Author Topic: Hillary Clinton running for president?!  (Read 34392 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Hillary Clinton running for president?!
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2015, 04:33:56 PM »
Who's going to pay for that? I don't know of any money trees. You put more money in someone's pocket, it generally means it's coming out of yours.

Perhaps management can take a little paycut or a little thinning of their ranks. I've been on the receiving end of reports of consulting firms how to trim the excess in higher ed, they never seem to report that reduction of management personal would be a easy place to trim some costs. Its always about making the lowest level work more or reduce services to the lower workers.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2015, 04:42:09 PM »
Perhaps management can take a little paycut or a little thinning of their ranks. I've been on the receiving end of reports of consulting firms how to trim the excess in higher ed, they never seem to report that reduction of management personal would be a easy place to trim some costs. Its always about making the lowest level work more or reduce services to the lower workers.

If it's voluntary, they can certainly do whatever they want as private entities. That CEO in Silicon Valley just made news last week by reducing his salary and setting the minimum wage at his company at $70K. By force of government is a different story though. Then you run into the Nancy Pelosi model where she argues that raising welfare payments puts more money in the recipients pockets to stimulate the economy.

Of course the Silicon Valley example is a billionaire, so like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, it's easy for him to say he deserves a cut, since he has millions already set aside. Much harder for the small business owner to do.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2015, 05:01:57 PM »
If it's voluntary, they can certainly do whatever they want as private entities. That CEO in Silicon Valley just made news last week by reducing his salary and setting the minimum wage at his company at $70K. By force of government is a different story though. Then you run into the Nancy Pelosi model where she argues that raising welfare payments puts more money in the recipients pockets to stimulate the economy.

Of course the Silicon Valley example is a billionaire, so like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, it's easy for him to say he deserves a cut, since he has millions already set aside. Much harder for the small business owner to do.

Of course it would be voluntary in private industry.

I don't see how a small business would push for a H1B visa fulltime employees, if they can't afford to pay wages of skilled labor, they probably are not very profitable to begin with and not selling their product at the right price or enough volume.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »
The thing is Ben we are asking for the market to work.  The problem is that the companies have used both illegal methods (price fixing collusion) and government force (more H1B visas) to manipulate and distort the market.

Yes, I get get that companies have to drive down costs, but last I checked, both Apple and Google have posted exceptionally large profits and stock price growth.

And to HTG:

Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place.  (and maybe expecting a bit much)

I went to Devry and every 4 months they would graduate a batch of 60+ Electronic Technicians (Not a BA, but an AA).  I know you said the new grads don't know much.  Guess what.  That's true of any new grad or even a new person in that position.  Figure it takes from 3-6 months before they can be left on their own and do the job in a productive manner.

Try the local JUCO or if you're near one a Tech School like DeVry.  Find a person and train them.  You have to make an investment in them beyond a paycheck.  There hasn't been one job I've held where I either knew everything I needed to know going in, or hired people and expected them to know everything they needed to know on day one.  But I tried to either soak up or impart that wisdom over time.  Those that learned and then applied what they learned, I kept.  Those that didn't, I didn't.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »
Of course it would be voluntary in private industry.

I don't see how a small business would push for a H1B visa fulltime employees, if they can't afford to pay wages of skilled labor, they probably are not very profitable to begin with and not selling their product at the right price or enough volume.

Actually, it really not that hard.  Run an ad in the local paper/internet with the job opening and the low pay.  After a couple weeks/months go and ask for H1B visas since there are no native workers available to fill the position.  Easy-Peasy.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »
Actually, it really not that hard.  Run an ad in the local paper/internet with the job opening and the low pay.  After a couple weeks/months go and ask for H1B visas since there are no native workers available to fill the position.  Easy-Peasy.

You would hope that agency that approves that request would ask for proof and see that you are trying to game the system. One would hope.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
You would hope that agency that approves that request would ask for proof and see that you are trying to game the system. One would hope.

Bwwwwwaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha*

Pepsico did it all the time when hiring Assistant Restaurant Managers (Very, very, very few ever advanced from that level).  But we had lots of Indian, Pakistani, and Non-Mexican Sud Americans filling those positions and that's how it was done....

*- Form properly filled out, attached ads, and any resumes received along with reasons for not hiring, especially if the applicants turned down the offer made.  Appropriate boxes checked, here's your H1B visa(s).

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »

Bwwwwwaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha*

Pepsico did it all the time when hiring Assistant Restaurant Managers (Very, very, very few ever advanced from that level).  But we had lots of Indian, Pakistani, and Non-Mexican Sud Americans filling those positions and that's how it was done....

*- Form properly filled out, attached ads, and any resumes received along with reasons for not hiring, especially if the applicants turned down the offer made.  Appropriate boxes checked, here's your H1B visa(s).

