Author Topic: Moby Dick (Film)  (Read 1121 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Moby Dick (Film)
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »
Just saw it again.  This has got to be Gregory Peck's best role.  He manages to meld both charisma and a most forbidding mien.  Oh, and a heaping helping of self-destructive obsession.

Whenever I see movies about the old sailing ships, mining, farming, and such, what strikes me is just how astoundingly hard and dangerous that work was.

Really ought to read the book some day. 

The kids love it, especially my son.  But, he has always been a bit of a hard case when it comes to literature/literary content.  He is much more likely to enjoy the old-school classic kid's books or kid-oriented re-writes of adult classics. OTOH, you need to push & prod him to read some of the drek that passes for contemporary children's literature.  "The Vibrant Twins and Their Multicultural Inoffensive Caper" is not going to keep his attention. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Moby Dick (Film)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »
"Multicultural Inoffensive Caper" would be an excellent name for a band.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
And, Ray Bradbury wrote the script.

(Please, please, please let there not be a reboot.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 01:22:08 PM »
"For the sake of hate I spit my last breath at thee!!!!!!"
 =D
"Call me Ishmael." ~~ Richard Basehart, who would chase a few whales of his own years later in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. [tinfoil]

Great old film.   One of the few successes at adapting a book to a movie accomplished by Hollywood.  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:08:21 AM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »

I read it about ten years ago.It was quickly apparent that I couldn't read it like most books.Between the archaic language and the sheer volume of it I had to really slow down from my normal reading style.I swear that Melville was paid by the word.Why use twenty lines to describe a scene when you can do it in twenty pages?!Never again.

I think the movie is one that you can watch w/o sound and it doesn't change how you feel about it much.
jeff w

I like onions!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 02:00:13 PM »
Just saw it again.  This has got to be Gregory Peck's best role.  He manages to meld both charisma and a most forbidding mien.  Oh, and a heaping helping of self-destructive obsession.

Whenever I see movies about the old sailing ships, mining, farming, and such, what strikes me is just how astoundingly hard and dangerous that work was.

The kids love it, especially my son.  But, he has always been a bit of a hard case when it comes to literature/literary content.  He is much more likely to enjoy the old-school classic kid's books or kid-oriented re-writes of adult classics. OTOH, you need to push & prod him to read some of the drek that passes for contemporary children's literature.  "The Vibrant Twins and Their Multicultural Inoffensive Caper" is not going to keep his attention. 

I've started Moby Dick (again) and fell off reading it about a quarter of the way through (again). It is quite a hefty tome. (Note: this is coming from someone whose favorite book is The Count of Monte Cristo.)

However, you (and your son) may enjoy "In the Heart of the Sea" which is about the incident that inspired Moby Dick. You want to see the dangers of sailing? That encompasses pretty much all of them. (Ok, I think it doesn't have a hurricane, but otherwise...)

Not a novel, which makes it all the more powerful.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »
I read it about ten years ago.It was quickly apparent that I couldn't read it like most books.Between the archaic language and the sheer volume of it I had to really slow down from my normal reading style.I swear that Melville was paid by the word.Why use twenty lines to describe a scene when you can do it in twenty pages?!Never again.

I think the movie is one that you can watch w/o sound and it doesn't change how you feel about it much.

Archaic language doesn't bother me.  The excessive verbiage might be a stickler.

I've started Moby Dick (again) and fell off reading it about a quarter of the way through (again). It is quite a hefty tome. (Note: this is coming from someone whose favorite book is The Count of Monte Cristo.)

That gives one pause.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 02:32:43 PM »
I found Moby Dick to be surprisingly light-hearted.  I literally chuckled out loud at a couple of sections in the beginning.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 03:34:55 PM »
I think a lot of writers from that period were paid by the word (or alternately, paid by the installment for newspaper serials, which amounts to the same thing by the time it's all done). I know Alexandre Dumas was, believe Charles Dickens was, and wouldn't be surprised if the same were true of Herman Melville.

Re: The Count of Monte Cristo, if anyone wants to read the unabridged version I can't recommend highly enough you do not use the older, public domain translation. Despite being the translation foisted upon most students (see public domain), it really isn't a very good one, makes for difficult and awkward reading. The newer Buss translation (published by Penguin Classics) is much, much better.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 10:15:04 PM »
Moby Dick is one of my favorite reads,  not because of any of the literary BS they make you write papers about but purely because the descriptions of the whaling trade are so fascinating to me. The writing itself is actually remarkably bad if you ask me; just bad enough that English teachers love it despite the fact that they would bleed all over it if one of their students wrote it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 10:12:20 AM »
I like the honesty of it.  Melville was working through those philosophical concepts as he wrote the book.  I don't think he even intended it for publication, just an expository investigation into topics of interest.  The story of Ahab/Ishmael seemed to be of secondary importance to him.  The best thing about the book is the fact that none of the literary types can agree with just what it's actually about.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »
A long,run-on story though it may be,there are lots of good quotes hidden amongst the fill.

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2409320-moby-dick-or-the-white-whale

jeff w

I like onions!

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »
Chock full of quotes.  Here's a couple of my favorites, not on the above website.

Swerve me? The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event--in the living act, the undoubted deed--there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall?