voyage Home             Some amusing banter highlights Trek's 5,978,686,385 story
                                                         involving time-travel.  Kirk must save a whale .... like we should
                                                         care what some dumb alien probe wants, except it is playing
                                                         really bad with its neighbors.  
STAR TREK V                                  C-   Gene Roddenberry always had a burr up his b**t with regards
                                                          organized religion and this mishmash was derived originally from
                                                          mind.  Shatner directed this and proved conclusively that
                                                          Leonard Nimoy was a better director.  Atleast the music score
                                                          was okay.
STAR TREK VI THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY
                                                    B+   The final frontier, for the original series crew.  A competent
                                                          thriller brought Nicholas Meyer back into the director's chair,
                                                          outshining even Nimoy.  

Roo_ster .... you really really have to be a Trekker to "get it."      

Me ... now I'd have you beamed into the vacuum of outer space with the beam set on "scatter."  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:44:31 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 12:35:38 AM »

.... you really really have to be a Trekker to "get it."     

You don't see the problem there?  =|   :lol:

Also, did you post your review of number IV in the past, so we have to use time travel in order to read it?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 12:35:55 AM »
After the Shatner-helmed abomination that was V, it was a refreshing and welcome return to the ethos and principles of the original series.  Ben Hur it isn't, but it's still a decently enjoyable way to spend an evening if you're even the least bit a fan of Star Trek.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Re: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Rediscovered)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 01:33:08 AM »
Feh.  I am a fan of TOS and movie II.  And that is about it.  The rest of the franchise was stinker after stinker.  TOS had some very interesting content and loses out to the follow on shows and movies in only production values.   Very sad IMO.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 05:45:19 AM »
Well, you guys certainly debunked the myth of odd & even-numbered Star Trek movies (odd-numbered ones were supposed to be bad & even-numbered ones were supposed to be good).
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 05:55:25 AM »
I actually like the undiscovered country.

At least it didn't have any *expletive deleted*ing whales
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 06:52:43 AM »
First one was good enough for me to watch the second.  Second was the best of the bunch.  They jumped the shark with the third and really haven't seen any of them after that all the way through.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 07:52:25 AM »
Ugh.  I had forgotten what a POS this film was. 

And what trash most of the movies were, save only II (and maybe III, if I am feeling generous).

If you can not recall it, no worries, you aren't missing anything. 

That the one where some wannabe "God" wants a starship?  They all blend together.

And I came away seeing the UFP and Starfleet as even more authoritarian than before.

"where are the deathcamps?"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 09:01:51 AM »
I watched Khan a couple of weeks ago.

It would have made a LOT more sense to just blow up the Genesis thing along with Khans' ship.

Of course then Spock would have lived and the whole story arc would have been gone.

And I suppose someone will say that that's a bad thing.
jeff w

I like onions!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 09:27:26 AM »
Well, you guys certainly debunked the myth of odd & even-numbered Star Trek movies (odd-numbered ones were supposed to be bad & even-numbered ones were supposed to be good).

It's more like Windows versions.  Every once in a while there's a sweet spot.  About the same frequency, a real stinker that they wish everyone would forget ever existed.

STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE    C-   Has some redeeming qualities

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persis_Khambatta

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 09:29:02 AM »
Going back to watch old Star Trek episodes is always interesting.  The "lessons" or preaching of some episodes is there, but I can live with it.  There are other old shows I can't hardly stand to watch such as The Rifleman.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
You trekkies do understand that the first ST movie was essentially a bigger-budget remake of "The Changeling", an episode from the original series, right?

What I remember most from Wrath of Khan is that Kirstie Alley didn't weigh 300 lbs back then . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

erictank

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »
The review numbered III looks to be for IV, actually - that was the "Save The Whales" movie. III was the one where Kirk and friends had to steal the Enterprise to go retrieve Spock from the Genesis planet (running a starship normally crewed by 430 with just the 6 of them), blew up the ship after being ambushed by Christopher Lloyd's Klingon crew, took over their Bird of Prey, and brought the Genesis-revived Spock back to Vulcan.

I give III a C and IV a B, personally. Thought VI was okay, maybe a B-, II was definitely the best of the bunch, a solid A.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 11:04:28 AM »
The review numbered III looks to be for IV, actually - that was the "Save The Whales" movie. III was the one where Kirk and friends had to steal the Enterprise to go retrieve Spock from the Genesis planet (running a starship normally crewed by 430 with just the 6 of them), blew up the ship after being ambushed by Christopher Lloyd's Klingon crew, took over their Bird of Prey, and brought the Genesis-revived Spock back to Vulcan.

I give III a C and IV a B, personally. Thought VI was okay, maybe a B-, II was definitely the best of the bunch, a solid A.

Christopher Lloyd was a Klingon in the movie?   I need to look at that.  Someday.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »
That the one where some wannabe "God" wants a starship?  They all blend together.

"where are the deathcamps?"

Heh.

The whole, "Spock rapes her mind with an involuntary mind meld to get the information...and everyone is OK with it" does not suggest a strong ethos for the right if the individual.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »
Heh.

The whole, "Spock rapes her mind with an involuntary mind meld to get the information...and everyone is OK with it" does not suggest a strong ethos for the right if the individual.

To paraphrase Freud... "Sometimes a movie is just a movie."  It's okay to take the political filters off from time to time.  Reading a socio-political message into every word or action of a movie made purely for entertainment value does little for a person's attitude, demeanor, or blood pressure.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 12:22:19 PM »
They jumped the shark with the third and really haven't seen any of them after that all the way through.

They couldn't even get that right; jumping a pair of whales just isn't the same.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 12:47:41 PM »
They could've at least put frikkin laser beams on the whales' foreheads.

Brad
-HankB

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »
You trekkies do understand that the first ST movie was essentially a bigger-budget remake of "The Changeling", an episode from the original series, right?

What I remember most from Wrath of Khan is that Kirstie Alley didn't weigh 300 lbs back then . . .

No, only about 250lbs.  If you look you can tell she was a little chubby even then.
I always thought Robin Curtis was a better Saavik than Kirstie Alley.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »

Where Nomad has gone before . . .
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
They couldn't even get that right; jumping a pair of whales just isn't the same.

Hey, don't talk about Nichelle Nicoles that way.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
Hey, don't talk about Nichelle Nicoles that way.

She seems like a nice enough lady, but I have to say, that song and dance in the desert routine in V was just embarrassing for everyone.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 05:20:36 PM »
She seems like a nice enough lady, but I have to say, that song and dance in the desert routine in V was just embarrassing for everyone.

Indeed.

Though back in TOS, she was a hottie.  In a miniskirt uniform.  With boots that Nancy Sinatra would appreciate.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »
Funny.I just read that and thought"Uhura was in V?I the old one or the new?Hmm"

Yeah,I know.DUH! =D
jeff w

I like onions!