Like I said one would hope. Perhaps the same a-holes that run the usajobs.gov site, should switch over to immigration. No one would be allowed in the country if they ran it like they do usajobs.gov.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »
Nnever mind. This is not something I want to discuss on a public internet forum. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2015, 06:29:34 AM »
Back in the early stages after 9/11 companies and the government were hiring all the intel analyst they could, as long as they had a few years experience.  I turned down two or three jobs because I didn't want to relocate the family.  Fast forward to 2012/2013 time frame as we "pulled" out of Iraq those jobs now required a degree along with 3-5 years experience.  I don't have the degree but have well beyond the 3-5 years experience that the degree won't teach you and no one will even take a second look. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2015, 09:41:55 AM »
Maybe it's different in TX, but in CA, nursing jobs go begging. I have a couple of relatives in the field getting tons of overtime they'd rather not have.

Anyway, I don't want to start a whole big thing, but I guess I'm a little confused that on a forum where most of the members are all capitalist and Ayn Rand, that we're mad at private businesses hiring whoever the hell they want, and private citizens, whether born here or here legally, accepting whatever wage they want.

Ayn Rand is a great read in your late teens or early twenties, but the validity of her writing is vulnerable to assaults by subsequent experience.

Also, you mistake many self-described lower-case "L" libertarians (SDLCL) for Randians, an-caps, "privatize the sidewalks" types, and the like.  Many of the SDLCL are nothing more than conservatives who believe in the founding documents of our country.  Period, full-stop.  (They need a new label, since Big Conservatism no longer represents such quaint notions as found in those documents.)  They have not delved into the guts of philosophical libertarianism and seen how incompatible the underlying assumptions are with our founding documents and America as a nation-state.  Others are conservatives with no or little faith in lower-case "O" orthodox Christianity and could not care less about moral issues, but still care about America as a nation-state.  Then there are the libertarian conservatives in college who want to leave open the option of getting laid.  A full-up conservative front can be detrimental to that cause.  Best be "libertarian" and do as one pleases without being called out as a hypocrite.

Those who do not kneel at the libertarian altar feel obligations and values other than the libertine.  One might be love of country and its preservation.  Replacing Americans with surly and unassimilable helot-class minorities is detrimental to this end, as demography is destiny.  The magic of translocation is not considered a foregone conclusion by such folk.  Another is simple justice and moral indignation at the privatization of profit and socialization of costs that occurs with illegal immigration and many of the work visa programs.  To those who think it wrong to snatch the profits while leaving their fellow taxpayers to shoulder the burden of immigrant (illegal or work-visa) impact on our gov't & social systems, such private business owners are no better than a welfare queen or crony capitalist.

There are several threads here about the stupidity of college degrees as prerequisites for so many jobs, especially in IT. So who cares if the person with a comp sci degree from a crappy state college can't get a job, but the self-taught kid from Kansas (or Poland) with hands-on mad skillz can? Or that they may decide that they're fine with $25/hr, while a degreed individual with no experience thinks they're worth $50/hr, and dammit, it's the fault of big business that they can't find a job in their field?

I agree that credentialism is an asinine, but expected, result of our anti-discrimination laws.

Don't give a damn about the kiddo from Poland.  The millions of folk who are already Americans are more than enough for me to work up concern over.  Let Poland take care of the Poles.

It is the fault of big business if they collude to:
1. Keep wages down by mutual non-poaching agreements, where they will not hire someone from their competitor.  (So much for the free market in labor you were writing about.)
2. Lobby gov't to bring in foreigners to undercut American wages.  (Again, crony capitalism.)

I am just not all that keen on welfare for billionaires taken out of the backs of American workers, blue collar or tech industry.

I also don't see much difference between this and 'Right to Work" states. I think most here are in favor of them. Isn't a primary design of that system to allow businesses to hire who they want, and if a person is happy working at a non-union $25/hr job, vs a union $50/hr job, that they have a right to work at that lower wage if both they and their employer are happy with the deal?

Again, some folk place a value on America, fellow Americans, and maintaining a decent place for their children to grow up.  We are not interested in transforming America into a third-world oligarchy with a huge underclass, a thick upper crust, and a slim middle class.  America began as a country with a large middle class and relatively expensive labor costs.  Those high labor costs drove capital investment and innovation.  Bring third world labor to America willy-nilly and pretty soon you have a third world society.

I simply see individuals here legally via visa as no different than anyone else who may take a job at whatever wage. If the market approves, then maybe that's the correct wage. If the market, and consumers, see crappy service at that wage, or workers stop accepting it, or demand for the job goes up so much relative to supply, then the wage increases.

Again, as I mentioned above, I only have my one data point, but what I saw was individuals not only getting equally compensated, but individuals who worked hard and were eager to work because they went to a lot of trouble and were driven to get those visas. Certainly they worked harder with a better attitude than many of my US born coworkers, who had a "This is what I'm owed" mentality (though I also had very hard working and conscientious coworkers).

Take a gander at STEM compensation over the last few decades.  Were there a shortage, their compensation would be increasing.  But, it has not.  It has remained flat or tanked since 1973 or so.  That there is the multitude of data points beyond your Canadian buddies.  And the trend is downward for blue collar jobs.  The supply/demand curve is not suspended when the supply is labor instead of widgets.

I simply see this as market forces at work.

Open your eyes.  Lobbying for illegal immigrant labor and H1B visas is politics, not markets at work.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2015, 12:22:53 PM »
Excellent post roo, I just want to focus on one point for expansion.

It is the fault of big business if they collude to:
1. Keep wages down by mutual non-poaching agreements, where they will not hire someone from their competitor.  (So much for the free market in labor you were writing about.)
2. Lobby gov't to bring in foreigners to undercut American wages.  (Again, crony capitalism.)

I am just not all that keen on welfare for billionaires taken out of the backs of American workers, blue collar or tech industry.

I believe it was Friedman who said (paraphrasing here) that a company has a moral obligation to do one thing, maximize value to shareholders. That is not only A moral imperative, but THE ONLY moral imperative. Hence the common use of the phrase "It's just business" whenever a company has done something horrific and the people who implemented it need to try to establish some sort of moral distance between themselves and their actions.

This mindset is pervasive, and it has created this weird little tragedy of the commons where blatantly evil things (like buying off Congressmen in order to get corporate welfare, build walls, and seek rent) are not just seen as acceptable but as the only morally correct choice. If I can bribe a few Senators (structured in a wink wink nudge nudge way so that it's technically "legal") to get them to waste billions of the taxpayer's dollars so that the stock price of my company will rise, well then I have a moral duty to do that! No matter how deleterious the effects on the country, or how vile my actions may be morally.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• friend

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2015, 01:49:41 PM »
Excellent post roo, I just want to focus on one point for expansion.

I believe it was Friedman who said (paraphrasing here) that a company has a moral obligation to do one thing, maximize value to shareholders. That is not only A moral imperative, but THE ONLY moral imperative. Hence the common use of the phrase "It's just business" whenever a company has done something horrific and the people who implemented it need to try to establish some sort of moral distance between themselves and their actions.

This mindset is pervasive, and it has created this weird little tragedy of the commons where blatantly evil things (like buying off Congressmen in order to get corporate welfare, build walls, and seek rent) are not just seen as acceptable but as the only morally correct choice. If I can bribe a few Senators (structured in a wink wink nudge nudge way so that it's technically "legal") to get them to waste billions of the taxpayer's dollars so that the stock price of my company will rise, well then I have a moral duty to do that! No matter how deleterious the effects on the country, or how vile my actions may be morally.

Holy crap, I'm agreeing with Balog and Roo ster in the same thread. Has hell froze over yet?

On a side note, I know we all have a lot of common ground between us. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »
I still maintain that, should HRC be the Democrat nominee, she will be elected POTUS.  And I still see no reason she won't get the nomination.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2015, 06:07:56 PM »
I still maintain that, should HRC be the Democrat nominee, she will be elected POTUS.  And I still see no reason she won't get the nomination.

I'm really hoping Jim Webb steps up.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2015, 07:14:48 PM »
Isn't there some guy (former Governor or perhaps Senator) from Maryland(D) that's been criticizing everything Hillary that might jump into the race, O'Malley or O'Mallery?

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2015, 09:53:57 PM »
Shamelessly stolen:

Things  that I trust more than Hillary Clinton:

* Mexican tap water
* A  rattlesnake with a "pet me" sign
* OJ Simpson showing me his knife  collection
* A fart when I have diarrhea
* An elevator ride with Ray  Rice
* Taking pills offered by Bill Cosby
* Michael Jackson's  Doctor
* An Obama Nuclear deal with Iran
* A Palestinian on a  motorcycle
* Gas station Sushi
* A Jimmy Carter economic plan
* Brian  Williams news reports
* Loch Ness monster sightings
* Prayers for peace  from Al Sharpton

The person who stole it in order to send it to me says it's OK if you steal it.

Of course, this being APS I expect someone will want to add to the list.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2015, 10:05:12 PM »
Shamelessly stolen:

Things  that I trust more than Hillary Clinton:

* Mexican tap water
* A  rattlesnake with a "pet me" sign
* OJ Simpson showing me his knife  collection
* A fart when I have diarrhea
* An elevator ride with Ray  Rice
* Taking pills offered by Bill Cosby
* Michael Jackson's  Doctor
* An Obama Nuclear deal with Iran
* A Palestinian on a  motorcycle
* Gas station Sushi
* A Jimmy Carter economic plan
* Brian  Williams news reports
* Loch Ness monster sightings
* Prayers for peace  from Al Sharpton

The person who stole it in order to send it to me says it's OK if you steal it.

Of course, this being APS I expect someone will want to add to the list.

stay safe.

The Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton publicly appealing for racial harmony, self reliance and the end of affirmative action.

That do 'ya?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2015, 10:16:17 PM »
The Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton publicly appealing for racial harmony, self reliance and the end of affirmative action.

That do 'ya?

Bill Clinton with my 21 year old daughter

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2015, 11:03:25 PM »
Mike Bloomberg with my gun collection.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2015, 11:43:37 PM »
I must say, while I'm satisfied with my entry, you gentlemen both bested me handily in terms of brevity and poignancy of impact. Bravo.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2015, 06:31:15 AM »
Michael Moore with my hamburger.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2015, 08:03:26 AM »
Michael Moore with my double bacon triple cheeseburger.

FIFY

Uranus is a gas giant.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2015, 08:10:51 AM »
Second breakfast is still setting the bar a bit low, don't you think?